Whos got a stroker/motor swap?

CrazySHO88

Dec 5, 2002
Norwalk, CT
Ok, I am starting to do my research as far as a stroker or a 5.4 goes. Who out there has done a 5.4 swap? Who out there has a stroked 2V 4.6L? What kind of power numbers do you have prior to and after? What major mods were done along with the stroker/swap? Cams? Heads? LT's? Nitrous? SC? Any info, good or bad would be helpful at this point.

Im not new the engine building/ motor swap game either.
Previous cars-
1992 LX hatch, 351W bottle fed, 590RWHP on the spray.
1994 LS/VTEC Turbo Integra- 344FWHP

Like I said, any and all help is appreciated. After getting rid of the 92, my GT leaves me wanting more torque. And I dont see it happening with 4.6L NA......

• Sponsors (?)

I have the VT Engines forged short block, not a stroker though... If you plan to add a power adder, the stroker really isn't necessary... Believe it or not, the stroke on the stock 4.6 is very nice..

reeber said:
I have the VT Engines forged short block, not a stroker though... If you plan to add a power adder, the stroker really isn't necessary... Believe it or not, the stroke on the stock 4.6 is very nice..

Im with him, I also have a stock stroke forged block. The stroke on our motors is already pretty long, and I was shown quite a few stroker motors that had failed due to side load on the pistons and the piston getting unstable. When you stroke a 4.6L there is a possibility that the piston could actuallly leave the cylinder wall on he down stroke,.. not what I am looking for after spending 3500 on an engine lol.

So than are you talking about the GT sportsman from VT starting price is about 3,495.and than what else are you going to need and how much are we talking about here? If I were goin to spend no more than 7 g under the hood would it be better just to throw a darn sc on it and save sum stinkin moola. :bang: :flag:

I payed 2600 for my forged block from a local guy. went with stock displacement. I will be adding some type of power adder down the road.. either a centri or the gas. I am of the opinion if your gonna go blown then why not build the bottom end to really handle it. I think 2600 is a small price to pay for peace of mind and the ability to run alot of boost.

4.6l stroker (302)
PROS:
Peak horse power won’t change much, but more torque will give you more average power under the curve. This is true, low end is great!
CONS:
The talk about the instability in the pistons is probably true. I have only had mine for 2 month, still truckin... don’t know how long it will last though.
HOWEVER, if I were to change out the whole engine, and wanted good n/a power, I would definitely go with the 5.4. You can’t beat it for the money, (I think).

I got the stroker s/b because I had already invested so much into my heads, cams and everything else...
If I were to do it all over again, I might have gone with a 5.4 swap before doing anything else, but hind sight is always 20/20.
I just never thought I would ever go this far.
Once you start, you can’t stop. It’s an addiction