Who's running trickflow TW heads on their 331/347's?

Grn92LX

Fidanza Man!
Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
New York
I know its not ideal, but I might run unported TW's on my stroker when I do it. I'd like to see what kinda numbers guys are getting out of them? Dyno and track. My combo (when/if this ever happens) will be a 342 built by our very own Rick91GT with around 10.5-11:1 compression, TW heads, TFS R intake, Jay Allen custom cam, 30's, 75mm TB, 1 3/4" LT's and about 3200lb race weight with a TKO. Lemme know!

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

that would pretty much go against what he said. unported heads on a 331/347 versus ported on a 306?

im going to use some ported edelbrock performer heads on my 331 with a matching intake. from what i have seen they work pretty well.

trickflows are 1000 a set right? why not go with an afr 185 for 1300?

I run ported TFS Track Heats on a 357 (.030 over stock stroke 351W). The car uses the Comp 292R solid roller cam and a Victor 5.8 intake and makes 372 at the tires on a Mustang MD-600-HP dyno which is very close to 500 HP at the flywheel. This is naturally aspirated.

If I were you, I'd get out my die grinder and clean them up a little. Alternatively, spring for TFS-R or AFR 205 for your combination.

-Matthew

88SC_GT said:
that would pretty much go against what he said. unported heads on a 331/347 versus ported on a 306?

im going to use some ported edelbrock performer heads on my 331 with a matching intake. from what i have seen they work pretty well.

trickflows are 1000 a set right? why not go with an afr 185 for 1300?

I already have the Trickflows. Been running them over 3 years now. They have upgraded springs (which i'll change again for the stroker) milled to 57.6cc, gasket matched intake port and the seals were changed 2 years ago since the heads were off. Nothing afr touches my car, too many bandwagoin people on the net with them so I like taking a different route :) But like I said, I already have the TFS.

Grn92LX said:
I already have the Trickflows. Been running them over 3 years now. They have upgraded springs (which i'll change again for the stroker) milled to 57.6cc, gasket matched intake port and the seals were changed 2 years ago since the heads were off. Nothing afr touches my car, too many bandwagoin people on the net with them so I like taking a different route :) But like I said, I already have the TFS.

TFS's are great heads, no doubt. If you want to go with a larger head you could sell those heads for a good price which would take the bite off, but for now I would run what you have, then see how it feels. edit: Maby, since your removing the springs, you could do a valve job so promote sealing of the valves and increase flow some. Your right, some people join the bandwagon and do nothing but look at peak HP numbers and flowbench numbers, while many of us look at track numbers. People are always telling me to scrap my heads, almost convince me of it, but then I go to the track and race and I don't see why the heads I have are such junk.

while your doubting if they are going to flow enough, i think that your crazy. the TFS stuff is pretty good. Me and you both know that TFS heads will flow enough for what your desiring. There is no sense in selling your heads (prolly get like $650 for them) and then getting new heads. your on a budget. If anything, when the block is being done, have some minor things done to your heads... bowls and "cleaned up" a bit. You will make all the power that you need, especially in a street car.

i agree with you about people jumping on the bandwagon. i almost did too, i had my edelbrock heads, they are ported, good enough for what i want. saved me 1400 minus whatever my heads sold for. just figured if you were going to buy heads for 1k and wanted the best flow possible another 300 wasnt that much difference.

on that note i agree with n8miller, especially since my car is just a street car.

Mike I'd stay with the TrickFlows unless you want to upgrade to a much larger head, otherwise there is no good reason to get rid of them.

Did MCRP give you a price for some work on them?

Rick 91GT said:
Mike I'd stay with the TrickFlows unless you want to upgrade to a much larger head, otherwise there is no good reason to get rid of them.

Did MCRP give you a price for some work on them?

Yeah. He said about $600 for port work and a valve job + whatever the springs cost. I also considered the fox lake stage 1 cnc program. Im thinking for me, its more realistic to put them on as is or have some minor stuff done to them locally. I really dont want to ship them and then wait. I see how long my friends dart 347 is taking and thats too long for me :) MCRP is doing it. I KNOW as is box stock TFS heads are a restriction but how much, who knows.

Blownstang, I read your posts on svt and I will definatly say you change your mind more than me :p One week its a 331 then its a 347, then a 408, then nitrous. Its much easier saying what you wanna do then paying for what you wanna do.

88SC_GT, keep me posted on your combination!

Mike