Who has an Optima battery?

I played the optima game. I looked for unusual power draws Etc. My car was unreliable and a toss up if it would start in the morning or when i got out of work. It was my daily driver at the time. Switched to a Odyssey and never a problem after that. Matter of fact ive been using a "generic" guardian acid battery that starts every time!!!

My optima just seemed to enjoy discharging itself. The Generic acid battery and Odyssey battery proved it was threw no fault of my car. I let my car sit for a MONTH with an acid battery. Something my Optima couldn't handle overnight.

• Sponsors (?)

I think I will be giving up on the Optima battery after all. I charged it over night like stated before, and the car started fine the next day after installing it. I disconnected both terminals to be sure the car wasnt creating a draw on it, and when I hooked it up today to start the car before my cam swap, it barely started! I dont know the voltage Jim, didnt check it. Ive never had to check the voltage of a battery after every month of ownership. This is a ridiculously high maintance battery, and not worth the huge price tag that comes along with the hassle. It simply does not hold a charge whether its in the car or out.

hollywoodstang, even some AGM-specific chargers may not recognize or send current to batteries discharged below a certain voltage threshold. If that was the case with your charger, you could've left it on for 12 days and it still wouldn't have provided any charge. It may be worth charging the battery in parallel with another battery that has good voltage, like we describe in this video. This will allow the charger to “see” a battery with good voltage, while providing current to the discharged battery.

I am concerned that you have noticed leaking at the negative terminal on two different batteries, although it is difficult to see in those pictures. Two of the most-common causes for this are overtightening on the terminal connectors and batteries that are not properly-secured. I don't know if either is an issue in your situation, but it would be worth taking a closer look at both.

95Vert383AOD, I'm sorry to hear our batteries didn't work out for you, but I'm glad your situation has been resolved.

Nick, I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with your battery. Measuring the voltage of any battery doesn't take very long and will give you a very good idea of the state of charge. For instance, a deeply-discharged battery can be charged overnight and have just enough voltage to start a vehicle, but still need more charging. This can place additional strain on an alternator and if underdrive pulleys are being used, the car may end up being parked with less voltage than when it was started.

In a way, not knowing the voltage of your battery is like having a broken gas gauge in your car and then putting an unknown quantity of gas in your tank. If you go to start the car a month later and find it out of gas, you end up asking yourself where the gas went, when you don't know how much you had in the first place, whether the pump was working or if there was a leak in the tank. If you fully-charge your battery and it reads 12.8 volts and drops down to 12.1 volts after 12 hours, with nothing connected to it, it's easy to point to the battery as the source of the problem. Without voltage measurement, you're just left guessing.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
Optima Batteries | Facebook

I don't have an optima in the cobra YET. Just waiting for my old battery to give me a reason. I've been running a red top in my tahoe for at least 3 years with never a hint of a problem. Very satisfied with the product and the technology behind them.

Optima

OptimaJim

I already tried the charging the battery in parallel with another battery that has good voltage. My Optima got really really "HOT" so i stopped and tried again after it cooled, Threw a red light on my charger.

And you can't over tight those gold terminals, And I am not stupid to tight anything that tight. I will take this as an insult to my automotive knowledge.

Really? I am going to tighten the terminals until the post breaks? Give me a break.

I even posted the pictures as a proof :mad:

OptimaJim

I am sorry but it sounds like you are just here and other forums to make excuse and somehow turn this around to us for "Your" faulty batteries.

I have spent almost $170 each pop for these batteries, and it really is disappointing. Since you are a eCare Manager for OPTIMA Batteries, I thought you CAN do something for me or to the people who are having trouble and that's what being a manger is all about. MANAGE not making EXCUSE.

Matter of fact I know you can replace all these bad battery if you really wanted to help, and it wont cost YOU a dime. + you get good reviews.

I know, I have been a manager for a LONG time as well in automotive industry, Customer relations to sales to parts .

I also heard these battery fails way too often in Porsche community as well (I work for Porsche dealership by the way).

Jim, stop making people buy a charger that they don't need and try to RE-charge your faulty batteries. Just replace it. It's so simple. Stand behind your product.

I am gonna stop right here and just replace this battery with another brand, BUT I will spread the word about these Optima batteries for sure.

By the way, Aren't you sick and tired of saying "I'm sorry to hear about the problems, I'm sorry to hear about your frustration" with these OPTIMA batteries?

If you are sorry one too many times and people are frustrated one too many times, Replace and warranty your "Faulty" batteries.

You have very valid points Jim. Im only frustrated because Ive never had to check voltage in any battery before, nor have I had to charge them this often. I guess I was just lucky with the prior battery being at the right voltage all the time.

I've got no dog in this fight, other than an interest in the batteries, because I'll need to understand the whole thing better before I do the battery install in my 67. That said, I can respect that OptimaJim has taken the time to come back here, knowing that he's going to get trashed. Hollywoodstang, he hasn't said yet what he will or won't do, but I respect the fact that he's trying to identify the root cause. He didn't insult you, unless you choose to be insulted (which you pretty much stated that you were going to do). He clearly said that he didn't know that to be the case, but it would be worth looking into. He's going by what little he's read on the internet, so he can't assume we're all expert mechanics any more than you can assume that the beautiful blond you're chatting with on that other page isn't really a fat 50 year old guy with green teeth.

I don't blame you for being frustrated, but give the guy some credit--he's here, and he doesn't have to be. And some of us have gotten a good education out of it. So far, he hasn't NOT stood behind his product. I'll say that after more than 10 years on car forums, this is the FIRST manufacturer rep who's taken the time to stand up for, and behind, his product on the forum, instead of watching silently while dissatisfied owners, who may or may not have contributed to the failure, trash the company.

Most of us are probably putting extreme demands on our batteries, just by the way we use our cars, and the fact that underdrive pulleys are a popular option.

I haven't seen a single attempt at "making excuses", I've seen some pretty in depth analysis at trying to help us all determine root cause for the failures. That's the only way to solve the PROBLEM, and not just the symptom.

Husky44

I do admit, I was little frustrated. And if i was out of line, Please understand.

But the fact is I own more then one car and belong to other car forums as well, and I do see Jim popping in and out at other forums and saying the same thing over and over, BUT have not seen him offering any replacement at all yet.

I will use this as example; I have a Suburu WRX turbo, and I purchased the header from BORLA exhaust company, 2 year later when I was doing the down pipe install, I found out and saw that the header flange on one of the runner was cracked.

So I took some pictures and posted on NASIOC, Soon enough the BORLA rep came in told me to email him the pictures, so I did, About 4 days passed by he sent me a email saying THEY SHIPPED ANOTHER SET AT NO COST!. and they fixed the problem and thanked me for forwarding the pictures.

2 days later I received the headers and the difference was they welded the flange around the all the header tubes. I was impressed. So I offered to send my original one back, The rep says "No need" I can keep it or do whatever i want with it, AND if i want to send it back he can weld the flanges on that one too and send it back to me at no charge, shipping included.

Now I call that a service and standing behind their product.

I understand Jim is trying to help and just showing up at the different forums and doing the e-analysis are enough for some of your guys, but if the same problem goes on and on, and people are unhappy with the product they should at least look into replacing them or giving longer warranty.

I mean, some people read Jim's post and goes out and buy the AGM specific charger out of their pocket and spend the time to take their normal battery out of their car and do the parallel charging and gets no results, Does this sound fair to you? Why do we have to go though this? Is it consumer's job to do the battery analysis?

I just see too many of these red tops fail, and I do give Jim the credit for showing up on the forums, But he has to be here, It's his job title, eCare Manager.

I am sorry if I sound negative, but I just like to see some results, I usually keep my mouth shut but these batteries gave me so much hell in so many different occasions and I see that there are hundreds of people just like me, and that's a lot of hard earned MONEY people are throwing away.

hollywoodstang, I'm certainly not trying to insult your automotive knowledge, just trying to offer assistance. When I post on public message boards, I do so knowing that the information I provide may not always help the specific person I am trying to assist, but may be of use to someone else, who may happen to be reading the thread. While I did indicate that two of the most-common causes for issues at battery terminals are overtightening of terminal connectors and improperly secured batteries, I also indicated that I didn't know if either was an issue in your application.

While it sounds like neither is the case for your vehicle, someone else may be reading this thread, who hasn't done anything to secure their battery in it's tray besides attaching cables to the terminals. I just spent four days on the Hot Rod Power Tour last week and saw a lot of that. If I can help that guy avoid a problem, even if it is with another battery, I'm happy to do that and I'm sorry if the information was of no use to you.

While some manufacturers do offer their own branded chargers for their batteries, we do not (although people actually request it on a regular basis). Newer chargers designed for AGM-specific batteries are a good investment if someone is in the market for one, but I have no trouble maintaining my own batteries with a 20-year old Schumacher. The truth is, we do replace warrantied batteries all the time and many of those batteries are simply deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly-recharged. My wife's Expedition starts every morning with a “dead” YellowTop, which was returned to us from a guy in New York, who was convinced it was defective.

If you did attempt to parallel charge your battery and it got hot to the touch, it probably needs to be replaced. If your battery (or anyone else's) fails because of a manufacturing defect within it's warranty period, we will be happy to exchange it for another, just like every other reputable manufacturer. Based on the date code and what I think I saw of the blurry serial number you posted of the battery not in the vehicle, it looks like it is still covered under warranty, assuming you purchased it close to the time period of the “1/08” date sticker on the battery. I would encourage you to return it to your retailer for warranty service.

I'm glad to hear Borla handled your warranty claim so well. I contacted them directly when a hanger broke on the Borla exhaust system on my pickup truck. After explaining that I could not return it to my local retailer because I purchased it directly from them, they also shipped me a free replacement system. However, they only did that after I provided them with my credit card number, in case I didn't cut up my old system and ship it back to them at my expense. I also ordered headers directly from them and even though they indicated over the phone that the y-pipe would fit on my truck (manual transmission), it did not and I ended up paying to have a custom y-pipe made. In reading your experience it sounds like you made out a bit better than I did, but I do appreciate the fact that Borla did make some effort to do right by both of us and my headers and exhaust have performed flawlessly now for nearly 100,000 miles.

The reality is that it is difficult, if not impossible for Borla, Optima or any other company that deals in the volume of sales that we all do, to have 100% customer satisfaction. We're trying to get as close to 100% as we can. My presence here and on other sites is part of that effort, even if I do end up getting knocked around like a digital punching bag from time to time. I do appreciate everyone's feedback, both positive and negative.

Jim McIlvaine

Jim

The retailer will not take it back, I know for a fact that my warranty ran out couple months back for 1/08 one and 11/07 one ran out of warranty period long ago.

I tried talking to the manager at the retailer and he even tried to charge it for me with their charger and failed, He tried to do a goodwill warranty but his boss wouldn't let him. which of course I understand. It's not his fault.

I really question the manufacturing quality of these optima batteries. I understand that the battery is only good as it's owner but I maintain all my cars very well.

I just can't take the risk and will not throw another $340 down the toilet.

Thanks for trying Jim

hollywoodstang, if that battery was a warranty replacement for another battery you had previously purchased, it is possible that your warranty has expired, as the warranty period begins from the original date of purchase. However, if you purchased that battery new, prior to February of 2009, it should still be covered under warranty. If you or your retailer has proof of this purchase, they have determined it no long works and are not honoring your warranty, please PM me with their contact information and yours and I will do my best to resolve this for you.

Jim McIlvaine

Jim, i put my optima batter in the trunk of my car, it is not in a sealed box, but i would still like to vent it outside of the vehicle. How would i go about doing this?

i just bought my car and it has a red top in it. my buddy told me it was a good battery, but after reading this thread i am kinda nervous. It was dead when i went to test drive the car:( lol but it hasnt given me any issues yet since i DD.

I never did invest in a volt meter, just charged the battery for 36 straight hours about a month ago.The car started right up, and I promptly disconnected the battery after shutting the car off. The last time I went to start the car before trading it off, it was dead again. That is with my battery being left disconnected while I was swapping my stock engine parts back on. I know Ive never confirmed the voltage of the battery, but after several overnight, and a couple 36 hour charges, I would expect a $160 battery to hold a charge longer than a month when there is no draw on it. Im not saying they are all junk, but I will never waste the money on one again. No other cheap battery has taken this much maintenance, hence why Ive never bought a volt meter.

I never did invest in a volt meter, just charged the battery for 36 straight hours about a month ago.The car started right up, and I promptly disconnected the battery after shutting the car off. The last time I went to start the car before trading it off, it was dead again. That is with my battery being left disconnected while I was swapping my stock engine parts back on. I know Ive never confirmed the voltage of the battery, but after several overnight, and a couple 36 hour charges, I would expect a $160 battery to hold a charge longer than a month when there is no draw on it. Im not saying they are all junk, but I will never waste the money on one again. No other cheap battery has taken this much maintenance, hence why Ive never bought a volt meter.

Same here, No luck reviving my other battery with AGM charger. Jim sent me an PM and act like he was gonna help me out. But since then He dropped the ball and never got back to me. Whatever, I am over it.

Not buying another optima battery. I'll just stick with everyday normal battery from now on.

Same here, No luck reviving my other battery with AGM charger. Jim sent me an PM and act like he was gonna help me out. But since then He dropped the ball and never got back to me. Whatever, I am over it.

Not buying another optima battery. I'll just stick with everyday normal battery from now on.

Service as flaky as their batteries Nice.

Seriously ive heard nothing but good things about Odyssey

ODYSSEY Batteries - Official Manufacturer's Site

Service as flaky as their batteries Nice.

Seriously ive heard nothing but good things about Odyssey

ODYSSEY Batteries - Official Manufacturer's Site

I called optima last week, had questions about a battery i bought from a friend. They were extremely helpful and thier advice helped me save my battery. It would charge, but in a day or two it would be dead. They told me to charge it on the desulfate setting on my charger and it worked out.

Have you ever dealt with thier service dept first hand? Why do you say its flaky?

I apologize for the delay in my response. I'd like to say I was on vacation, but I've been on the road working and away from my computer. 90lxcoupe, The only batteries we currently offer with external venting provisions are our Group 27, 51, 78, 34C & 31 batteries. If you do not have one of those batteries, the only safe way to vent it to the outside is via a sealed battery box.

ROBOTRON, I would encourage you to make sure your RedTop is fully-charged (approximately 12.6-12.8 volts) whenever possible. The fact that it was dead when you test drove it, but works fine now may indicate either a lack of maintenance on the previous owner's part or a parasitic draw that is discharging the battery.

Nick, attempting to charge a battery without knowing the voltage before or after is like attempting to fill up a gas tank, without a working gas gauge on the pump or tank. Some battery chargers will not put a charge in any battery that has been deeply-discharged below a specific voltage level (usually around 10.5 volts). Those chargers can be connected to a deeply-discharged battery for a month and never put any energy into the battery.

Leo, I do owe you an apology for not getting back to you. I did elevate your situation internally last month and usually when I do that, our folks are very good about getting back to me in a timely fashion or contacting the customer directly. Obviously, neither happened this time and I apologize. I did contact them again today and hope to hear back from them shortly about your situation.

Jim McIlvaine
Optima Batteries - Automobiles and Parts - Milwaukee | Facebook