Why am I having so many fitment issues? Power Steering pump now...

Venom351R

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
MAINE
Went to replace my crappy looking PS pump through this whole upgrade project I bought this one

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AGR-809102/

Put the pulley on today and mounted the bracket to the head. But the line that screws into the side of the pump (the fitting with the red cap) is to small for the line that is going into it. It clearing sits on the outside edge of the fittings and will not screw in. I thought it would screw right in like a regular bolt going into a hole but it just spins on the outside of the fitting. This pump is for a 94/95 GT/Cobra 302/351 I should not be having any problems at least I figured I wouldn't, Suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

I recently swapped out a power steering pressure line on my 86. I thought the same thing and had to screw with it for quite some time and get it lined up perfectly before it would properly thread in.

Not saying that what you posted is incorrect but that only that I had the same thoughts as I was trying to get it all back together.

I thought that the line I bought had the wrong fittings on it.

I can see this is going to be as bad as the brake line fitting I had issues with not to long ago.... also when the pulley is on the pump should it have a little back and forth play at all or should it sit completely tight up against the pump?

like a push pull motion, it moves back and forth. Is it not on far enough or should there be a little play? Broke my friends installer so not sure if I got it on far enough.

like a push pull motion, it moves back and forth. Is it not on far enough or should there be a little play? Broke my friends installer so not sure if I got it on far enough.

If there's a tiny bit of end play and the pulley comes straight in and out EQUALLY then it's good. If you can wiggle just the top or the bottom alternately then that's NOT good.

Yeah prob. Figured out what my issue was this morn. When I took the old pump off it still had the fitting on the line that screws into the pump, so basically I was trying to screw the fitting that goes into the pump with the one that was on the line from the old pump...DOH! but now I cant get the bottom line on b/c there is not enough room even with the pump loosened up off the bracket. So I'll have to rent/buy a puller today and to get the pulley back off and get that hose connected on the bottom then get the pulley back on and the pump mounted to the bracket, ain't working on cars fun :D :bang: :fuss:

Nooooooooooo.... don't take the pulley back off. See if you can find a slotted deep well socket at part store X to help you get that thing on there. I've also used an open ended wrech that was too small for the fitting to apply pressure to the top of the fitting while I used the correct size to get it started and tighten it down.

are you sure your thinking of the same one? The one that screws in on the side I got back on. Its the one on the bottom that slides onto the fitting at the bottom of the pump. Its held on by a clamp once its on but I cant get it past the point where it slides onto the extension that comes off from the pump. There just does not seem to be enough room with the pump on the bracket.

You're right... I wasn't talking about the same line you were. You're talking about the return line.

Replace it with a longer one. It's not pressure so you could even extend it temporarily if you need to.

The line that is on there now is long enough I just don't have enough room below the attachment that the hose slides up onto to get it on bc it is attached to the bracket. That's why I was thinking of pulling the pully off again so I could take it off the bracket attatch the hose and then reinstall it

The line that is on there now is long enough I just don't have enough room below the attachment that the hose slides up onto to get it on bc it is attached to the bracket. That's why I was thinking of pulling the pully off again so I could take it off the bracket attatch the hose and then reinstall it

I don't recall having that particular problem. I remember throwing the thing on and hooking up the lines and having to screw with getting the fitting lines up so that the threads would start and not cross-thread.

I got the side fitting on pretty easy once I realzied I was trying to screw the fitting into the other fittng lol. There is only a small gap between the bottom of the bracket and the tip of that tube that comes off the pump where the line slides onto it. Maybe that tube is longer then the OEM one. I'll check it when I get home if it is I'll just cut it