Who's passing emissions without smog equip.?

Ozz

I think I have a problem here.
Founding Member
Jul 27, 2001
Canton, MI
The time has come, I'm most likely going to take this **** outta the car for good. Had the upper half apart today for some work and noticed, again, a couple of my lines were fried in half by the headers. That in addition to the mess that's there is just too much to put up with anymore. If you know my car you know what I mean, I can't handle things not being neat, and the blower setup just messes it up.

The car just passed emissions a couple weeks ago without these lines so they're not doing much either way. I know a few people who have taken their smog equipment out and pass emissions, but I can't help but want more assurance :)

I'll be keeping my cats, FWIW.

• Sponsors (?)

Was wondering the same myself. I think you'd be o.k. as long as they dont do a visual inspection.

Was also wondering if it triggers a check engine light when disconnected and how to get rid of it (the light).

They check for cats but that's it. That's a big no-no that I will not take off. What's funny is I failed one year when I had stock cats, all smog stuff, etc., and only because my pipes were too loud. :rlaugh: I tell that story a lot here but it's still crazy. Oh well.

IF the CE light should come on, that's no problem, my tuner can just hook me up to the diagnostics and tell the EEC that it's ok so it'll only come on for other problems.

That's part of my dilemma. I have no idea what any of it is, so I couldn't fix it. Seems I can't find where one of them attaches either, which is another problem. Makes me wonder what it's doing there if not being attached to anything in the first place :shrug:

FWIW, it's a hard black platic tube that comes off of the 4-hose/line plastic piece that resides int he back of the engine bay. All I know is that stuff goes to emissions business

mansonozz said:
The car just passed emissions a couple weeks ago without these lines so they're not doing much either way. I know a few people who have taken their smog equipment out and pass emissions, but I can't help but want more assurance :)

I'll be keeping my cats, FWIW.

mansonozz, if you take your smog stuff off, I would definitely keep it in case you have to throw it back on to pass emissions later.

I've had a couple stock 5.0's with no cats that used to make it through emissions, but not by much. They recently started using the dynos again in my county, and I had to put cats back on one of my cars to get it through this year.

From what I have heard, cats don't do much of anything without the air pump hooked into them. Anyone know for sure? If you need cats for inspection purposes, you could always hollow them out so it looks like they are there. Probably wouldn't want to do that to a fancy high perfromance h-pipe though. Even then they can still tell if your cats are functioning by measuring the temperature of the pipe before and after the cats.

I don't beleive that removing cats on our cars will trigger a check engine light. I think that's only on OBDII cars that have o2 sensors before and after the cats.

Good luck! Emissions testing sucks. :(

Jeff

JuggalotuStang, very glad to hear that considering you're right around the corner from me and have the same testing :nice: Mind PMing me the place you go to just in case my place gives me a hard time? You can never know too many unrelentless places, you know ;)

from what I understand, if you delete the smog pump and run cats, your cats will be damaged significantly faster because they need that air injecton from the smog pump.

The newer cats on newer cars, though, don't even have smog pumps, so maybe your cats are that style.:shrug:

TheUser said:
from what I understand, if you delete the smog pump and run cats, your cats will be damaged significantly faster because they need that air injecton from the smog pump.

The newer cats on newer cars, though, don't even have smog pumps, so maybe your cats are that style.:shrug:

I've heard that too.

payupsucka said:
i deleted my smog pump and no check engine lights or problems with the cats so far

How long have you been running it like that?

I think my tuned AF ratio upon startup may make it easier on the cats, if that's the case.

Around here the fines for such "test" are so punishable by the state that no one does it anymore. I just wanna stay legal and be able to pass.

I really wouldn't worry about having no smog pump. I took my car for inspection last year and the guy was looking under the hood for a good 10 minutes. I'm using a UPR delete pulley. He didn't ask any questions at all. Maybe he thought my Vortech was a smog pump :shrug: ;)

Older cats (stock on our cars) did need the air injection, both for longevity and effectivity.
The new cats don't need the air injection, as technology has progressed quite a bit.

If you have the factory cats then you should probably run the pump as well.

my thoughts,
jason

oh yea sorry for not telling ya, my bro-inlaw said it was a no go then i forgot to tell you. i am dumb dave, we both know that. He got really nervous cuz my brother inlaw told him how i got pulled over for exhaust, though everything checked out okay.

LOL not a problem dude. I passed at a place here while staying completely legal and doing the test :nice:

Just now, I have fried lines. That = :nonono:

Thanks for the responses everyone. Good to know that about the new cats!