Why can stock Ls1's beat the GT - a small insight for noobs to performance cars

300bhp/ton

Apr 4, 2005
England
You may have seen this before, but it I'm really posting it for the benefit of people who haven't and to add a little explanation of some of the current compition for the 05 GT out on the street.

This is not a flame of the GT, it is a very fine car and looks fantastic, just a reality check for those out there that don't know much about the Fbody's and how fast they can potentially be.

Copyof01Bullitt_Article2c.jpg

Bugger! Looks like the links gone, basically it was an article from a Ford magazine where they tested a STOCK Camaro SS M6 and where hitting 12.89 @108mph yet it was in crappy weather and said it would easily pull 12.7's under more normal temps. They dyno'd it at 330rwhp. This car was stock even the wheels and was also heavily spec'd up with all the options so it was no stripped out lightweight. The also mention the high 12's they had got a few years earlier in a stock 1998 Z28.

Not all the Fbody's are this quick and an auto with tall rear gearing will be slower and a much better match up against a GT.

The GT is still a quick car, in the right hands you should be able to see 13.6 @ 101mph which is not far off of SUPERCAR territory of only a few years back, so with great looks and enough performance to beat most cars on the road the 05 GT will certainly be a Mustang to be remebered in years to come.

However if you want more fear not as a few simple mods will put you right up there in the mid high 12's. And remeber no matter how fast you think your car is there will always be someone faster somewhere.

Have fun and keep on modding! :nice:

Attachments

• Copyof01Bullitt_Article2c.jpg
    Copyof01Bullitt_Article2c.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Sponsors (?)

Not too hard to figure out the reason. CUBIC INCHES. I owned a 99 Z28 that was awesome performance wise! Now I compare to the new Mustang. Ill take the Mustang. Its a better engineered, MUCH better looking and overall better car. I was always a GM guy at heart and never thought I would say that(forgive me dad!)!

in stoplight racing,my '01 Gt would beat LS1's every time.All I had was a K&N intake.The '05 GT is being constrained by the eletronic throttle control.With just a SCT tune it will MPH much higher.I have seen a friends car MPH at 104 with stock tires(and he's an average driver)with just a SCT tune.

Just of note regarding adding the tuner - I have a 2500HD Silverado truck which I use the Power Programmer III for b/c I tow a fifth wheel. When I was at the gas station many months ago, I filled up and went to start my truck. Nothing happened - dead as a door nail. I hooked up the computer programmer to try and put back to stock before calling Chevy and it would not take - gave me an error code. Well, I called the tow truck, hid the computer programmer in my wife's car and off it went. They could not figure out what happened - so they ended up puting a new computer in my truck. Close Call, Very Close!!!!! So, just so you know, stuff does happen :( By the way - the folks who make the Power Programmer III sent me a brand new one, I (with great hesitation and sweat) installed - no problems since. But man, it really sucked for a few days while they were trying to figure out what happened to my truck. The guys from Power Programmer III stated my computer failed "because there was a secondary source on" which means DO NOT have a cell phone in the plug, the radio on, lights on, mess with the window etc. when trying to upload.

01GT/03ZX9 said:
in stoplight racing,my '01 Gt would beat LS1's every time.All I had was a K&N intake.

265HP vs 345HP, and you won every time? Were those LS1s running? :)

The '01 GT is no match for an LS1, not even with a K&N intake. You must have come up against some piss-poor drivers if you beat them.

From a stoplight, I was never beaten in my '02. The LS1's really shine when they can stretch out a bit. Basically anything over 1/8 mile. It was actually very easy to spank them in very short jolts. BUT, in the 1/4, I was handed my ass the only 2 times I ran, and I had a very strong car stock. Ran a 13.89 with a K/N filter and no spare. 4r70w. The T/A beat me both times by about 4 cars (guessing- it was a bunch). Go figure.

If you beat LS1s off the line...the LS1 driver sucks. I raced my friends 02 M6 SS with ALL my mods from a 10 roll. He stayed pretty darn well through 1st, then started gain ing in 2nd and passed me in 3rd and was about 2 cars up by 115. Stock my 04 would have gotten raped all the way. Even from a stop. They have bigger tires and hook pretty good...especially the autos. Stock GTs dont have a chance to a well driven NOT sick LS1. They will get pulled through the 1/8 too. Some have different experiences but IMHO the LS1 driver sucks....if you were to set my in a stock LS1 vs a stock GT....he would hvae a chance through the 1/8 or the 1/4. Go drive one, they run pretty good.

True. There's no way you take LS1's in the '01 GT with those mod's, no matter how good a driver you are.

If by some chance your GT won, it was because the LS1 driver passed out or two of his cylinders were not firing...

01GT/03ZX9 said:
in stoplight racing,my '01 Gt would beat LS1's every time.All I had was a K&N intake.The '05 GT is being constrained by the eletronic throttle control.With just a SCT tune it will MPH much higher.I have seen a friends car MPH at 104 with stock tires(and he's an average driver)with just a SCT tune.
Yeah, sure you did. :nonono:

Pliskin said:
Will the tune mess with the warranty? I'm looking for stuff to do with my stang but don't want to **** with the warranty too much.

I asked my dealership about this over the weekend. The guys said a tune would not mess with the warranty. Most people will tell you that for any mod you make, Ford would have to prove that the mod caused the failure. Truth is the dealership service center could care less. They can either honour your warranty and get paid for doing the job, or you can take it elsewhere and pay someone else to do it for half the price. The dealerships aren't stupid. They know you're not gonna pay them to do it if it's not covered by warranty. So, in order to keep your business they'll honour the warranty.

you guys are wrong.My auto '01 GT was awsome off the line.I had my powerbraking down pat and I could jump those auto LS1's every time.I am talking stoplight racing-get it???I would lose my butt in a quarter mile since the GT had crappy top end.who are you to say it did not happen.

I could actually get my '01 off the line better than my '05 manual.The electronic throttle kills me.

Yea but in this I think you guys are coparing apples to oranges. You wanna compare, then compare cars in the same sales market. LS1 = top of the line for the F Bodys. So if you take a walk back over to the ford side and take top of the line motor, you end up with the 03/04 cobra. Now line those two up and see how 'godly' the LS1 is. :rolleyes:

88-GT said:
Yea but in this I think you guys are coparing apples to oranges. You wanna compare, then compare cars in the same sales market. LS1 = top of the line for the F Bodys. So if you take a walk back over to the ford side and take top of the line motor, you end up with the 03/04 cobra. Now line those two up and see how 'godly' the LS1 is. :rolleyes:
that really does sound like a 4 year old "hay thats not fair you CHEAT!"

Fbody = pony car
Mustang = pony car

Both similar'ish money with idea spec

2+2 coupe
v8
fwd
American

Thats like saying a Ram 1500 isn't comparable to a F150.

sacha said:
I asked my dealership about this over the weekend. The guys said a tune would not mess with the warranty. Most people will tell you that for any mod you make, Ford would have to prove that the mod caused the failure. Truth is the dealership service center could care less. They can either honour your warranty and get paid for doing the job, or you can take it elsewhere and pay someone else to do it for half the price. The dealerships aren't stupid. They know you're not gonna pay them to do it if it's not covered by warranty. So, in order to keep your business they'll honour the warranty.

Well my dad's running the service department down here at the biggest ford dealership in town. I don't think he'll let me slip through the cracks. He'll know if I do anything to it lol

Oh and he has something right with that 03/04 cobra thing. SS is chevy's SVT

Pliskin said:
Oh and he has something right with that 03/04 cobra thing. SS is chevy's SVT
Yeah but the SS and WS6 had EXACTLY the same engine as a TA or Z28 and where all capable of producing the exact same ET's. They all produced in the region of 345+bhp regardless og GM quoted figures.

Too bad "God" didn't hand down a good car to go with his engine. He does occassionally make mistakes (platypus) must have make one here.

I am sick of the crap of it's the "greatest enigne" if it was, Ferrarri would be using them. They had no motor to replace it with so had to stick with it, they (chevy) had to under power the rest of the line to meet cafe standards and had to program the dreaded 1st to 4th shift for the EPA. It is a good motor but it's all about the HP and the packaging which GM rarely gets right. Now as of late they have some winners (Cadillac CTS-V), but my Cobra does just fine for me with it's minescule 281 cubes.

God's engine couldn't save the ugly fast car.

By the way, the 3800 was a fantastic motor with the tightest tolerances of any American motor of it's era and was a damn rocket in the Grand National, Cyclone and Typhoon. Hmm, smaller motor, forced induction, 12 sec quarters...