Who would do HCI over a SC??

Nobody

Founding Member
May 9, 2000
Kenmore, WA
I have a '94 Cobra that dynos at 242/285 at the wheels with the stock longblock. I am looking at something like a $3k budget and at first I thought I could do a Vortech but that isn't realistic. After install ($800) and tuning ($1,000 with chip), a Vortech would be closer to $5k. On the other hand, I could get a pair of AFR's ($1400) and something like a #19 or 2031 cam ($220) and install those myself. After a dyno tune and custom chip, that route would be right in my price range. However, I am looking at a HP gain of maybe 30hp at the wheels vs. ~70 with a Vortech.

Why did you choose the HCI route over SC?

• Sponsors (?)

My plan is and always was to go blower first. One day I will buy my KB damnit! For the money, time and hassle I would go to blower before HCI in a heartbeat. Alot of guys like to be able to say they go so fast on all motor, but I wouldn't mind saying I go just as fast on blower.

95stangGT said:
If your willing to install the heads and cam yourself, then you sure as hell don't need to be paying $800 to have the vortech installed. Search on here, corral, and ebay and find a used kit to save yourself some money if need be.

I was thinking the exact same thing. It should'nt be near as tough as the HCI.

I just wanna get the "tough" extensive stuff done and over with first.....cause I know I'm gonna do it in the long run. But I need the HCI first anyway...cause I'm goin' to a 347... so my opinion isn't really relevant to this post.

On the HCI, I would have help from experienced friends. On the Vortech install I'd be on my own. I read through the Vortech install book. There's a lot of custom fitting stuff - more opportunity to make a mistake. I'll read through it again and see if I can't get my guts up.

Nobody said:
On the HCI, I would have help from experienced friends. On the Vortech install I'd be on my own. I read through the Vortech install book. There's a lot of custom fitting stuff - more opportunity to make a mistake. I'll read through it again and see if I can't get my guts up.

I installed my Vortech last week pretty much entirely by myself. The instructions are very good about the "custom fitting." If you follow the directions its hard to mess up, there are some frustrating times, yes, but it works out in the end. "Measure twice, cut once." :nice:

FlyBy763 said:
I installed my Vortech last week pretty much entirely by myself. The instructions are very good about the "custom fitting." If you follow the directions its hard to mess up, there are some frustrating times, yes, but it works out in the end. "Measure twice, cut once." :nice:

How long did it take you to complete the install?

Boost it and install it yourself. Isnt worth the 800 in labor.. want more power after that. get a power pipe ... then some smaller pullys.. still not happy.. get the afr's u wanted. You dont have to get a dyno tune eather right off the bat. The kit comes with everything u need to make it run. maybe not to max potential but still be ok till u save up for the dyno tune ..

$1000 for a dyno tune and chip? For that much you should be able to get a PMS (along with the dyno tune) instead of just a chip. Then you could tweek further as you make other mods.

$1000 sounds a bit pricy.