Who's running a roll bar or cage?

kttrucks

Apr 28, 2008
Tennessee
Hey Guys, who's using or planning to use a rollbar or cage for their street or track car? I'm just curious if most people are bending their own or if there's a kit out there for early mustangs. I still want to keep a back seat, but I want to have at least a hoop with a couple of down bars even if I dont have a full cage. I've surfed and not found anything that's an exact fit for a '66 Coupe.

BTW, I fitted my unibody to the "Muscle-Up" Chassis last weekend, it located very easily to the spring eye bolt perches and easily falls into place... I'll send pics after tomorrow when I'm at my shop again. Next is the 4.6 mock up and engine placement, followed by fitting sheet metal and some custom stuff I'll be incorperating. I'd like to have the roll bar thing figured out soon, any insight or suggestions are appreciated!

PS, keep your eyes open for the August issue of Modified Mustangs & Fords.... there's supposed to be a blurb about my car in there.

Thanks!

KT.

• Sponsors (?)

One thing to think about is that sanctioning bodies usually require a car with a frame to have the rollbar attached to the frame and not the floorpan. I don't think you are planning to race it at sanctioned events, but I don't think you want the rollbar for looks only. There may be some very good safety reasons for for this rule. If you decide to frame mount it you may have to custom bend one.

I hope to get my rollbar started soon. I bought a Jegs 8 point bar kit and may end up going to a 10 point cage. Jegs offers a different part # for 64-66, 67-68, 69-70 and 71-73. That is one of the reasons I bought from them. Some companies cover many years with the same part.

I have a couple friend that have offered to help with mine, both in the Spring Hill/N Columbia area. One has built REDs, jr dragsters, back half cars, and street car roll bars all in a 2 car garage in a subdivision. He bent all the tubes for a Bonneville S-10 project my other friend is building. With your experience in fab I am guessing all you need is the main hoop and rear struts bent. I doubt he would charge much to do that. Brian Cole might be another that could help with bending reasonably priced.

If you want to see if my main hoop will fit your car you can borrow it to give you an idea. Or I can give you measurements of my 67 rollbar. I also have the bent rear struts Jegs sells for retaining the rear seat too if you wnat to see them. They are a generic, trim to fit deal and not application specific..

i have a custom made 4-point roll bar tied into the square tubed sub-frames welded to the floor pan underneath. it's very sturdy. 2-points attach in the trunk. rear seats are still functional. i take them in and out when i feel like it.

I have an S&W 8 point bar but I didn't install the door bars. Mine is tied to the most frame direct parts of the floor and have had no issues at the track passing tech. Just make sure it's welded all the way around.

23195890032_medium.jpg

23195890033_medium.jpg

you're not going the have a legal rollbar and still be able to use the rear seat. period. on unibody cars, you have to use 'kicker bars' that go from the main hoop to the subframes, so there goes any leg room. not to mention having a harness bar inches infront of your face.