Who has installed my color cluster?

anthony05gt

Mar 18, 2006
Maryland
I just picked up a used my color dash cluster and I'm looking for a heads up on the install. I know about what has to be done before and after the install. Just looking for a heads up on the actual dash install. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

PM afixer, he has the inside scoop on this. he will even send you the .pdfs of the install. i think he was one of the first to do this, but everyone i know of did it with a NEW cluster. i am not sure how they would reprogram it for your car and mileage. i thought it had to be in the original car still?!?!! (do you have a trick up your sleeve?)

My car is one of the first 100 built, so I guess I'm alright there. I here that a Ford tech has to pull the mileage information from the original cluster using their WDS computer. Then you install the cluster and switch assy. and have the tech install the mileage into the new cluster. That's all I know about the install. Bigcat, I'm a little lost as to who you said has some information on this. No tricks up my sleeve here. I read a post on this subject on another forum where the guy had it installed and shared the information that I just listed.

Thanks, I'll check with him. You can install the new gauge cluster and the switch assy. in about 5-10 minutes. I can do that in the dealer's parking lot. I just went out and checked it over. You just pop the gauge bezel out, remove 4 screws, remove the cluster, remove harness plug and install the new cluster. As far as the switch assy. goes, pop the fill plug out, install the switch assy. to the harness plug that's right there. I'm telling you, it's the easiest car I've ever had to work on. Thanks again Bigcat.

I payed $200 shipped for the cluster and the switch assy. will be like $37.00. Don Burton works at a local dealer and he'll just slip out to the parking lot and hook me up. He's their ace tech that hooked me up with the final programming I needed when I did the tranny swap. He was the only tech that was willing to even try to help me with that final step.

good price! a new cluster is about twice that price.. i can get cost + 10% on parts. might be able to save you a few $$. just depends on the cost of the part and shipping. ill call tomorrow and see what the switch runs me.

glad you found someone good that is willing to help you out. :nice:

anthony05gt said:
I here that a Ford tech has to pull the mileage information from the original cluster using their WDS computer.

What the dealer tech has to do is transfer the mileage from the main PCM to the new IC. The car should run OK with the new IC without the correct mileage loaded in the IC, but you will get strange beeping noises when you put it in reverse or go over a certain speed (60 MPH???). These are built in warning signals that the odometer has been tampered with.

i checked on my cost for the switch. i can get it for about $4.50 less than you, but when you add the 7% sales tax and shipping, its not worth it. maybe worthwhile for a differnent part, just not this one.

I appreciate you checking for me. I talked to Don Burton today and he said to bring it over when I'm ready and he'll hook me up. Did you here about him setting a new world record recently with 10" drag radials? 7.35 @193mph.

I did the exchange at my dealer. Rather, I should say my dealer did it. My car beeps in reverse, that doesn't really bother me. And it does beep when I drive about 70. My dealer acted like that wasn't a big deal. Are you certain that indicates the mileage has been tampered with? If so, anyway to get it to not beep??

stanmckinney said:
I did the exchange at my dealer. Rather, I should say my dealer did it. My car beeps in reverse, that doesn't really bother me. And it does beep when I drive about 70. My dealer acted like that wasn't a big deal. Are you certain that indicates the mileage has been tampered with? If so, anyway to get it to not beep??

Most Ford vehicles with the newer PCMs work that way.

Did the dealer transfer the correct mileage from your main PCM to the new IC?