who has an Optima Battery?

• Sponsors (?)

DropTopPony said:
put your hands where i can see them...

i'll be going yellow top next since my redtop doesn't like me letting it run dead all the time.

I'm on my second one too. The first one was killed by this box with a convertor my computer sat on. I promptly yanked that mofo out once I had garage space. Thank god I got the battery warrantied too because I saved $140.00 :nice:

san~man said:
I'm on my second one too. The first one was killed by this box with a convertor my computer sat on. I promptly yanked that mofo out once I had garage space. Thank god I got the battery warrantied too because I saved $140.00 :nice:
i've warrantied my red top already also...i had one for about 5 years...now i am on my 2nd in 2 years. I barely drive the car though.

DropTopPony said:
i've warrantied my red top already also...i had one for about 5 years...now i am on my 2nd in 2 years. I barely drive the car though.

That's probably why it dies. Some people have the misconception that starting the car and letting it idle for a few minutes "charges" the battery, when in actuality it doesn't. One needs to drive the car at RPM's over 3k to actually get the system to charge the battery.

You gotta get out and drive the gal more :nice:

The red top you want is model no. 3478DT, it fits fine with the included adapters you get with the battery. I just picked up another optima this week. I have never really had great luck with optima batteries. My first red top lasted 2.5 years, I just had to replace my yellow top only after one year, so I went back to a red top again, at least this time I will have a warranty since I bought it from autozone.

My red top from autozone in total with tax was around $184. Pretty expensive but when it comes with a warranty its worth it. My previous two optimas I had bought very cheap through my work with our interstate distributor, but I never got a warranty with those batteries so was left with two expensive 40lbs paper weights.

5.0's 4 ever said:
My red top from autozone in total with tax was around $184. Pretty expensive but when it comes with a warranty its worth it. My previous two optimas I had bought very cheap through my work with our interstate distributor, but I never got a warranty with those batteries so was left with two expensive 40lbs paper weights.
wow i bought mine from pepboys for 129 and the warranty is through optima for 3 years not the vendor...the vendor just honors it and gives you new one.

What are the warranty differences between Autozone and some place else? Are both of you just saying that Optima offers a 3 year warranty, the place you get it from honors it and thats all there is to it? I can get one from Summit Racing for real cheap since I got a gift card from there.

optima offeres a 2 or 3 year warranty for full replacement and will prorate a replacement for up to 4 or 5 years. You do need to buy it from a authorized dealer for that warranty to be valid. I bought my first one from a speedshop that wasn't a dealer but it lasted 5 years so it didn't matter..last couple i bought locally from pep boys and they are only lasting about 2 years each but was covered under the warranty. My next one i will have to pay for. I might look at a new alternative when this one is done.

edit: heres the warranty info
http://www.optimabatteries.com/publ...ct_info/automotive/starter/warranty_info.html

ProCharger GT said:
Well the Motorcraft battery I had lasted 7 years...I would really hate to spend $100+ on a battery (or waste the gift card) on something thats not gonna last 2-3 years.
if you drive your car a few times a week the optima will last a long time. My first one that lasted 5 years was when i daily drove the mustang and a bad alt killed that one..the last two died early because i don't drive the car that much anymore.

I got my red top at AutoZone for $120. I got a new battery tray at the ford parts counter (in stock) with new hold down bolt for $14. I took the new battery tray into AutoZone and test fit until I got teh perfect fit... A little adapter replaces the stock hold down and is a nice clean install. But the big monster battery looks a lot cooler under the hood. The stock hold down grips the big one fine but the sides of the battery tray must be trimmed away for the good fit. I almost did not buy an Optima simply because they do not make a direct fit replacement for Fords which I think is kind of retarded... I almost did not buy one in protest. But they are such a damn nice battery that I just had to get one eventually.

Kilgore Trout said:
I got my red top at AutoZone for $120. I got a new battery tray at the ford parts counter (in stock) with new hold down bolt for $14. I took the new battery tray into AutoZone and test fit until I got teh perfect fit... A little adapter replaces the stock hold down and is a nice clean install. But the big monster battery looks a lot cooler under the hood. The stock hold down grips the big one fine but the sides of the battery tray must be trimmed away for the good fit. I almost did not buy an Optima simply because they do not make a direct fit replacement for Fords which I think is kind of retarded... I almost did not buy one in protest. But they are such a damn nice battery that I just had to get one eventually.
you wouldn't happen to know the weight difference between the 2 would you? I will get the smaller one next time if it saves a few pounds.

DerekStangGT said:
the yellowtop is a marine battery. it isnt charged like an auto battery. :eek:
The yellow top is a deep cycle battery. Will last longer and is better for all around performance. Ive had mine for 4 years and my car is a cop/patrol car with all kinda electronic crap in it.

I chose the red top because it matched my car's paint :)

Anyways, here is the techincal breakdown on the battery colors:
red top - starting battery provides massive amounts of short term high level apms
yellow top - has starting feature of red top plus deep cycling battery provides long stable amounts of solid amps
blue top - in addition to yellow top deep cycle feature and starting feature it is also vibration resistant for marine applications

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info.html

Here is some more info I found:

What is the difference between a deep cycle battery, a starting battery, and a dual-purpose battery?
A deep cycle battery has the ability to be deeply discharged and charged many times during its service life. It is designed specifically for powering electrical equipment for long periods of time. An automotive or starting battery is designed for brief bursts of high current and cannot withstand more than a few deep discharges before failure. This is why it is unable to start your car if you accidentally leave the lights on more than a couple of times. For applications where both engine starting and light deep cycling are required, a dual-purpose battery is often used. This type of battery is neither a starting nor a deep cycle battery but rather a compromise between the two so it performs both functions adequately.

Can I use my Deep Cycle battery as a starting battery?
Deep cycle batteries can be used for engine starting but starting batteries should not be used for deep cycle applications. A deep cycle battery may have less cranking amps per pound than a starting battery, but in most cases a deep cycle battery is still more than adequate for the purpose of starting an engine.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of gel, AGM, and flooded lead acid deep cycle?
Generally, gel and AGM batteries have about 20% less capacity, cost about two times more, and have a shorter cycle life than comparable flooded lead acid batteries. However, Gel and AGM batteries do not need watering, are safer (no acid spilling out), can be placed in a variety of positions, have a slower self-discharge characteristic, and are more efficient in charging and discharging than flooded batteries (see table below). Gel batteries are more suitable for deep cycling applications whereas AGM batteries are more for light cycling and engine-starting applications.

http://www.trojan-battery.com/Tech-Support/FAQ/BatterySelection.aspx