Why Did Ford Not Use The Tr6060

• Sponsors (?)

lol, troll.....member since 2012? Ive been here almost 9 years longer than you.
more lol, Sunfire....you must not have run across the right "Sunfire"....
I asked a question about the "Chinese" 6 speeds at a place I figured I would get the right answers.
I can see weight and cost. Gear ratios are something that can be taken care of from Tremec.
There has been some isolated problems I guess, I havent really investigated any further than just finding out it wasnt a Tremec.
By what I understand the Boss has the same tranny as the GT? Am I correct on this?

There were 68,650 Mustangs produced in 2011 (26,422 GT, 5,026 Shelby GT500, 37,202 V6)

I would expect similar numbers for 2012 when it's all said and done. That's a lot. I've seen the gearbox gripes and complaints but they've been few and far between. The ones that show symptoms appear to be pretty persistent problems. All in all though... I think there have been relatively few problems. Time will tell the real story, I suppose. I think back to the mid 80's and all the folks that were blowing out 3rd gear on the T5 or chewing up TOBs on the aluminum bearing retainer.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, the throw out bearing was a problem on my '90 when new. Had to replace the bearing retainer.

For all those that are that say something on a forum, there are atleast 20 times more that are not. I agree not every one is having a problem, but it's a known issue that you should be on the look out for when you purchase a new Mustang. Drive it and make sure you can live with its shortcomings.

Noobz is pretty much telling it like it is folks. The dealership I work at has had EXACTLY one of these cars in that needed an actual repair done to it beyond updating the trans fluid. This car had plenty of mods done to it, so it's a safe bet it wasn't driven easy.
By and far the biggest problem we have had is people that do not understand or like how the skip shift feature operates.

From what I've read, about 3% of the transmissions are effected. So that would be roughly 2060 transmissions. Not all of them are transmission problems though. A quarter to a third of the reported transmission problems ended up being clutch problems.

The main reason why I was looking for a toy with a Tremec in it is because of reputation and parts availability and familiararity. I dont like going to an unknown(to me anyway) tranny brand that hasnt earned street cred.

The main reason why I was looking for a toy with a Tremec in it is because of reputation and parts availability and familiararity. I dont like going to an unknown(to me anyway) tranny brand that hasnt earned street cred.

I'm not thrilled about the made in China transmission either, but as others have already said, the actual failure rate a pretty low. Go to a Camaro forum, and you'll find a similar number of complaints for similar issues with the TR6060.