Who has Bullitt replica wheels?

68rustang

Jan 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Please help me with Bullitt replica wheels?

Does anybody here have Bullitt replica wheels with the 4.5" backspacing? If you do would you mind helping me out with a little issue I am having with my own project? All I am asking for is some measurements and possibly some digital pics showing the backside of the wheels off the car.

My issue:

A few months ago I ordered a set of rear wheels from www.customwheelsmarket.com , more specifically, these. They are for the rear of my 68 with an 8.8" from a 95GT under it. They fit perfectly. Well it has been a while and I am finally ready to order a set for the front and after measuring 100 times and double checking those I settled on these. They will fit perfectly on the front of my 68 with a Wilwood brake kit if I use a thin, .18675" spacer. Well I have tried to order them twice and each time am told they are on backorder from the manufacturer with no given ship date. People have the 4.5" BS wheel in stock but not the 5.68" BS one. I am wondering If since the only difference between the two is the thickness of the mounting pad I could machine what I don't want off the back of the 4.5" BS wheel. It will not work though if the lug holes are machined too deep. I have the equipment to do it, I just need to see how much material is there and if there would be enough left after machining before I order them. Is there anybody out there that would be willing to pull their wheels and pull some dims? If I can get this figured out I may be able to make Power Tour this year seeing as it is starting in Cleveland.

More info on the wheels:

They are made in China by a company called Topline. They are marketed and sold under a number of names that includes but is not limited to Verde, Detroit Wheels and Replica Wheels sold by www.discounttiredirect.com. The story I have been getting from everybody is that Topline's factory is running other wheels right now and the production of the Bullitts is on hold with no firm date to resume. The part number for the wheels will be either 1119-7865s, 1119-7965s, 7865s, or 7965s. If anybody knows anybody that has two of these it would be appreciated if you passed this message along.

• Sponsors (?)

I can't see how this would work. Regardless of the backspacing, these wheels are designed to work with your stock 1" long wheel studs. You need at least 3/8" of the wheel stud sticking past the mating surface for proper lug nut tightening(enough threads). Meaning that at the very most you have about 1/2" you could machine down (and that would only leave a 1/8" lip for the lug nut. In reality, I doubt you would be able to safely machine it down more than 1/4"

Yeah, that's a pain. Spacers are always an option...

But seriously, you don't need someone to verify this for you. To machine the wheel mating surface down by over 1" is impossible unless 1 of the requirements of these wheels is to install 2" or longer wheel studs. Which we already know is not the case.

Yup,

I have a set on my '65 fastback. Back fit great, had to go to a 3/4" spacer to clear the upper and lower ball joints on the front (disc brake conversion, R&P steering). That was after I put a nice scrape on the inside lip of my new rims.

My guess is you would need the spacer in addition to the wheel.

MikeR

Everything you say makes sense. I was just grasping at straws.

If only spacers/adapters were an option.

I just need to find somebody that has the right wheels in stock.

Why arn't spacers an option?

Here's a 3rd option and what I ended up doing: You could have the wheels narrowed. If you remove 1.5" you will have the same effect as removing 1.5" of backspacing. Of course, you'll have a wheel that is 1.5" narrower, but it will still be plenty wide enough for whatever rubber you plan to squeeze in there (you won't be able to fit anything larger than 255's at most). Problem is that it costs money... I paid $120 per wheel to have mine narrowed.