Why are there so many holes in the engine compartment???

• Sponsors (?)

An 11 minute bump?

I would guess it's because of all the harness retainers, component bolts, screws, ect...used in both engines. The inner fenders and firewall were the same for the 2.3 and the 5.0, so all three metal sheets needed to accomodate both engines.

it's easier for Ford to just punch new holes in the engine bay when they move things from year to year and leave the existing holes rather than setting up a new gig each year and eliminating the existing holes and then punching new holes.
that's my understanding.

Correct - You must remember that the Fox3 chasis was originally developed for the Fairmount, then adapted to the 1979 Mustang. So over the years, engineers move things [like the battery, washer bottle, etc.] around in the engine bay. And if there isn't a hole, well, just adding one is pretty easy... And why take out a hole that might become useful later?

Thus, the engine bay looks like swiss cheese.

srothfuss said:
Correct - You must remember that the Fox3 chasis was originally developed for the Fairmount, then adapted to the 1979 Mustang. So over the years, engineers move things [like the battery, washer bottle, etc.] around in the engine bay. And if there isn't a hole, well, just adding one is pretty easy... And why take out a hole that might become useful later?

Thus, the engine bay looks like swiss cheese.

WEIGHT REDUCTION :lol: :D

My buddy (slo88gt) just used bondo from a squeeze tube, sanded down, painted, looks factory.. except from the other side (don't look in the fender well.. yikes!)