Whose got a battery in the trunk?

LXSTASY

Founding Member
Apr 25, 2000
Long Island, NY
Hey guys,

I am in the process of getting my car done and I have a slight problem.
I have the Steeda battery box (aka Taylor metal box) and I wanted to mount it in my hatch with an optima red top battery.

My problem is that I don't know if it is safe to mount in the hatch wthout the box being vented.

Does anyone have a metal box in the hatch or insude the car? Can I use it if I seal it and vent it or can I use it as is?

Thanks,
Dan

• Sponsors (?)

BaXTeR3221 said:
Optima battery's are dry cell, no gases, so i wouldn't worry about venting it. I would get a sealed box just for safety, but i think as long as it's bolted down, you should be fine.

I have the Steeda aluminum box and it is not completely sealed. There are a few gaps on the bottom. Is that something to worry about? How can i seal the gaps, silicon?

I have a cheap summit box that would be pointless to vent because its not sealed 100%. I drive with my windows down, and have had it like that for months now no problem. If the optima battery for sure dosent give off gases then I wouldnt worry about it. But for a box like that id definatly vent it. I vented my box, but cutting a hole in the trunk and putting a hose to the ouside, but then was later told it was pointess because of the box I have.

Um it might deoend? If your going to race it then most tracks want it vented outside the car and i think??????????!!!!! But not sure thats the NHRA's rules also???? peace

john:p