Why do I want a turbo so bad... here's why...

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Altoona, PA
I've been spending time reading on turbomustangs.com because I am building a single turbo, stock longblock motor for my '90GT AOD car. I just saw this post over their and what this 95 AODE stock longblock car is running is an eye opener! I don't know if this guy is on these boards or not, but when you see his times for all he has done, you will believe in the power of the turbo!

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=122653#post122653

• Sponsors (?)

Paul-

You're not the only one with extreme turbo lust. Too bad my imagination exceeds my budget right now.
Are you thinking of going homemade or buying a kit. I really likes the looks of the HP performance single turbo kit. You get a lot for $4200. Now all I need is the drivetrain and bottom end to support it, and oh yeah some more money!

Mark, I don't know yet what I'm going to do. This '90 I bought needs a rebuild for both the shortblock AND the tranny, so it will take me at least a year to get those two things done. I'd like to build my own to try and save some cash, but by the time I'm ready to do it, I may have enough $ to just buy one. Time will tell. All I want is 120mph+ trap speeds with the stock longblock, I think its possible.

My friend ran a 11.4 @ 125 with a bad launch with his 95 gt. Had trickflow heads, fcam, cobra intake and running a homemade turbo kit with a t68. The turbo header and crossover pipe were too damn small for this setup and he still pulled off 125 trap speed with 14 psi.

You can easily get over 120 with a stock long block but it won't be soon when you want to be pushing past the 130s...

Wow--unbelievable! 11.88 with a stock long block! I am getting all excited again. He was only running 12.5lbs boost--that would never happen with a Supercharger. Anybody mention how much his setup cost?

Jon

StangJonGT said:
Wow--unbelievable! 11.88 with a stock long block! I am getting all excited again. He was only running 12.5lbs boost--that would never happen with a Supercharger. Anybody mention how much his setup cost?

Jon

Jon, this will give you an idea of what just the turbo setup cost. He's running a pro turbo kit.

http://www.proturbokits.com/mustang8795kits.htm

The main reason I am going to a turbo (seriously considering it) is because of the torque that will be produced. Personally I dont think 900 hp and 1000lb/ft is too far fetched. I am in the process of saving some denero to buy a Dart block for my forged internals.

347 + GT45@25psi=1000rwhp or 150+ trap speeds.

Supra killing is where I'm going.

Threads like this kill me everytime i read them. I just bought a few goodies and after I install them im gonna be posting pics. I just spent all my money and I might be hitting a low 14 If im lucky. Looks like the next mod is boost for sure.

Down said:
Same here, but my original plan when I bought the 95 was to go with a single turbo setup.
Then I met reality, and it informed me that I just can't afford it.
Looks like it's back to an S-Trim for me :(

J

Sort of the same thing happened to me a few months ago. I so wanted a turbo for my '95, but with the mods already on my car I knew I'd be in block splitting territory VERY quick so I'd need a stout dart based shortblock (~$5000), not to mention I'd be at or over the limit of the stock fuel lines and rails ($1000 minimum there), and that isn't even including the turbo setup itself(~$4000)! So, here I am with a $1000 fox body and my plans are to turbo the stock longblock and leave it at that, therefore eliminating (hopefully) some of the major cost. This was the better option for me as I can keep my '95 NA and keep tweaking it and "pushing the bar" and yet have my turbo car I've dreamed of, all for roughly the same or even less than I would have had in doing it to my '95. I always wanted another fox body too.

I also recommend getting your hands dirty and build your own system. I had built both from scratch for ~$1k(my old small T3 setup in the 94), the notchback cost me just about $500.

As long as you have a JEGGS catalog and a welder, and an EBAY account, your good to go.

Also working on another car from scratch(customer's 4cyl Hatch), carb'd single turbo T04 347 Stroker with the goodies in the block.

Of course the BLOCK is DEFINANTLY the weak point, and will most likely break before the rotating assembly does.

Rebuild the FOX for about ~$650 in (good)parts and go have fun.

Meaning KEEP the STOCK TRW FORGED pistons, buy a 4340 crank, and H beam rods... also add in some ARP merchandise and a girdle.

Of course your BEST route is a 1970 BOSS block(4 bolt mains), Dart block or FMS R block... which are all worth the money.

If you need help, please ask.