Who has replaced A/C O-rings, common places for R134 to leak from?

what is the process for diagnosing a problem with them? From the way you make it sound, I could have a leak at one. The low side reflects uv dye but this is to be expected as this is where the system is charged from. Would the system have to be evacuated and recharged from replacing the service ports?

The cores can be replaced without discharging, but that requires a more expensive tool set. For the DIY person, it is much cheaper to discharge, replace, and then evacuate/recharge, assuming you have access to a vacuum pump.

As far as your fuel line question, it depends. The sizes vary depending on the hose and fuel line you are talking about, but the garter-spring connector is the same design, although maybe not the same size. Most of the time, you get a set of the disconnect tools and the right size will be in there for most any size connector you find.

• Sponsors (?)

UPDATE:

I bought a very nice little pen-light and goggles set from Auto Zone for $12.99. After having used a regular blacklight lightbulb and the pen light, I can confidently say that it is TOTALLY worth it to purchase the PROPER tool for the job. Don't use a blacklight bulb that is for a regular household socket.

So, here's the deal. I found my leak. It is in the rubber hose that is JUST BELOW the low side fill valve. The screw thread sticking out of the valve cover rubbed/burned a hole in the hose and when I fiddle with the hose I can hear something leaking out. So thats it. Picture's attached.

Can someone please tell me the proper name of this hose? Even better, if you work for ford or have access to long part numbers, can you tell me the part number for this hose? Pictures attached.

Flickr: poindexternasty's Photostream for pics

That is the suction hose. It happens to be the most expensive hose. I know because I recently replaced mine as well. I just bought mine from Advance for about 70$. I'm scared to know what the ford dealer would charge.

UPDATE:

I bought a very nice little pen-light and goggles set from Auto Zone for $12.99. After having used a regular blacklight lightbulb and the pen light, I can confidently say that it is TOTALLY worth it to purchase the PROPER tool for the job. Don't use a blacklight bulb that is for a regular household socket.

So, here's the deal. I found my leak. It is in the rubber hose that is JUST BELOW the low side fill valve. The screw thread sticking out of the valve cover rubbed/burned a hole in the hose and when I fiddle with the hose I can hear something leaking out. So thats it. Picture's attached.

Can someone please tell me the proper name of this hose? Even better, if you work for ford or have access to long part numbers, can you tell me the part number for this hose? Pictures attached.

Flickr: poindexternasty's Photostream for pics

It's very simple. There is a lock tool for this type of spring connection (same as most ford fuel line connections). You simply take the connection apart with the tool, lift out the line and put the new one on. It isn't a bad idea to put a little bit of oil on the o-rings so it slides together nicely. Evacuate and re-charge.

How did u replace that hose huff

I believe that there are simply two garter-spring connectors. One down close to the A/C compressor where the suction line attaches to a tube on the block that bolts to the compressor itself. The other end attaches to the drier. Just discharge before disconnecting or it can be dangerous and that hose end will go wild releasing 100+ psi.

Go to Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto and they have pictures of the hoses. They sell 4seasons as well as Motorcraft and ACDelco. If you didn't have a compressor failure you can probably get away with a new hose, vacuum the system and recharge. I would recommend a new orfice hose and a dryer at the same time.
Autozone has a "spring lock tool kit" for under $10 that will remove the lines. 4 sizes of plastic tools that work great if you know how to use them.
Bottom line: Fix your leaks (hoses), install a new orfice, evacuate for at least an hour, recharge. When you recharge make sure you have a box fan blowing toward the condenser so the system won't be over charged. If the outside temp is over 90 let it cycle for a few hours and get back on it.....:nice:

Alright cool well I think that I can handle this repair.

When I was messing with the leaky line, I heard something hissing out of it. So there is still something inside of the system.

Should I evacuate the system PRIOR to working on it, just to make sure that it isn't under pressure? HVAC is nasty stuff when it goes wrong, I don't want to freeze my eyeballs off.

HVAC gurus: Are you familiar with a guide or walk-thru on the internet or on the forum somewhere that outlines the procedure for evacuating and charging the system?

Also, how much and what type of PAG oil needs to go in the system? I have read 2-2.5 cans of R134 are needed, but what about oil?

Thanks!

You shouldn't need to add any oil. The oil is evenly distrubuted through the system, so no more than 1oz for sure. I think when I replaced my condensor, they recommended adding 1oz of oil, and it has a LOT more surface area for oil to stick to than that single hose. I wouldn't add any.

Alright cool well I think that I can handle this repair.

When I was messing with the leaky line, I heard something hissing out of it. So there is still something inside of the system.

Should I evacuate the system PRIOR to working on it, just to make sure that it isn't under pressure? HVAC is nasty stuff when it goes wrong, I don't want to freeze my eyeballs off.

HVAC gurus: Are you familiar with a guide or walk-thru on the internet or on the forum somewhere that outlines the procedure for evacuating and charging the system?

Also, how much and what type of PAG oil needs to go in the system? I have read 2-2.5 cans of R134 are needed, but what about oil?

Thanks!

No step-by-step although advanced/autozone sell one of the typical haynes books on A/C repair.

Here's the procedure:

1. discharge the system so that a gauge reads 0 PSIG.

2. remove old hose. I would probably remove the end that is "highest" first (the end by the drier) and then hold the hose up vertically to allow any compressor oil that is in it to drain down toward the compressor so that you don't remove any by accident.

3. use a drop or two of what is left in the hose to lube the new hose o-rings, or you can spend 5 bucks and buy a can of PAG-type oil (weight doesn't matter, you are not going to pour any in to the system, just lube the o-rings so they don't get pinched/nicked/etc during installation.

4. Connect the new hose making sure you hear a "click" when the spring snaps closed.

5. Connect a vacuum pump thru a set of manifold gauges and pull a 250 micron vacuum (if you don't have digital gauges that read in microns, pull at least a 29" vacuum and let the pump run for 30 minutes after getting to that level. If you can't get to 29" either the pump is no good or you have a leak.

6. After 30 minutes at 29" or better, close the manifold gauge valves and turn off the pump. The vacuum should hold for at least 5 minutes with no appreciable drop. If you have a digital gauge set, it should stay below 1000 microns or so. If it rises to about 1500 and stops, you still have moisture in the system. Turn the pump on, open the valves again, and go for another 30 minutes.

7. When you can hold a strong vacuum for several minutes with the pump off and valves closed, you are ready to charge. This is the easy part. Under your hood, there is a sticker that tells you the proper charge. Best way to charge is to get enough cans to that you have more than enough R134a to charge. 3 cans is a slight overcharge although without my book handy I don't remember the exact charge weight. Take the first can, connect to the manifold, but before charging, let the hose attached to the can leak for a couple of seconds at the manifold to get the air out of the hose. Now turn the can upside down and charge into the low-pressure side. You won't get the whole can in, probably, before the pressure becomes too high. You can heat the can using hot water, or you can crank the car and finish charging.

8. If you are going to crank the car, give the system a few minutes first, so that there is no liquid in a bad place. Now there are two options, depending on how your A/C is piped. If the suction line valve is before the drier (the connection would go valve, drier, compressor) then you can safely charge using liquid. If the valve is after the drier (so that you see drier, valve, compressor) then you need to charge gas only. So, either turn the can upside down if a liquid charge is OK, or right-side up if not, and crank the car. Put the A/C on max, fan on high, and open the low-pressure manifold valve and start charging.

9. If the compressor doesn't run very much, unhook the low-pressure cycling switch and short the connector using a small piece of wire so the compressor will run continuously to speed the process up. If it runs all the time, this is not necessary.

10. For the final can you need to be more accurate for the optimal charge. If you want, you can "guess" and probably end up OK. Say the sticker says "32 oz charge". 2 cans is 24 oz, 3 cans is 36 oz. Using all 3 cans will result in a 4 oz overecharge. Probably won't hurt, but it can be avoided. Use a postal scale for the last can, and just add what is needed. Once the weight of the can drops by 8oz, shut it off and you are done. Or you can make a fairly good guess by leaving about 1/3 of a can which will be pretty close.

If you have a good temp gauge, turn the A/C on max, fan on high, and cool the interior to a cool level. Then turn the fan on low and measure the air temp discharging from the center vent. It should be around 40 degrees, perhaps cooler. If it is down around 32 it will tend to freeze up more and your cycling switch might need replacing. 36-38 will cool the interior just fine, even on normal A/C setting (not max-recirc) when the outside temp is past 100...

Hope that helps. And remember one extra point. If you seem to have a leak, that the leak can just as easily be in the manifold gauge hoses and stuff as it can be in the actual A/C system, so you might have to check. You can always charge just enough gas to get the pressure up to 60-70 psi and use soapy water to find a leak in the manifold gauge set.

Missed your other questin. To replace the hose, you don't need to add any PAG oil. If you replace the drier, you need to drain it and measure how much oil is inside, and add that much to the new drier. The condenser might hold an ounce or two, and you'd need to add that much in if you replace the thing.

alright cool... I called all the parts stores around and nobody carries a vacuum pump for a/c systems for loan. I heard there is an air compressor driven type pump, does anyone know where I can get one?

I have seen 'em at westwood. But you need a _good_ air source. Something like 9-10 CFM at least, maybe more. And they won't pull near as good a vacuum. I have seen one at a rental center before (not an auto parts store).

There are two connectors. Look for the drier on the passenger firewall. Follow the big rubber-coated line from there all the way to the compressor. Somewhere in that section, you will find the suction-side access port. It is usually pretty close to the drier, but not always. Some Mopars have 'em right on the compressor, for example. But whatever happens, do not try to charge thru the port with the red cap (high-pressure). The compressor will fill that can full and cause it to burst with bad consequences for you if you are anywhere near.

Some are sometimes harder to find. But if you remember that things are set up in a loop, with compressor, condenser and evaporator connected in that order, and you remember that suction starts around the evaporator and continues to the compressor, and high pressure starts at the compressor and goes thru the condenser (in front of radiator) and back to the evaporator, you can't get too far off... You want the suction side.