Who's going to the Nurburgring tomorrow?

• Sponsors (?)

What?!! You guys aren't jealous? It was pretty cool. 4 laps. 1st was a nice easy lap. then a 10:20, a 10:10, and finally a 9:45. In my opinion, not to bad for a non-prepped daily driver, with a rusty pilot`s first time out on that track. Learned a ton. Namely, its scary! The bumps, high traffic, and blind corners and hills make you think that the car is going to go airborne or a sight-seeing van is going to be around the next corner. I came off of the ground twice, and went too hard into a corner once, thinking for a split second that I was going off of the track.

Good news and bad news.... The good news is that I found my differential leak today. The bad news is that my diff is shot and another one will have to go it... probably a $1300 to 1800 repair over here. Hopefully, not more.

Still, it was a great time, and so many amazing cars. Next time, I will buy a Go-pro or video camera of some sort so I can post some eye candy for you. :)

Chris

Reactions: 1 user
The track is so long. I was watching Test Drive SRT Group and they took the new SRT Jeep Cherokee Hemi 440HP around that track. It was raining out and needed it dry so they let the public in to help dry it. They had Motorcycles, Buses, Pick Up Trucks you name it out there. I would love to take a few laps around that place. Does it still have graffiti on the ground around that 180 degree turn?

Me.jpg
Here's what I was driving ;)

Though it looks like the Carrousel behind me, it's actually a different later part of the track that has a banked curve and you come out onto a straight away. I think I'm probably doing about 80mph here.

The track is so long. I was watching Test Drive SRT Group and they took the new SRT Jeep Cherokee Hemi 440HP around that track. It was raining out and needed it dry so they let the public in to help dry it. They had Motorcycles, Buses, Pick Up Trucks you name it out there. I would love to take a few laps around that place. Does it still have graffiti on the ground around that 180 degree turn?

Here ya go! Just found this online from today's session:
Carrousel.jpg

I got to drive that a few times when I was stationed in Bamberg, GE. Though I did it in my wife's 2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman. Tons of fun!! Going 150mph on the Autobahn is lots of fun too.. and once at 120mph i got passed by a Smart for Two.

you lucky ****!!!! i would love to go there ive watched so many vids at Nurburgring.....its one of my do before dead things! congrats Chris!! you deserve it:flag:

Yep, it was amazing, but now that I've gone, I'm really worried that I'm going to spend thousands in brake pads, and tires. I can't stop thinking about it. I could cut so much more time off of the laps if I could get the to the level of familiarity where I could take the car to it's potential through some of the high speed relatively straight portions of the track. Thing is, it scares the hell out of me going 120+ through the bumpy, curvy high speed portions.... If you screw up and go off the track, you have no room before you're into a wall. I saw 3 different wrecks out there on Sunday.

Did you know the Ring uses some parts of public roads, and that if you wreck on the track you will be charged for repairs? That's according to this German lady i used to work with who grew up around there.

Yes. I've been told it's considered a toll road, though I don't know if that's true. There are actually posted speed limits that are applicable during public days, not that you'd get pulled over for going faster. Unfortunately, the end of the 1.3 mile straight is where you start, and about half way down that same straight once you've gone around the track is where you end. You can't do a "flying lap." You have to stop, scan your card (for 26 euro, or about $35) before you can go around again. On street tires, I'd guess I was entering that straight at about 70 mph, and I'd imagine with that much track, I'd damn near top out at 170 ish mph before I had to brake. I guess they're just trying to keep their customers like me alive.

It's a 1 hour drive for me. I've just haven't had the opportunity to go while I was commanding a company, and then in Afghanistan for a year. Now, I only have a few months left here in the area. Then, I'm going to be about 4 hours away for another year, but I still plan to come when I can.