Why do I have to start my car twice?

iwashmycar

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 7, 2004
Columbus, Ohio
Most all of the time unless she's nice and warmed up already, I get in and she cranks over good, but it starts to idle really low, and usually dies unless I hit the gas and give her a little rev. Sometimes she wants to die again though, and I have to do it again. My recent mod has just been underdrives, but I think it did it before them. Just wondering if there is an easy remedy or adjustment for this. I haven't got around to checkin' plugs or anything yet though. I was thinking that I might need to switch oil grades since it's gettin' cold here in Ohio.....?

Thanks all,

-Adam.

• Sponsors (?)

iwashmycar said:
Most all of the time unless she's nice and warmed up already, I get in and she cranks over good, but it starts to idle really low, and usually dies unless I hit the gas and give her a little rev. Sometimes she wants to die again though, and I have to do it again. My recent mod has just been underdrives, but I think it did it before them. Just wondering if there is an easy remedy or adjustment for this. I haven't got around to checkin' plugs or anything yet though. I was thinking that I might need to switch oil grades since it's gettin' cold here in Ohio.....?

Thanks all,

-Adam.

Have you tried reseting the computer lately with all your accessories on high? I had the same problem and reseting the computer helped, but I found out that my alternator was dying and after replacing the alternator, she starts up nicely without any problems (except for it takes too long for fuel to get through, but that's a different post).

My car is like that. if i start it after it sits for a day, it will sputter, idle real low, and usually die. But the very next crank it will fire up great, no probs!

I believe my buddys modded stang did that as well. not sure why.

Before u crank it try turning the key off and on a few times. This will help build up the fuel pressure. Or just wait a few seconds after the key is switch on before u crank it.I had the same problem on a 91 GT I used to have.This always helped me.I eventually put in a bigger fuel pump and it solved the problem

Things to consider,
Battery charge, alternator, (charging the battery enough?), battery cables clean and in good consition, contacts, plugs, wires, clean throttle body and IAB, how old is the oil, fuel filter, and use the other suggestions above.
Start with the simply things first.

I just started having the same problem on Monday. My mods are Optima Battery, Powermaster 130 alt, underdrive pulleys, throttle body. I just installed a 19lbs mass air meter and still have the stock injectors. I was thinking maybe that was the problem.

Your fuel pump may be allowing the fuel pressure to significantly bleed down before starting. Check the pressure on the shrader valve on the supply line on the front passenger side, behind the smog pump (what's that?) on a stocker. Have a friend try to start the car while you quickly stick an allen wrench in there to see if / when you have fuel pressure before start to run. Careful you don't blow yourself up, Darwin because fuel sprays out of the valve. Cigarettes, cracked wires, or other small sparks could significantly ruin your day.
I had an aftermarket pump which repeatedly allowed the system to bleed every ounce of fuel back into the tank. That's a long trip from the tank to the injector. Ihad to do the key on-key off thing mentioned above to prime the line every time.

Well....I think that might be the case. Ill just prime it until something breaks so I can upgrade to a better one (I love mustangs), since the plugs are not tooo to old, the wires are aftermarket, and I change the oil very regularly this must be the problem.

Thanks again

-Adam

Its the idle air control valve, My 88 did it when i first got it, especially when it was colder out, I replaed the iac and it was perfect. That was 3 years ago, and i haven't heard a peep form her since. My 91 bronco 5.0 that i just picked up is now doing it because of the colder weather here in ny. I changed the iac and it is perfect. I'd certainly go with an iac to solve the problem. Seems like these older fords do not like the colder weather. goodluck
Nick

I was under the impression the IAC is not used during startup. I thought that a properly set idle adjustment would allow for the car to start with the IAC unpluged. At least that is how I do it. A correctly set idle does not use the IAC.
I would look for vacuum leaks. Ford intended a touchless start. It should catch on the first start. At least mine still does (93GT). For a while there it would die (on the first start) and then idle (surge) badly. Found rotted vac hoses....been running like a champ ever since.