Whos running shift kits in their aod?!?!

85SVOGUY

Jan 21, 2009
socal
Hey everyone, Just wondering what shift kit people are running in their aod fox and which would be my best choice??? From what i hear transgo is one of the best shift kits for your money. But, alot of people on here have soom good opinions and im looking for some advice on which route to go. Its my DD but i will be taking it to the track every once in a while.

• Sponsors (?)

How much of a price difference is there between a transgo and a baumann shiftkit? Also how does it shift between the gears? Is there any difference between how shifts from first to second and second to third? The biggest reason i need the shiftkit is because i bought a motor off a guy who had a huge custom nitrous cam, and its taking up alot of vacuum when i shift from drive to reverse and so forth so it shuts off, and i heard a shift kit will reduce the vacuum needed so it wont shut off on me.

lol nice.. everyone has a shift kit but they dont know which one. Ill probably end up just getting a baumann. If i dont like it ill wait til i blow up the transmission and get a new one. I got like 130000 miles on my stock aod but it still shifts real nice.

lol I have a Transgo that I've been running for a few years now and its ok. I absolutely love it at WOT. It hits the 1-2 shift pretty damn hard. The 2-3 is also strong but by then my car isn't pulling as hard anyway. Shifting into OD is smooth but still firmer than stock. Then again I've rarely gone into OD at anything more than half-throttle. I'm too worried about burning it up so I'm always cautious when dealing with OD.

The Transgo is a bit too harsh for my liking during normal driving. It does shift at lower rpms like it should but the shifts are still very abrupt. It's especially noticable when I have a passenger. Their heads get thrown back even under normal driving. lol Also, the shift into OD is a bit sloppy if the shift happens "off-throttle". It seems to be a matter of pressure but I still haven't figured out how to correct it. If I'm on the gas when the shift happens it's perfectly smooth.

If I had it to do over I would spend a little more for a full valve body upgrade (ei: Lentech). It would be nice to have the full manual option which allows you to operate the first three gears manually (OD can be locked out electronically).