who runs a short belt at the track?

diddylx50

Apr 7, 2003
I got a grudge race coming up soon and was wonder what size belt I would need for a short belt. The only accessorys that i want to run are the water pump and alternator along with the crank. I have ASP pulleys if that makes any difference. I measured it out and it came to be 43 inches for the belt that I think I need but I would like to hear from some people who run that same belt set-up.

Andrew

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think you can only run the waterpump, crank, and alternator. The crank spins opposite of the waterpump, so you need one more accessory (power steering).

I know it can be done, just not sure exactly what size belt, as I dont run one. I know when my dad did his he went to the parts store and bought a belt, tried it, brought it back, tried it, etc... until he found the right one.

I know that the routing of the belt will be fine with what you want to do, but I don't think the tensioner is at the right angle to run just those three pulleys. The way it is, I don't believe that it will put enough tension on the belt to sping the water pump. I am not positive, but I believe I tried that before, but ended up having to use my AC since it didn't work out. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong though.

Running a short belt makes a difference. When my car was pretty much stock and had full factory accesories, I ran 9.7 in the 1/8th and just by running a belt that bypassed the P/S and Smog I dropped to 9.5, and gained a mph or two. Then I deleted A/C and smog so I couldn't bypass P/S (or so I thought) and I dropped another 10th.

You can run just the crank, alt, and W/P by reversing the tensioner so it pulls up instead of pushes down, and using it as a idler pulley. It didn't make a difference last year because I had no traction, and I haven't tried it this year, but thanks for reminding me.

Actually if you use the alternator as the tensioner it works. Unbolt it, run the belt and bolt it back up. Also if the belt is slightly long you can take the top alt bolt out, move the alternator out towards the pass. side, and bolt the bolt in backwards (throught the front not the back) and it will rest against the side of where the bolt should go. Seen this done a lot and it works if its the only belt you have.

5.0GT said:
I know that the routing of the belt will be fine with what you want to do, but I don't think the tensioner is at the right angle to run just those three pulleys. The way it is, I don't believe that it will put enough tension on the belt to sping the water pump. I am not positive, but I believe I tried that before, but ended up having to use my AC since it didn't work out. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong though.
What your saying sounds right that there might not be enough tension on the belt if i run it that way. The thought of flipping the tensioner might work.

I have full accessories on my car, and I wanted to bypass the smog pump and A/C, but I couldn't get a belt long enough to get over all the other pullies without being too long. So, I just bypassed the smog pump, and I noticed a little difference in just that. I think it's around 69 inches?

When I by-passed my AIR pump I just used a 2.8ltr V6 GM belt and it was the correct size.... It was purchased at Candian Tire.... Unfortunately I don't remember any of the numbers on it and that poor mustang has moved on to a new owner. ( new one still under construction )

Heeeere I come to save the daaaaayyyyy!
BeltRouting.jpg

Damn....beat me to it. :rolleyes:

I have removed my a/c so the power steering is moved up in place of it. Those charts would of helped me out otherwise. Im only trying to run the crank, water pump, and alternator at the track. Ive seen it done plenty of times but when I want to know how it was done I cant find any cars that have the same setup. Thanks for trying to help :nice:

diddylx50 said:
I have removed my a/c so the power steering is moved up in place of it. Those charts would of helped me out otherwise. Im only trying to run the crank, water pump, and alternator at the track. Ive seen it done plenty of times but when I want to know how it was done I cant find any cars that have the same setup. Thanks for trying to help :nice:
I don't think you have any choice but to run your power steering...or at the very least an idler pulley in place of the power steering. Otherwise there's no way to keep everything rotating the proper direction. :shrug:

Can you run the belt above the tensioner pulley? If so, you may be able to route it similar to the first diagram (blue belt). Disregard the A/C compressor and power steering pump (as shown in the diagram) and run the belt along the left edge of the water pump, and over the pulley idler pulley above, to the alternator? You're going to have to measure the distance accurately with a string though.

Damn I wish I had a drawing program!!! :bang:

Gearbanger 101 said:
I don't think you have any choice but to run your power steering...or at the very least an idler pulley in place of the power steering. Otherwise there's no way to keep everything rotating the proper direction. :shrug:

Can you run the belt above the tensioner pulley? If so, you may be able to route it similar to the first diagram (blue belt). Disregard the A/C compressor and power steering pump (as shown in the diagram) and run the belt along the left edge of the water pump, and over the pulley idler pulley above, to the alternator? You're going to have to measure the distance accurately with a string though.

Damn I wish I had a drawing program!!! :bang:
I understand exactly what you are saying. Thats the way that im gonna run it so I just have to make sure that I have my measurement right like you said.

Andrew

Just keep in mind that the tensioner isn't likely to work that other way, so when you measure it, make sure that it's depressed as far as it will go, otherwise I doubt it will be tight enough. You might even have to stretch the belt on.