Who else has had the gears polished

white-04 said:
Didn't see it the first time, but have dyno graphs linked for a 98 Z28 and a 00 firebird run by a high performance shop. The testing write up says that Ford rears may benefit more from this process due to the position of the pinion, which causes Ford rears to be less efficient than GM and Chrysler rears. Maybe we can find more info on the 05 GT that got 7-9 rwhp gain from JDM engineering.

thats right. a friend of mine stayed with a gm 12 bolt in his camaro for that reason. it is not as strong as a ford 9 inch but it does not suffer from as much power loss.

• Sponsors (?)

the98stang said:
EXACTLY....then the polish is more worthless than it was in the first place. :rlaugh:

Most stang owners would probably save that $200 and spend it towards a SCT tuner or something USEFUL.

this coating is not useless. this is somthing you do for that little bit of a edge in race cars. I dont know this for sure but i bet pro drag teams polish not just the ring and pinion but also all the trans gearing too

BUT if you are going to go this far you need to have your rear end setup by a EXPERT. any benefit from this will go down the drain with a hack setup.

setup the right way this coating will cut down on friction and you WILL gain hp. but not many techs will take the time and set up a rear end the right way.

is this worth it on a 260 hp car that is not racing in a restricted class and exhausted all other areas to gain power.

i don't think so. save the 200 and keep saving for a supercharger or nitrous.

I'd like to point one little thing out

Although some people on here like to refer to me as a retarded dumbass, I'd like to say that the process is not "polishing" the parts. The parts are smoothed to a point that they appear polished. It is not something sprayed on them like chrome polishing. The parts are put into machines with a "sandy" like material. Then spun at a very high rate of speed. While this is happening the friction of the material against the parts smoothes them to a pointthat they appear polished. It is not a coating of any kind.

If the parts are smoother there is less friction between each other which would result in less resistance, heat, and horsepower loss. The process also makes the parts stronger.

On a personal matter, one more thing. I read the magazines to learn. If I see something that interests me, I turn to the internet to find real world experiences and proof that what I am reading is accurate. I search the forums like this one for the same reason I read the magazines....to learn more about my car in general and what steps I might want to take to make it perform better. I am finding that many of the Mustang related forums can be very informative and educational as well as entertaining......EXCEPT this one. Half of the posts on here are sarcastic, arrogant, rude or demeaning. When someone poses a question, for every post that might be someone trying to help the person, there are one or two posts of someone being a smartass. Many people on here are just rude. There is no reason for people to treat each other the way they do on here. There are certain people on here that seem to have nothing else to do all day long but troll Stangnet and look for people to cut down and smartoff to. It is really sad the more I think about it.

On this note, I would like to announce my early retirement from Stangnet. For the little bit of information I might have gained from this site, I have been constantly ridiculed, belittled and made fun of in other people's attempt to prove their self-proclaimed Mustang knowledge supremacy. I really feel sorry for some of you.

For the few of you that I have had pleasant conversations with and shared some ideas or laughs with, I wish you the best of luck with your Mustang and everything else in life. Take care................Ken

cvgtpony03 said:
Although some people on here like to refer to me as a retarded dumbass, I'd like to say that the process is not "polishing" the parts. The parts are smoothed to a point that they appear polished. It is not something sprayed on them like chrome polishing. The parts are put into machines with a "sandy" like material. Then spun at a very high rate of speed. While this is happening the friction of the material against the parts smoothes them to a pointthat they appear polished. It is not a coating of any kind.

If the parts are smoother there is less friction between each other which would result in less resistance, heat, and horsepower loss. The process also makes the parts stronger.

On a personal matter, one more thing. I read the magazines to learn. If I see something that interests me, I turn to the internet to find real world experiences and proof that what I am reading is accurate. I search the forums like this one for the same reason I read the magazines....to learn more about my car in general and what steps I might want to take to make it perform better. I am finding that many of the Mustang related forums can be very informative and educational as well as entertaining......EXCEPT this one. Half of the posts on here are sarcastic, arrogant, rude or demeaning. When someone poses a question, for every post that might be someone trying to help the person, there are one or two posts of someone being a smartass. Many people on here are just rude. There is no reason for people to treat each other the way they do on here. There are certain people on here that seem to have nothing else to do all day long but troll Stangnet and look for people to cut down and smartoff to. It is really sad the more I think about it.

On this note, I would like to announce my early retirement from Stangnet. For the little bit of information I might have gained from this site, I have been constantly ridiculed, belittled and made fun of in other people's attempt to prove their self-proclaimed Mustang knowledge supremacy. I really feel sorry for some of you.

For the few of you that I have had pleasant conversations with and shared some ideas or laughs with, I wish you the best of luck with your Mustang and everything else in life. Take care................Ken

Look Ken... You come on here with some info you gleaned from a magazine article. 99% of us know that much of the info in magazine articles can by inflated excessively. The majority of us do believe the basic facts about this process provided by Mikronite for rear gear sets.

Does this Mikronite process harden the gear set?

Maybe, I'd have to see a before and after Rockwell hardness test to be sure.

Does this Mikronite process reduce friction between the ring & pinion?

I'm most certain that it does! The real question is does it reduce the amount of friction enough to make a noticeable gain in performance on your average street car? Again I imagine that would be dependent on the amount of drive-train loss in the vehicle and the amount of RWHP said vehicle has. For example...

If a car is making 500 crank horsepower, but it suffers from 20% drive-line loss the resulting RWHP number would be 400. Now for arguments sake lets say the Mikronite treated gear sets reduce overall drive-line loss by 1%. Our RWHP number would increase to 405 for an overall gain of 5 RWHP.

I think what most of us are trying to tell you is that we're not willing to pay $180 for a set of gears and then send them off to Mikronite and pay $200 plus shipping for a smoothing/hardening process, and then pay to have them installed and set up properly (about $300-$500) just for a measly 5 RWHP.

Quit getting your panties in a wad Ken... you would have gotten these same responses from any Mustang forum you posted this in. Although I'm sure the kids over in the civic forums would have been a little more receptive...

If you can't handle a little good natured rib poking and sarcasm 'cause you have thin skin then that's a personal problem you need to deal with.

U.M.

cvgtpony03 said:
Half of the posts on here are sarcastic, arrogant, rude or demeaning. When someone poses a question, for every post that might be someone trying to help the person, there are one or two posts of someone being a smartass. Many people on here are just rude. There is no reason for people to treat each other the way they do on here. There are certain people on here that seem to have nothing else to do all day long but troll Stangnet and look for people to cut down and smartoff to. It is really sad the more I think about it.

That's most of the entertainment value of this site right there. Most ppl that get smartass comments deserve them.

cvgtpony03 said:

Like U.M. said you gotta have a thick skin to post on this board. If you don't and get all pissed off because someone disagrees with your opinion, then you're going to have a hard time at ANY mustang board. Maybe there should be a disclaimer that you have to agree to when you join this site, something like "WARNING: USERS OF THIS SITE ARE SOMETIMES CRUEL, SARCASTIC, ARROGANT, RUDE, AND DEMEANING. IF YOU CANNOT DEAL WITH THIS PLEASE CHECK NO AND YOU WILL EXIT THE REGISTRATION PROCESS"

Have a nice day!:nice:

This thread gets my vote for the most misspelled words, misquoted catechism , and ball busting...glad I just skimmed it. By the way WTF is a "grease money" and what would be a "brass tax"? Just figured I'd get my share...

Ill say this, if you want every litte bit out of your car. then sure, do it. PLEASE dont laugh at the idea, you can bet your butts, that the guys of the 60s all had this done on their drag cars. Dont be closed minded to new ideas...because there are really no new ideas, they have all been done in the past. And how it usually is, if you never heard of it....most likely it WORKS! Just like other things that may seem foolish to some of you.

Vaccume pump
side gapping plugs
indexing the plugs

Just to name a few. If you look at each thing, you would think "lol thats not going to do anything". But if I were to do all those things to a stock GT, and then race another stock GT. I would drive away from him...seriously.
Thats been a problem on here, noone accepts new ideas. Much like a group of 65 Y/O men. :rlaugh:

Read magazines with a grain of salt, read them for entertainment. never, ever read magazines to learn absolute fact.

there reality is just because you own a magazine does not mean you know how to due and independant test, that you can't be bought, you don't scew the results.

If you really want to shut everybody up.

1. go to the track.
2. record all of the conditions.
3. run you car.

then

1. pull your gears
2. send them to mikronite
3. re-install them
4. go to the track on a day with similar conditions
5. run you car.

Post it all in. Who knows call mikronite and tell them what you are doing they may give a break on the $200. Just saying you are right or someone is dumb becasue you do or don't have a magazine subscription does not hold water.

hotmustang331 said:
Ill say this, if you want every litte bit out of your car. then sure, do it. PLEASE dont laugh at the idea, you can bet your butts, that the guys of the 60s all had this done on their drag cars. Dont be closed minded to new ideas...because there are really no new ideas, they have all been done in the past. And how it usually is, if you never heard of it....most likely it WORKS! Just like other things that may seem foolish to some of you.

Vaccume pump
side gapping plugs
indexing the plugs

Just to name a few. If you look at each thing, you would think "lol thats not going to do anything". But if I were to do all those things to a stock GT, and then race another stock GT. I would drive away from him...seriously.
Thats been a problem on here, noone accepts new ideas. Much like a group of 65 Y/O men. :rlaugh:

i agree

hognutz said:
If you really want to shut everybody up.

1. go to the track.
2. record all of the conditions.
3. run you car.

then

1. pull your gears
2. send them to mikronite
3. re-install them
4. go to the track on a day with similar conditions
5. run you car.

Post it all in. Who knows call mikronite and tell them what you are doing they may give a break on the $200. Just saying you are right or someone is dumb becasue you do or don't have a magazine subscription does not hold water.

Well, even that won't shut up all the disbelievers.

Someone will say "bah, the track conditions were different" or, "bah, you had a bad/good day at the track" etc etc.

Even if he were to do a dyno before and after installing the "magically processed, stupendously new, discombubulated gears" someone will say that the gain, if any, can be attributed to the error factor with the dyno.

The bottom line is if you got the spare 200.00 burning that huge hole in your pocket, do it. You don't need anyones permission or blessing to do so.

san~man said:

Someone will say "bah, the track conditions were different" or, "bah, you had a bad/good day at the track" etc etc.

Even if he were to do a dyno before and after installing the "magically processed, stupendously new, discombubulated gears" someone will say that the gain, if any, can be attributed to the error factor with the dyno.

The bottom line is if you got the spare 200.00 burning that huge hole in your pocket, do it. You don't need anyones permission or blessing to do so.

so true.

san~man said:
bottom line is that a 1 or 2 percent increase on lower horsepower output engines wont make any difference. Its a waste of money plain and simple.

When you get in the 1000+, it may be a good idea but then again, 200 dollars on those setups is nothing.

san~man said:

depends on how many passes down the 1/4 you make. i am a big believer in track times if they are documented and enough passes are made.