Who runs no wipers?

Do you have wipers on non-trailered car?

• Yes

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
I'm contemplating deleting my wipers, motor, everything on the notch. The car wont be a DD but it will be driven to and from the track (autocross) and the occasional Stang meet.
Who runs no wipers with something like Rain-X? Comments??
Oh yeah, I'm in Florida.

• Sponsors (?)

Take my word for it, I didn't put the wipers on my car for a little when I first got it done. This is a car that will not see rain and guess what...

It saw rain, a few times. I'm talking mist to downpours. Had it rain on me 3 or 4 times with no wipers. Thank god I was cruising with friends and was able to yank a wiper from one of their cars. I say you can take them off, but keep them with you. There is a 95% chance you will hit rain if you don't trailer it.

Yep I have mine off but carry them with me. It's drivable in the rain but not the best situation. Besides, driving these cars in the rain is harrowing enough without having to devote more attention to seeing where you're going. My vote is pull 'em and keep 'em in the car.

If you don't take long trips with it you could have luck not getting hit w/rain. I've been in a ton of it while commuting to/from shows. Can't help it. I'd like to delete them & the motor but there's always that time. Heck, I got caught in it once when my multi function switch died and I couldn't turn them on anyway. That SUCKED but thankfully it passed quickly. I was on the highway no less, then had to go 20 min. through towns. Aside from that, I'd surely get pulled over by cops for not having them on. Plus if I pulled the whole deal, I would fail safety tests every year. Reason I'd pull it all would be to weld up the hole and keep the firewall smooth, so I wouldn't be able to just toss it in on a whim to pass that test, either.

ramble ramble ramble

no wipers no problems usually trailer to track but it see's limited street duty. But I live in so cal. when it rains the news media makes a big deal of it so its hard to get caught out in the rain. chris

In most states, wipers are considered "safety equipment" and it is illegal to drive on the roads without them, regardless of the weather. Not having them is just one more excuse for the cop to pull you over when you're not doing anything wrong.

I guess I should have explained the reason for my question a little better. I'm going to run a cowl induction setup inside the cowl itself. The air filter will be in the area where the passenger side arm is. The inner wiper rod mechanics need to be removed form the passenger side, thus leaving the driver side inoperative also.

if you are going to the track only chances are it will not be a rainy day so I say delete them and use rain X just incase. I use the stuff on my car and if you do it every time you wash the car you should be fine. I hardly use my wipers because of rainX....KROWN makes some windshield treatment now that is wicked stuff I hear. My Dad is the manager of the Krown here in town so I might try some this year

Even with rainX (i even have the RainX windshield washer fluid) i still need to use my wipers in some downpours.

If you want to see how it is, just treat your windshield and go for a drive and don' use the wipers and see if you can do it.

Make sure you carry a squeegie with you to clear your windshield if it rains and stops and you have water beaded up.

I guess I should have stated the reason for my question. I'm going to run a cowl induction setup inside the cowl itself. The air filter will be in the area where the passenger side arm is. The wiper mechanics need to be removed for the passenger side,,, but the way the stock wiper motor works you cant just disconnect them as they also work the driver side.

Why not try the way the rice mobiles do the uniwiper thing?

Why not just leave the wiper motor in the factory location and eliminate the mechanical levers going to the passenger side wiper? That will clear the area for the airbox but keep at least one working wiper.

Why not just leave the wiper motor in the factory location and eliminate the mechanical levers going to the passenger side wiper? That will clear the area for the airbox but keep at least one working wiper.

The way its set up you cant do that. The motor has a rod going to the pass side which then sends a rod to the driver side. If you remove the rod going from the motor to the pass side there is no way to run the driver side.
The wiper motor spins its arm in a continual circle and the rods just swivel back and forth turing the wipers. I don't see a way to connect just the driver side without fabbing up a whole new setup,, thus just deleting them both.
Hope that made sense.

Are you dead set on this "cold air" set up? I can assure you, if you don't trailer the car you will hit rain with it. Hitting rain there is a good chance you will need wipers. My windshield was brand new, and then I polished it with compound and a buffer. I could have never driven when and where I have without wipers. I drove back from SC with one wiper on the drivers side and that was a chore.

I don't see why to take them off. Then you have two ugly studs sticking up. And the those billet covers look pretty out of place. I have kept them on all my cars, I don't take my car out when it rains, but there has been a handful of times when I got "caught" in the rain...when a nice day turned nasty.