Whipple/Thump_rrr tensioner owners -- advice needed.

white07gt-cs

Dec 20, 2006
I have tried to get an answer to this question with very little response so I hope someone here can help me out.

I had my belt break and it only had about 1500 miles on it. After reading everything I could find on several forums, this is not an uncommon problem. From what I've read, the ablility for a S/C engine to rev much quicker along with the additional load on the belt/tensioner from driving the blower's rotating element overwhelms the stock tensioner which is prone to flexing, bending or even breaking due to the extra load which it was never designed for. Add to the above that I installed an aluminum flywheel which allows the engine to change rpm even quicker, and the belt said "screw it, Can't hang no more".

So I purchased and installed a new Whipple heavy duty tensioner, ie; Thump_RRR tensioner which I hope fixes this problem. I went from the one on the right to the one on the left in the pic below,

IMG_1993.jpg

My question is; where should the belt ride on the tensioner pulley. Mine is riding right on the very outer edge of the pulley. Is this normal? Should I be concerned enough to have the mounting plate milled so the belt will ride closer to the middle of the pulley?

This is how the belt is riding on the new tensioner/pulley:

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can provide.

• Sponsors (?)

It looks as if it is designed to allow you to use an 8 rib setup as well. Which would be a much wider belt compared to our 6 ribs. It looks like it would be normal if it is designed to be able to use 8 rib also.

Yeah, I thought about that too, but even an eight rib belt would be running on the outer edge of the pulley I think.