Who runs 12s with barely anything???

My 82 hatch runs 12.90's with a 95,000 mile 68 block, 78 rods and crank, just some 93 Ford truck heads, a Holley 600 and a C4. With a 4.10 in the 7.5 rear on Drag Radials. On the motor. It's been 7.76 at 90 on spray in the 1/8th.

I have just been chipping away at the time for a couple of years....

• Sponsors (?)

Rick 91GT said:
My 60ft on the M&H were in the low 1.60-1.61, the BFGS were in the 1.8's or higher they were pretty bald for some reason :D:D

Wow, thats impressive. I have been 1.69 twice. Granted my suspension is 135,000 miles old and original, but still. 1.8s on radials is very good, and Id love to know what suspension mods you had, like products and such. My next mods will be control arms, shocks, struts, etc... try for some deeper 12s on radials and my ultimate goal is a 12.2-12.3 on slicks before I either port the heads or go with new ones!

MuSTaNGPLaYR said:
I could be wrong but a car that normally would run mid to high 14's, would be very difficult to get to 13.1 with only a hellavu launch. Are you sure the car was stock when you bought it?

- and for the thread's sake, A bone stock 5.0 engine in a Notchback with a holley 174 blower. 17" wheels w/ street tires. w/ a bone stock c4 automatic tranny will get you into the high 12's no prob.

Eric's Notch might agrue with you Radio. His is a bone stock motor. Gears and a ton of suspension stuff....I Tried to argue with him, but it was useless, here's his car...

Attachments

• 510784_28_full.jpg
    510784_28_full.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 159
Killer50stang said:
Eric's Notch might agrue with you Radio. His is a bone stock motor. Gears and a ton of suspension stuff....I Tried to argue with him, but it was useless, here's his car...

Erics car is very impressive but far from stock (not taking anything from his times). It has pretty much all the bolt ons, full exhaust, all the suspension, in a lightweight coupe (Eric himself weighs about 120 lbs) and a badass driver. His motor is stock from intake to oil pan, and makes about 225 rwhp and 285 rwtq! It just goes to prove traction and good driving and you dont need a ton of power to go fast!

I will say his car is far from stock with just tires. I would have to see a stocker with JUST tires run a 13.1. Now if it had other bolt ons, and such then its totally believable, but thats not what the poster said!

WantaGT said:
I know a guy who is running a 5 speed, holley systemax intake, f cam and BONE stock heads and he's goin 12.50's.

I think I know who your talking about. Is it an orangish LX hatch and the guy is about middle age and has a mustache? Has a homemade cold air going through the head light lense?

one thing that i think seperates Rick is that he did it on a GT body, not a notch or an LX. the weight isnt that much, but it will add up when your trying to do a stock h/c/i and go into the 12s.

also, there is a car in the new 5.0 (just came in the mail today) that runs 12s on a stock motor, but hes a notchback too.

A GT doesn't weigh that much more. Take off the fog light support and fog lights, and then it should only leave about 15-20lbs in difference because that crappy plastic stuff doesn't weight that much. Do a plexiglass hatch glass and a fiber glass hatch, you'll weight less than a LX coupe.

25th I had, SSM lowers, 50/50's in the rear, 70/30's up front, Eibach Drag Launch kit, 8psi in the air bag, and subframes. It would yank the dirvers side tires just enough to see a tad bit of light, it put everyhting it had to the ground. mY best 60ft was a 1.601 on a .5013 light.

Launched it at 4200rpm if I remember correctly. I loved chasing that goal, most of the improvement came as I learned how to drive, this car was my first 5spd.

With all the advances in suspension now I would go with a www.teamzmotorsports.net suspension package, Strange ADJ struts up front, Strange ADJ shocks in the rear, stock rear springs and a coil over conversion up front, 150-175# springs.

Ok good to hear and those 60's are impressive. I run with a class of cars and even the top guys are only 60'ing in the low 1.6s with more than stock motors. Granted my car is extremely touchy (one pass will be a low 1.7, then a high 1.7 with no changes) but thats all suspension.

This is also my first 5-speed car too, and its too much fun for me to stop now!

93lx

i have a 1993 mustang lx with gt40 heads and gt upper intake manifold. i just purchased a turbo kit for my mustang. the guy who i am getting the turbo kit said i will be running 11's or 10's. :D

Lots of 5.0's in my area have exhaust mods and think they can break the 12's when they have trouble getting flat 14 second runs lol. Saw one guy in a supercharged 351W fox body run 12.35! :nonono:

Makes me sick... I wish people would consider gears, coil springs, control arms, weight, and chassis bracing more seriously. Or at least forget about the tinting, stickers, fancy exhaust, sound system and concentrate on POWER!

I went 13.2's with nothing but off road H pipe, 3.73's and 235/60-15 bfg dr's.
... stock mam, stock tb, stock suspension, stock catback, stock headers etc., and no weight removal.
this was at sea level.

I've since gone 12.96 with et streets, skinnies, long tubes flowmaster cat back C'n'L 76mm mam... no weight removal and stock suspension.
This in Phoenix Az at 2600 d/a.
Car would be 12.6's at sea level.... stock HCI, suspension, and full weight.

Later Coupes with GT interior are not as light as folks want to believe, my vehicle race weight is 3080, I weight 160.