who drives in the winter? She is going to bed today...

DrSmith

Sep 2, 2004
Maine
I HATE putting this car away. I have had this car for six years (06 gt). I am trying to keep it as pristine as possible. The maine winters destroy cars and as we all know these are not the best dd for winter months.
Anyone who has driven theirs in the snow, how is the under carriage? My truck (01) looks beautiful...until you look underneath. When I put the super charger on last summer, it was amazing to me how clean my car was underneath. I can't see subjecting this car to snow and chemicals....but you never know.
Thanks,
Doc

• Sponsors (?)

I know what you mean about hating to put them away. All of mine are tucked away under car covers. They'll get uncovered in March, to start prepping for next season, which (hopefully) starts in early April, once they've swept the roads to get all the gravel up that they spread all winter for traction improvement.

If you've got a truck to drive, resist the temptation to get your Mustang out in the crud. It's not worth it. My 95 has lived in Alaska it's whole life, and never seen any winter conditions. It still looks new underneath, just like it does on the top side.

I've never owned a "show car" and only until recently was able to have 2 vehicles for myself... I have a full set of Blizzak snow tires for my '11 GT, but it's only really been out in the snow a few times. My second vehicle now is an '07 Ram 1500 4x4, so I haven't even put the snow tires on the Mustang yet... If this winter is the same as last winter around here, I won't put them on at all. It was cold a few times, but hardly any snow to speak of.

Mine went away for the winter about a month ago already. I will never subject it to salt. My brother has an 06 he drives year round, and my mother as an o5 that is stored winters. After one winter, my brother's under-carriage looked more aged than my mother's car has even today at 7+ years old.

Mine has been under the cover since 11-1-12... I miss her so badly! My first stang, 3rd high performance car. Always have a winter beater here in mn. Got me a 95 f150 for $500... My car is going to feel amazing come spring! I'll be putting a 1.5" drop, steeda shifter, and steeda cai and a tune in her before spring too... 4 months left... Just 4 months... I hate my truck.

Mine is my daily driver. Here in Jersey we don't get much snow, but either way I bought it to drive. Put two coats of wax on it in September and one in November. Let it snow!

I don't think the south was intended to be included in this thread... Y'all don't salt your roads... Y'alls don't get a foot of snow in a monday morning blizzard... A wind chill of 40-50° is completely different than what mn, wi, and ak get... Its like comparing oranges to jellyfish...

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think the south was intended to be included in this thread... Y'all don't salt your roads... Y'alls don't get a foot of snow in a monday morning blizzard... A wind chill of 40-50° is completely different than what mn, wi, and ak get... Its like comparing oranges to jellyfish...

3 years ago hear in dallas tx, we had damn neer 2FT of snow and a 1" thick sheet of ice. don't get snow ever year but, we always get ice. and i've always drove on it with a lowered stick shift mustang. with cheap summer tires,

3 years ago hear in dallas tx, we had damn neer 2FT of snow and a 1" thick sheet of ice. don't get snow ever year but, we always get ice. and i've always drove on it with a lowered stick shift mustang. with cheap summer tires,
Yeah, but by 2 days later it was gone, and Ill bet you didn't get far in 2' of snow in a lowered Mustang with summer tires. My 95 with 555s gets stuck in my plowed driveway. 6" of unplowed snow will strand a stock height car with TC.
Our snow arrives by Halloween, and is gone from the roads by Easter (when Easter is in April).

I could get mine out now, as the roads are clear enough that there are two tracks of pavement to run the tires in, but the gravel that we put down to keep some traction available at the intersection glaciers is hell on windshields, not to mention hood, grill, front fascia, etc. There are folks here who drive Mustangs year round; my son drove his 06 for two winters when his winter DD blew up, but only because he didn't have another choice. There's a guy up the road that runs his Terminator year round, with studded tires. But for those 6 months it's not a lot of fun to drive, because you can't do all those things that make driving a Mustang enjoyable. Not to mention the fact that no matter how good of a winter driver you are, you can't control the other guy.

I'm sure I could do it, but when I've got a 4x4 Excursion sitting right next to my Mustangs, why would I?

Here in TN, we use the heck out of salt and brine on our roads. Of course, people here freak out at the mention of snow. Unfortunately, my steed is my only means of transportation. I'm looking to get a 4x4 beater of some sort. As a homeowner, I'm always needing a truck for something it seems like.

I know exactly how you feel! I've been watching Autotrader for a couple of months, and just recently bought a 2007 Ram 1500 4x4, Reg. Cab, SB. It only has 34k miles on it and I got it for $16k! :banana:

It's in immaculate shape, and has new tires, too. They're Goodyear Wrangler Armortrack, look like a good tread for moderate mud and snow duty, but still nice on the highway.
20121008_190554.jpg

Attachments

• 20121008_190554.jpg
    20121008_190554.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 97