Why 3G?

Could someone explain the reason for the 3G alternator swap mod vs. buying a direct fit powermaster fr example for the same price? I could see it beeing worth it MAYBE if you could find a good condition used one and save some money. But when a 140 amp powermaster is 200.00 or so, the same price it seems as a stock replacement 3G why would people choose to do the 3G?

• Sponsors (?)

If your 3G alternator dies, have a friend drive you down to where you bought it. If you have the receipt and the alternator in hand, 5 minutes or less is all that it takes to exchange it. If your Power Master alternator dies, it's a 3-7 business days wait for it to end up at your doorstep. Walking in the cold weather when I could be driving a nice warm car isn't on my to do list...

Besides that, the 3G 3 wire alternators put out more voltage at lower RPMs. than a single wire Power Master. Driving around town in slow traffic with the lights, heater and wipers on is a lot better with a 3G than with a single wire alternator that needs more RPMs to make the necessary voltage.

Electric fan = 3G alternator if you want long life & reliability from your car.
The electric fan saves some HP. The stock fan's parasitic drag runs from 7-12 HP depending on who you talk to. The electric fan uses about 1/2 HP of power from the electrical system.

Figure this with a stock 65 amp alternator:
Ignition system & computer = 12 amps
Fuel pump = 12 amps
Exterior lights = 15 amps
Fan (heater or A/C) = 15 amps (can run between 5-25 amps depending on setting)
Radio & instruments = 10 amps
Wipers = 10 amps

That's grand total of 74 amps from a 65 amp alternator. Talk about overdrawn at the bank!

3G it is, that's all I needed! Lol I was a little weary of the wiring though because I could not did a simple easy to read diagram of what CHANGES are made from the stock harness on the 2G in order to make the 3G work until I found the diagram below. Basically stating simply re run a power wire to the starter solenoid then re attach the white wire to the new 3G? Am I following this correctly?

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/alternator-wont-charge-please-help.738882/