Who's using and air/oil separator and / or Supra PCV valve

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by Mike92GT, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Mike92GT

Mike92GT Founding Member

I'm re-doing the PCV system on my car. I've heard that you can use a Supra PCV valve, which will help keep boost pressure out of the crankcase. But I don't know the part number or the year Supra it would have to come from. I also want to run an air/oil separator to keep oil out of my intake. Does anyone have a similar set-up? Pics of how you mounted your separator would be very helpful
  2. HISSIN50

HISSIN50 "How long does it take to get help in here? SN Certified Technician

I only run that stuff on the 94. A TC PCV valve is a nice OEM specific alternative. I dont recall the year of Supra valves I have heard guys use. :bang:

You can also run a brake check valve from the help section of the local parts store.

I kinda have a feeling you might want to use a heavier duty separator than the ones most of us N/A guys use. I have a rinky dink one and have removed the element altogether because it would clog after a teaspoon or so of oil had accumulated in the basin. So I now have a glorified little catchcan, and were I doing to use a catchcan alone, I would use something more robust.

I would head over to Turbomustangs. This stuff gets brought up often over there. A search should yield a ton of ideas (Jaz cans and bigger stuff like that, or parts from places like McMaster that people use).

Good luck Mike.
  3. RacEoHolic330

RacEoHolic330 I like to dress like a pretty girl SN Certified Technician

You want a pcv valve from a turbocharged 95 supra, don't get an n/a one. I'm running one of those on my car as well as a cheap oil seperator that is used for air compressors. They get the job done nicely.
  4. HISSIN50

Scott, any clogging issues with the separator element? My accumulation stopped after a bit and I removed the element and couldnt hardly blow through it. A few guys have had this issue. Just curious.
  5. dec322

dec322 New Member

Hey, I'm not trying to threadjack but I'm wondering about this also....I just changed injectors and noticed that when I removed the intake there was oil inside of it. Is this normal? I need to check my pvc valve but it seems like there is a better choice than a stock valve.
  6. Mike92GT

Mike92GT Founding Member

Thanks for the info guys. Does the Supra valve fit right in the stock grommet, or will I need to modify it somehow? I'm gonna go shopping for separators tomorrow. Where's the best place to mount it?
  7. Mike92GT

Mike92GT Founding Member

Yeah, some oil in the intake is normal, as the PCV system will suck it up from the cranckcase. This is why I eliminated my PCV system originally, but now I'm thinking it would be better to have it in place.
  8. jackchan

jackchan New Member

9. Mike92GT

Mike92GT Founding Member

Thanks for the link, that's the same spot I was thinking about mounting mine in
  10. Mike92GT

Mike92GT Founding Member

So I can just buy the small separator from Home Depot? It says it's 1/4", but my PCV hose is 3/8". I take it I'll have to buy fittings for it...
  11. deadlast

deadlast New Member

carb cleaner works great on clearing up an old filter element
  12. HISSIN50

Deadlast, If the carb cleaner comment was for me, I thought about it (Justin has been doing that himself with soap and water) but I would have to clean it once a week or so. I'm too lazy.

Mike, I used 1/4" NPT fittings with 3/8" barbs for the hose (I used fittings that turned 90* for a cleaner install since my separator is high on the firewall). I used hydraulic hose since I figured it wouldnt kink but fuel/Evap hose should work fine and is more mallable.
  13. RacEoHolic330

RacEoHolic330 I like to dress like a pretty girl SN Certified Technician

I ditched the element before I installed the separator on my car. I didn't see any need for it being there. I too have heard of clogging issues. When I drove my car daily, I had to empty the separator about every 3 weeks, so it seems like its doing its job.
  14. Mike92GT

Mike92GT Founding Member

Got the separator from Home Depot. Cost a whopping $11. Here's a pic of it mounted with my home made bracket. All I need now is a motor to connect it to...

[​IMG]
  15. criticman

criticman Member

My friend ran a setup using those pieces on his turbo-neon (excuse me, "SRT-4" :rlaugh: ).

Even with tons of boost, the filter did its job and he did not experience any boost leaks (well, not because of the oil sep).
  16. blackcloud50

blackcloud50 New Member

Did you get those fittings at Home Depot too?
  17. 04sleeper

04sleeper Founding Member

18. sgarlic

sgarlic Founding Member

I wrote this for my '04, but it applies to anything (for parts at least.)

http://www.sgarlic.com/04stang/separator.html

I did this on my '04, my ZJ, a Bronco, and my old '88 after I sold it.. had great results on all of them.
  19. Mike92GT

Mike92GT Founding Member

Blackcloud50, I got the plastic 90 degree fittings from a local Ace Hardware. They seem to have a better selection of small fittings than Home Depot
  20. blackcloud50

blackcloud50 New Member

Yeah..I couldn't find the 90* at Home Depot