Who put LED's in their gauges?

SMRcalidiv

Founding Member
Aug 14, 2002
Sacramento, CA
I am thinking about buying the simco/mrt gauges and thought that I could simply do the LED swap in my 2001 cluster instead. I was thinking either red or blue, does anyone have pic of either and know the exact bulbs I would need to buy? can you change the bulbs in the changes I mentioned?

*disclaimer* I did use the search button, lol, but the correct bulbs were still sketchy.

• Sponsors (?)

Basically you'll need aftermarket gauge faces which are clear rather than have a "tint" to them (like the stocks have green tint). I chose MAC gauge faces as they have a light blue, then I replaced the bulbs with dark blue LED's - it looks good, but doesn't light up the needles, and the lighting isn't even enough for my taste. I ordered some gauge faces from Speedhut.com but they ended up puting the text I wanted on the wrong side (RPM x 1000 on the speedo, stupid) and the redline was about 2500RPM too high. If I were to do it all again, I would go with a set from UPR and be done with it.

SMRcalidiv said:
I am thinking about buying the simco/mrt gauges and thought that I could simply do the LED swap in my 2001 cluster instead. I was thinking either red or blue, does anyone have pic of either and know the exact bulbs I would need to buy? can you change the bulbs in the changes I mentioned?

*disclaimer* I did use the search button, lol, but the correct bulbs were still sketchy.

I tried the exact same thing. After taking out the pod and almost cracking the clear plastic cover by trying to pry it apart from the dark plastic portion (highly inadvisable :( ), I saw tons of bulbs, none of which were the same size as those I'd bought and said fuggedabout it.

I went to the Black Cat Custom website and ordered a gorgeous set of silver gauge faces with red backlighting, which are coming this week. They can even put ponies on them if you like.

Benny- Your gauges looked about what mine looked like at night. Like you said, not bright enough.
BTW, I checked UPR's website and they have those El-Glo gauges on there. Check Ebay. I bought one's that looked exactly like that for 30 or 40 as opposed to 80 something from UPR. I liked them until they started cutting out at night. Not sure how long they lasted. Maybe close to a year, but for $30 whatever.
AmericanMetal - I want to see some pics also.
I just want some blue lighted gauges to go with the rest of my lights. Stock green is yuck

I talked the guy over at BlackCarCustom and he told me that they could make gauges that looked like my stock Bullitt gauges, only in silver and with a red backlit face. I really hope you find this thread and post pics because it sounds like they really have a sweet product