Which Tuner?

GOLDENPONY

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2002
LOVELAND, OHIO
I am thinking of getting a tuner for my '06 GT. The only mods I have are Corsa mufflers & K&N Aircharger CAI. The only other mod I am going to get is pulleys. Which tuner do you guys recommend? I want to tune it for premium fuel, and, of course, be able to read & clear codes. I am looking at the Xcalibrator 2-is this a good choice? I'm kind of "old school" (I'm 60) and haven't done anything in the computer end of an engine. Can you help an "old brother" out? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Good Evening my Old Brother,

You are on the right track. SCT X-cal2 is a solid hand held tuner. DiabloSports has a bit more marketing and programming ahead of them to catch up with SCT for this platform of Stang.

You will want to familiarize yourself with their website and their FAQs. They also have a very good support forum.

As for the electronics of the S197, you have come to the right spot. Welcome to the wonderful world of modulated Mustangs. You coming out of the Vintage forums? Many of our founding members are coming this way.

How is she running with the mufflers and CAI? All these new fangled computer modules under to hood can get cranky with a simple change in Air/Fuel.

PM me if you need additional help and are not comfortable posting in open threads.

Thanks Jenn

Hi Jenn,
No, I haven't come from the vintage forums, actually I have been on this forum quite a bit. My '06 is my 4th Mustang, my first was an '85 GT (I still have it), next was a '97 GT 'vert (it got totaled), next I had a '00 GT 'vert which I sadly sold to get the '06. So, I am familiar with the newer platforms, just haven't done any re-programming.
My new baby runs like a bear with the exhaust and CAI, but I know there are more horses in there just waiting to get out. I didn't have any problems when I added the muffs and intake, no CEL's or anything. My son has an '04 GT, he got a tuner and said he got a very nice increase. I'm ready to go the tuner route. Thanks for the info on the SCT Xcal 2, at this point, it looks like the one I'll probably go with. Mustangs are fun!

GOLDENPONY said:
I am thinking of getting a tuner for my '06 GT. The only mods I have are Corsa mufflers & K&N Aircharger CAI. The only other mod I am going to get is pulleys. Which tuner do you guys recommend? I want to tune it for premium fuel, and, of course, be able to read & clear codes. I am looking at the Xcalibrator 2-is this a good choice? I'm kind of "old school" (I'm 60) and haven't done anything in the computer end of an engine. Can you help an "old brother" out? :shrug:

You've only got me by ten years. Funny how us "older" guys are buying the new toys. I love the new commercial with the father & son in the empty parking lot at night in the new GT. "This is not a toy" Yeah right! The 07 is my third Mustang, fourth if you count the 66 that belonged to my parents that I learned how to drive in. I just about polished the "Vintage Burgundy" paint off that car in the four years that we owned it.

Suggest that you give Brent at Brenspeed a call. His number is 574-594-9559, web site is http://www.brenspeed.com. He can answer all of your questions. See my thread concerning my experience with him in this forum. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.