Who DONE IT

• Sponsors (?)

This memeber need to be nominated to the board...truely an outstanding member IMO.

bubba-dough said:

Attachments

• im000349uq0.jpg
    im000349uq0.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 53
*Old black and white private eye music plays here*

I reach inside of my trench coat and barely brush the edge of an envelope in the coats breast pocket with my thumb and forefinger.

The streets are still hot from the day's sun and is turning the pouring rain into a fine mist that makes seeing more than just a few feet down the alley, difficult.

I'd not done business with the One Legged Man in some time. Our last business transaction, if you could call it that, did not end well. I hoped, for his sake, that he'd learned his lesson.

I see a shiny flash from the corner of my eye. I know who's now making way down from the street side of the alley but I stay in the shadows to be sure that he's not brought any company. I doubted ole peg leg would cross me again but some folks just aren't too quick on the up-take.

He wheels his way closer. He's close enough now that I can his eye squint as he tries to adjust to the darkness. He's looking for me. Let him look. I'll appear when it suits me.

I cinch up my coat and tip my hat down slightly as I prepare to head into the rain to greet him. No sense in letting him get under cover or get comfortable. Let him sit in the rain. It would serve him right, bringing me out here in weather like this.

"That's far enough.", I say in a low tone. "I've got the information you asked for."

"Good.", he says. "Let's see it."

I loose the envelope from my coat and and extend it to him but hold it just from his reach. "Remember our arrangement.", I said.

"I'll remember."

"Good."

I let him have the envelop then turn my back to walk away. I don't even stay to see the expression on his face when he reads the contents of the envelope. What do I care anyway? I'd done my part of the deal. My hands were still bloody from it. I hear the envelope being greedily ripped open behind me.

"Ahhhh!", a voice cries. "I knew it!"

See? There was no need to watch for a reaction anyway. It funny how a single word, written on a piece of paper can change a person's whole world. Funny.

I tip my hat and heat across the street to my car. Time to find a pub and maybe some female companionship for the evening. Why should ole Peg Leg be the only one to enjoy the evening?

I didn't care one way or another for the word I'd written and given to the poor sod. I found it amusing however, that I'd spent this much time thinking about not caring. A word... Just a word... That's what was preoccupying my thoughts... not the word itself but what often, a single word can mean to the right person....

"fiveofanatic"