Why do we love fox bodies?

I decided to buy one because I wanted something with a fun RWD V8 drivetrain like a musclecar yet still modern enough to be reliable and comfortable as a daily driver... now as to why I chose the Fox over a SN95 mustang or an F-body:

relatively inexpensive to buy, maintain, and build
easy to work on
the awesome, one of a kind sound of the 5.0L engine
the car is the perfect size, not too big and not too small
the clean, understated lines of the body
nearly unlimited potential for modification

• Sponsors (?)

I decided to buy one because I wanted something with a fun RWD V8 drivetrain like a musclecar yet still modern enough to be reliable and comfortable as a daily driver... now as to why I chose the Fox over a SN95 mustang or an F-body:

easy to work on

The Fox is just such a cool vehicle, it is just crude enough to have the old Musclecar qualities and yet its just modern enough too!

I had an 83 GT in high school, I loved beating the other camaros and older muscle cars at my school. I was however, intrigued by another car that impressed me and made me get a crush on it. It was a dark blue Buick T-type. Ill have another one one day, but that's where the cheap comes in for our awesome Foxes. I have my 93 coupe now, I love it for the ease of mods. and the fact you dont see them much. Plus, it's a Notch!

man o man, i fell in love with 5.0 since i can remember first favorite car,borther had one when i was like 7, and was trying to explain to me what chirping 3rd was, i had no idea what that meant but even then i liked it:D, it was custom sonic blue too(also my favorite color,althogh i dont htink i can afford to paint my car with a good enough paintjob :mad:), he traded it for a 4x4 mudding truck,,boy was he stupid.......
i always thought the 5.0 badge on the side was the coolest thing ever and still is........and too me a stock 5.0 with a cowl is the fastest thing ever:rlaugh: well you know what i mean

easy to work on
This sums it up perfectly for me.

The Fox is just such a cool vehicle, it is just crude enough to have the old Musclecar qualities and yet its just modern enough too!

I agree whole-heartedly about the above quote. It's also been said a few times before that the 5.0 Mustang is the 55 Chevy of the 80's and 90's.

It's just got that what I call the "magic muscle car formula"...

V8+Rear drive+Cheap+Fast+Simple = Muscle Car

The Mustang has always had the right amount of "stuff" that's why it has outlasted all others. Mopar Muscle was pretty much all wiped out and replaced with minivans, The Camaro and Firebird held on with a good effort but eventually got knocked out by the champ - the Mustang. That's one thing that Camaro fans have to swallow - Not only was the Mustang First, the Camaro was finally "killed" by the Mustang even though for just a short while.

From what I've researched, there were more fox body Mustangs produced than any other generation of Mustangs! That's incredible.

Persoanlly, the Notchbacks are my favorite. My 85 5.0 Notch with the bigs and littles on it remind me of the 63-65 Plymouth Sport Fury Coupes from back in the day! Light weight base model bodies, nothing fancy, a big motor under the hood, and big meat out back.

7333136.jpg

Here's my GT - Love that Bigs and Little look!

5079180716.jpg

Check this angle out...USDA Choice BEEF! LOL!

5079180717.jpg

Pretty much you guys already covered everything - i agree with all the responses.

NOSTALGIA!!!!!!!!!!
5.0's have that sound, Exhaust-originated never duplicated!! :D Def 80's all the way, A time in my life-When i was buck~wild with no adult responsibilties or worries! ahahhaah Just Fun, Fun, Fun!!!! So i look back on it and reflect, Just like many here say-I feel like im 18 again driving a 88. or shall i say 21 driving my 91. It has a lot to do mentally with the era and timeframe in ones life and what rocked and what we thought was cool back in the day! Thats why-I have a FOX babyyyyyyyyyy! :nice:

Anthony

Nobody really mentioned this...but besides the fact i love them for there looks, feel and sounds they a quite reliable car. I mean my buddie's 1990 LX 5.0 had 202,000 hard miles and had never been touched, stock clutch and still ran 14.6's with crap 60' times.

How can you go wrong?

They're DAMN sexy, and I don't know why. I was looking through a Mustang book that my mom gave me when I was 6 and was flipping through it when i saw a picture of a special edition yellow fox, convertible with black interior. I fell in love. I have no idea why, but I did, and even now it boggles me, but they are so dang attractive.

Aside from looks, the reason I love the fox body is because the fox Mustang is so underrated, and its fun to put people in their place. They're just a blast, even bone stock, and cheap and easy to build up. I love how the block is strong as hell too!

Yeah I agree on the reliability comment. I distinctly remember reading a newspaper article in the early 90's talking about the top 10 most reliable engines of the time. There were a bunch of japanese engines listed but I remember that the efi 5.0 Ford engine beign #4 I think. I thought that was pretty cool.
I drive my 88 GT 60 miles a day everyday for the past year and a half. It only left me on the side of the road when the fuel pump went out on it. But I knew it was needing to be replaced so I blame that one on me. Starts up great everytime. That distinct sounds of starting up a good running 5.0....turn the key, fuel pump comes on for a second, turn the key more, the distinct starter whine and then a quick rumble to life. I love wakin' the neighborhood up via MAC Flowpaths LOL!

NOSTALGIA!!!!!!!!!!
5.0's have that sound, Exhaust-originated never duplicated!! :D Def 80's all the way, A time in my life-When i was buck~wild with no adult responsibilties or worries! ahahhaah Just Fun, Fun, Fun!!!! So i look back on it and reflect, Just like many here say-I feel like im 18 again driving a 88. or shall i say 21 driving my 91. It has a lot to do mentally with the era and timeframe in ones life and what rocked and what we thought was cool back in the day! Thats why-I have a FOX babyyyyyyyyyy! :nice:

Exactly my thoughts! So many memories too! I remember going to the dealership with my parents in 1986 and sitting in a new 86 GT in the showroom. I knew I'd have one some day... When I went for my first ride in an 86 Notch and we went blasting down the on-ramp onto the freeway... I eventually bought that car!

I love the simplicity and interchangeability of parts too. Like so many of you, I just feel good when I'm "rollin' in my five-point-oh"! I feel like a kid again!

EXACTLY! hahahah so many of us-Feel the same thing-Its funny, pretty cool and we all share that common "soul-ful" pull to this car that isnt the best, nor fastest, Its justa FOX-body thing....
Plus when i was a kid, My older cousin, Who i idolized had an 1986, hahaha so i looked upto him and wanted to be like him, He was the cool older cousin on the block with all the chicks hahaa and the hot car. I was like bet, one day-Bammmmmmmmm! hahahaha Thats how it started. :nice:

Exactly my thoughts! So many memories too! I remember going to the dealership with my parents in 1986 and sitting in a new 86 GT in the showroom. I knew I'd have one some day... When I went for my first ride in an 86 Notch and we went blasting down the on-ramp onto the freeway... I eventually bought that car!

I love the simplicity and interchangeability of parts too. Like so many of you, I just feel good when I'm "rollin' in my five-point-oh"! I feel like a kid again!