Why are ppl using AFR's instead of Canfields?

red ink

Founding Member
Apr 8, 2002
Arizona
The flowchart in the sticky up top says the canfeilds flow better than the AFR? I dont get why so many ppl have AFR combos and not Canfield. I would imagine a 347 with canfield heads, vic jr manifold, and an FTI cam would be a pretty sweet combo. 400 hp mabey with all the little bolt ons?

• Sponsors (?)

I dunno how much canfield heads are. Neither jegs nor Summit sells them. :shrug:
http://www.canfieldheads.com/sbf.html
They got 414(bhp i would guess) from a 306. I bet they would do pretty good on a 347. The reason i bring up this topic is because after searching the threads, not many ppl can hit 400 with a 347 unless they use 205's and spin the **** outta it. there has to be another way

N8Miller said:
why does the 94-95 forum have stickies and the fox tech doesnt?

Because these 94/95 ask too many stupid questions. :D

anyway, maybe becasue the afrs are the hot name right now. how do they compaire price wise?

They are pretty much the same price.

I got my AFR's when just a few people on this forum like Paul were using them.

I saw enough from their results to research it more.

Several conversations with Ed Curtis at FTI gave me the thought that if they worked for so many others they would work for me.

Later
Grady

IMHO, a street car with a mild combo, like mine, needs a head that is efficient and has good velocity. The AFR 165's do just that.

Big ports and high flow numbers are not a bad thing but I wanted good low end torque and I wanted that torque to extend on out to be wide & flat.

Ed told me that my thinking was sound about a big port head not being the best thing for a mild street combo.

Later
Grady

You can answer your own question by asking it a different way -- why don't I run AFR 225's instead of AFR 165's? The AFR 225's flow better, after all.

Bigger is not always better. Matching the head to the combo is vastly more important. That's why the AFR 165 keeps coming out on top for a 302 cubic inch Windsor -- they're perfectly sized for it.

Dave

canfields are BIG

they are too big for a mild na 302. if you are gonna spin it to 6500-7000 then they would work

and vic intake.... um NO no pcv and huge ports. again these are every day cars running under the stock limiter not cars turning 7k with 4.30s

canfields also have a raised intake port.

when comparing you shoudl compare canfields with 185s.

I on the other hand do not feel trickflows are too big for a 302. they are a proven head that will make power with stock pistons. and it still has plenty of area under the curve and bottom end

Im not gonna be N/a. I'll have a vortech T-trim behind any combo i have with around 9psi just to be safe and not worry about blowing anything up. But i COULD run up to 25 with it because it's got a cog system on it. So would i be better off with my 347 to have the 185's, 205's, or canfields?

red ink said:
Im not gonna be N/a. I'll have a vortech T-trim behind any combo i have with around 9psi just to be safe and not worry about blowing anything up. But i COULD run up to 25 with it because it's got a cog system on it. So would i be better off with my 347 to have the 185's, 205's, or canfields?

If you are staying with the 347 without the T for now, go with the 185s. If you want a blown 347, i think you could benefit from the 205s. I hope you have the right intake and cam to suit it though.

95snoozer said:
I on the other hand do not feel trickflows are too big for a 302. they are a proven head that will make power with stock pistons. and it still has plenty of area under the curve and bottom end

I agree with you about them working on a 302 but for a street/strip car, they will favor the strip more than the street.

Everybodys idea of a street car is different.

If your goal is good low to mid range torque (really fun on a street car) a general rule of thumb is that big ports on intake, heads, & exhaust favor the high end of the rpm range and the low end is usually soft.

I've had cars that would rip to 7k plus but things did not start to happen until about 3500 rpm but hey, IT WAS A STREET CAR.

To be fair I would have to say that the above example was old school with a carb and with fuel inj's & long runner intakes the low end torque is enhanced but the basic principles of moving air through a motor are still the same.

Later
Grady

I have Canfields. My numbers aren't what they should be but that's probably because I have the TFS Stage 1 cam. Considering I have that cam my numbers are probably respectable. SAE 293/311 STD 301/318
I may stroke it in the near future though.

I have no need for bottomend as long as it has the most power under the racing curve,

as long as it moves along on the street its fine with me. The typhoon intake alone definitely makes the car different on the low end.

mto502 said:
I have Canfields. My numbers aren't what they should be but that's probably because I have the TFS Stage 1 cam. Considering I have that cam my numbers are probably respectable. SAE 293/311 STD 301/318
I may stroke it in the near future though.

just from moving your displacment to a 331 or 347, and maybe a TFS 2 cam (as an example), how much HP do you plain to see?