Why do ppl put flow restrictors in their heater cores?

• Sponsors (?)

The restrictor reduces the flow/pressure on the core resulting in less strain on the core.

If you buy a brand new heater core inlet hose,it should/will have a restrictor in place in the hose already.
The Ford hose I recently bought had the restrictor in place.

bsedwebt70-5.0 said:
The Ford heater hose I bought recently had it built in too but if it did not I was going to use a cheap 3/8 drive socket that fit the hose inner diameter and hold it in place with a hose clamp - quick easy idea.

Not such a hot idea if the socket is nickel or chromium plated (most are chromium).

eeee... dunno. If it's Motorcraft it will. You never know with their stuff. I've sent many hundreds, likely thousands, of $ to LRS. Some of it is real Motorcraft, lots of it is garbage. It pays to ask them when you order if it is a genuine Ford part or not. Don't ask if it's OEM, half the "OEM" stuff I've bought from them was some repro in LRS packaging. All of the LRS repro stuff isn't junk, don't get me wrong- but some of it is much better than others. Never having bought these particular hoses from them, I couldn't say. You'll know soon enough. If they don't have the restrictor though, don't use a socket... you'd be much better off using a Honda piston.