While were on welders....

1973mach1

May 19, 2003
PA
Similiar to the question below but im looking at a different model and will hopefully order one tommorow. Me and my brother are both fixing up vehicles, he has a 1982 Chevy truck and I have the 1973 Mach 1, im going to buy the welder and he is going to buy the compressor, My question is similiar to the one below but im wondering if you guys would recomend this model here to do floorpans and tailights panels and exhaust. To me it looks OK but I know nothing about welders, if you guys think this is good im going to order it tommorow. My cousin is telling me to get a Hobart but its about 100 dollars more (for the model with the gas hookup allready installed) and I dont have much $$$ right now and would rather spend it on a new tailight panel and battery tray panel if this Craftsman will do. I dont want a junk welder but want something that will be able to do the job and I can learn on.

Here is the specs:
Easily converts from gas to no-gas operation
8 ft. torch hose, operates from standard 120V outlet
Automatic thermal safety switch prevents overload
MIG welder uses solid-core wire (requires tank & shielding gas, sold separately)
Gasless welder uses self-shielding flux core wire ideal for welding in drafty areas
Welds thin 24 ga. sheet metal up to 3/16 in. steel for versatility/wide range of uses
Uses .024 and .030 in. solid core wire or .030 flux core wire
Accepts 4 to 8 in. spools - up to 12 lbs. of wire
5 -.023 contact tips, 5 -.030 contact tips, 5 .040 contact tips, starter spool of wire
MIG gun, face mask, starter wire spool, hammer/brush and welder cart included
Welder Duty Cycle 40 percent @ 60A

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...gcemgdffmdflh.0&vertical=TOOL&pid=00920569000

Thanks,
Jim

• Sponsors (?)

I am no welding expert by no means but i just went thru this stuff, I welded with the cheap flux core and it sucks, then i used my new Lincoln without sheilding gas now with it and it is night and day difference, with the gas its tons cleaner and penetrate alot better. without gas i had problems welding lighter guage replacement panels to the old heavier stuff because of poor penetration. I looked at that welder too and it dont look bad at all, other things to consider is replacement tips, rollers(how easy is that welder to swap spools, etc) I cant remember but ask sears who makes the welder for them, its just got a sears sticker if i remember right

I am a new welder, but I talked to several people regarding the flux-cored wire vs. gas shielding. Everyone told me don't even try the flux-cored wire. It's spendy, but I think you should get the gas tank and do true MIG welding.

I have that welder, and so far I'm pleased with it. I read somewhere that the Craftsman welders were made by Clarke, if that matters. I've had it about three months with no problems. I'm sure it isn't the greatest welder on the market, but it works for what I need it for. I used very little of the flux-core wire before I bought gas. Mig is the way to go.

gbarber said:
I have that welder, and so far I'm pleased with it. I read somewhere that the Craftsman welders were made by Clarke, if that matters. I've had it about three months with no problems. I'm sure it isn't the greatest welder on the market, but it works for what I need it for. I used very little of the flux-core wire before I bought gas. Mig is the way to go.

I'm interested in that welder too, but the Craftsman site doesn't say much... How many voltage settings does it have? Whats its max output? So you like it ok then? Thanks!

You'll definitly want to use the gas. Especially for the lighter stuff. I borrowed my buddy's flux core welder and I didn't like it at all. Of course, it was a cheapy from Wal-Mart, but I know when the time comes I'll get the gas set up. The Hobart might be $100 more, but once you get the stuff to convert the Sears welder to gas the prices will probably be about the same.

There's an old saying: Buy good cry once......

mustang70 said:
You'll definitly want to use the gas. Especially for the lighter stuff. I borrowed my buddy's flux core welder and I didn't like it at all. Of course, it was a cheapy from Wal-Mart, but I know when the time comes I'll get the gas set up. The Hobart might be $100 more, but once you get the stuff to convert the Sears welder to gas the prices will probably be about the same.

There's an old saying: Buy good cry once......

I think the Sears is allready setup for gas?

Thanks,
Jim

JOHNS GT said:
i have a lincoln weld pak 100 and it works great. it's flux core but can use gas w/ a conversion kit. i used it to weld a inner fender apron and a rad support into my old 73 mach 1.

Is flux core any good for doing things like Battery tray sheet metal and tailights panels? I think they are just spot welds every few inches versus running a bead?

Thanks,
Jim

Before taking any stock in what I say, please keep in mind that I had never welded before a few months ago, and I have never used any other welders. With that said, the Craftsman is set up for gas welding. You will need a tank, a regulator, and a connecting hose. I bought my regulator at Harbor Freight for $25. I think the welder has a max output of 80amps (printed on front of welder).
Watch for it to be on sale. I bought mine for $299 minus 10% Craftsman Club discount. $285 with tax. For whatever reason, I saw it on sale on the website, but when I went into the store it was tagged $349.00. I asked the clerk about the price and was told they charge extra to ship it to the store. She said I could buy it online for $299, but once it was delivered it would run $349. I went home, purchased it online chosing the pick-up at store option. There was no extra charge. The price online was the price I paid. I picked it up 30 minutes later.
I wouldn't try to used the hand mask that comes with the welder. Buy a helmet. It was much easier for me to learn by using two hands on the gun.
Like I said before, I know this isn't the greatest machine, but it works fine for me. If I had the cash, I would have spent more. I just couldn't find anything with the same features for the money.

1973mach1 said:
Is flux core any good for doing things like Battery tray sheet metal and tailights panels? I think they are just spot welds every few inches versus running a bead?

Thanks,
Jim

yes, you can do them with flux, same metal as the core support and inner fender. i bought this welder because i'm also on a budget and it works very good for what i've done so far. when i can afford to i will get the gas conversion for it.