which would be best twin t3 or single t4

dastang2

Dec 11, 2003
tx
i am trying to decide how many turbo's to use. i have this t4 with 1.11 exhaust a/r and intake .58 what kind of performance can this turbo give on a stock lower end (stock forged pistons) 5.0 with nicely ported heads and f cam with 600 cfm carb and torker 2 intake. what kind of spool should i have. the turbo does not have a wastegate. here is my other options. 2, 86 svo t3 turbo's with the ar. 60 and .48 on the same car which has a 5 spd. and 3.73 gears. it also only has a water pump and alternator on the belt and has electric fan. he is not sure if that is the a/r so he is rechecking them. i heard the .60 and .63 is better. this is a street car that may go to track. i want good streetable boost around 8-12 psi and i don't want to run out of steam. would the single turbo i have be best if these other turbo are infact the .60 and .48 ratings. thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

From my other post... :nice:

" The 1.11 a/r on that turbo is far to big…and from the sounds of it is off of a tractor trailer which wouldn't be suited for performance vehicle anyways.

As far as the turbocoupe turbo's go, the .60/.48's work quite well…although if you are using the f-cam you are better suited with the .63's. The .48's run out of steam around 5000 rpm while the .63's are good up to 6000. Both will produce block splitting horsepower….but the .63's have more potential. Keep in mind too, the exhaust housings are interchangeable….and you can swap .63 housings in place of the .48's (and vice versa). "

that is what i thought on the different types of t3's. the t4 is came from an international box truck with a 466. i got it for my 6.9 diesel but changed my mind. what do you think would happen if i used it.

that is what i thought on the different types of t3's. the t4 is came from an international box truck with a 466. i got it for my 6.9 diesel but changed my mind. what do you think would happen if i used it.

Used it on what? If you used it on the stang, there is good chance you couldn't spool the damn thing...unless you spin to 20k rpm.

As far as using it on the diesel, it may be far more oriented towards that application. Still though, if the powerband is significantly different...it still may have issues spooling in the lower rpms where it's supposed to.

I think running the T4 you have is a reasonable option if you don't have the extra cash for a different turbo. I think you'll find that the turbo you have will run out of steam in the top end. However, with some porting on the housings you may be able to make up some of that loss. Most of the 2.3 guys that are running junkyard type turbos are in the same kind of configuration, running a turbo from a diesel motor approx. twice as big.

the turbo i have has no wastegate so shouldn't it be better for higher flow. how can i upgrade the t4 to be best for me. i am working on getting the t3's. i have a nitrous kit, could i use that to spool it up.haha kidding i am trying to sell or trade it for turbo parts. the t4 really isn't that big looking. here are some pics.

pic.php

pic.php

pic.php

the turbo i have has no wastegate so shouldn't it be better for higher flow. how can i upgrade the t4 to be best for me. i am working on getting the t3's. i have a nitrous kit, could i use that to spool it up.haha kidding i am trying to sell or trade it for turbo parts. the t4 really isn't that big looking. here are some pics.

pic.php

pic.php

pic.php

I can't see the pics here at work, but the 1.11 exhaust a/r is the killer. It is FAR to large to be able to spool with a small block engine. Your going to want an exhaust a/r closer to the .70 range with an appropriately sized compressor sized around .50 (were talking T4's here). I do believe to achieve this with that turbo, it will require you to get a smaller turbine wheel and matching housing. You would have to dis-assemble the turbo and have the new assembly re-balanced from a turbo shop. By the time all is said and done, you could have bought a properly sized masterpower turbo new.

As far as the wastegate goes, it's not a big deal that it doesn't have an internal setup. You'd just have to pick up an external wastegate and plumb everything up yourself.