Why A Fox?

• Sponsors (?)

Sharad that 11' has a sic stance! And looks and probably runs amazing but I'd drive the ch it out of that 86'

Thanks! The '11 makes 700hp to the tire, has full suspension, etc etc... the '86 is stock, slow, and could use a paint job, but I absolutely love the little car. Again today I drove the '86 instead of the '11.

Actually, I was thinking about this thread today when I was cruising the '86. You know what I think one of the factors of "why a fox" is? For many of us, the Fox was the IT car when we were kids. I was a teenager in the 90s and Foxes were the cool cars to have. My first car was an 88LX 2.3 when I was 16, and I bought my first 5.0, an 87 GT when I was 17 (in 1993). Many of my favorite memories from high school involved my Foxes. So in that respect, even today, I love my Fox Body because it is like a familiar old friend. Yes, my wife's Explorer is probably faster than my 86 GT, but the 86 makes me smile every time. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I agree.When I was the age when cars became a serious interest,10-12 years old,Fox bodies were THE "muscle car" on the streets at the time.They were a car I always wanted to own so a few years later I was the proud owner of a black 5 speed '84 GT towards the end of my High School senior year,this would have been in 1992(ya I know).We were in that same '84 the first time my 3 friends and I were all handcuffed(3 of us were anyway) and brought down to the Police Station.My buddy that was driving took off on foot never to be seen again,and the 3 of us were given our very first underage drinking fine.:shrug:

Another thing I will always remember is when the family would be cruising down the highway and we(my brother and I)would spot a Trooper is his 5 liter Fox we would just think that was the coolest thing."Look,there's a cop in a FivePointOh!". Ahhhhhhhhhhhh......them were the days.
:think:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree.When I was the age when cars became a serious interest,10-12 years old,Fox bodies were THE "muscle car" on the streets at the time.They were a car I always wanted to own so a few years later I was the proud owner of a black 5 speed '84 GT towards the end of my High School senior year,this would have been in 1992(ya I know).We were in that same '84 the first time my 3 friends and I were all handcuffed(3 of us were anyway) and brought down to the Police Station.My buddy that was driving took off on foot never to be seen again,and the 3 of us were given our very first underage drinking fine.:shrug:

Another thing I will always remember is when the family would be cruising down the highway and we(my brother and I)would spot a Trooper is his 5 liter Fox we would just think that was the coolest thing."Look,there's a cop in a FivePointOh!". Ahhhhhhhhhhhh......them were the days.
:think:
Same here with the 5.0 police cars. I thought it was so cool every time I'd see the Texas state troopers flying down the highway in them. Great memories.

The strange thing is the troopers I know gave the 5.0 to the newbee. They are squirely on gravel and ice, and cramped with all the equipment compared to a Crown Vic.

But without the junk, they are comfortable. And squirely can be fun. I find our mini van incredibly useful and my Grang Marquis

Doesn't look like the notch is going to pan out, he had it for sale on E-bay as well as CL and it sold for a little above his reserve price, which was about all I was willing to pay for it. I told him if the ebay sale didn't work out to let me know. The search continues.....

Doesn't look like the notch is going to pan out, he had it for sale on E-bay as well as CL and it sold for a little above his reserve price, which was about all I was willing to pay for it. I told him if the ebay sale didn't work out to let me know. The search continues.....

Bummer. Don't give up! Lots of nice foxes out there to be had!

It's actually pretty simple why we like fox mustangs.
It's the last real muscle car built. No antilock brakes, No traction or stability control, one air bag max (and even that one probably won't work).
It's not weighed down with all kinds of crap we don't want. Even the emissions are lax, consider my terminator conversion passed 1990 emissions with no catalytic converters, lol.
It's also the last car a backyard mechanic can truly build 100% at home. No dyno needed. Think about the fact that you can't even put a cold air intake on a new car without a tune. They also jumped up 600lbs or so, to get a 3200lb car now, you need to buy a supercar.
Parts are cheap and plentiful. When is the last time you saw a stock fox? Probably has to be the most customizable car of all time.

New cars have their place and i'm about safety for the most part, just not in a weekend toy.

I think you really have to want an ssp to buy that car.
Going to take quite a bit of money just to make it look decent, the body and interior are pretty much a do over.

If you just want a notch, I think it would be better to spend the money on a better starting point. Something that doesn't need paint.

Engine work on these cars is relatively cheap and easy. So i'd rather have car that doesn't run with perfect paint than I would a car that runs great and the paint is destroyed.

Now if the ssp is your thing, choice is limited and you may have to take what you get.

Reactions: 1 user