why do yall not like the 5.4L

I dunna know...for a street car it seems like it would makes sense...all that torque down low in the "everyday" RPM range has got to be a good thing...even if the horsepower numbers aren't significantly better than a 4.6 :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I dunna know...for a street car it seems like it would makes sense...all that torque down low in the "everyday" RPM range has got to be a good thing...even if the horsepower numbers aren't significantly better than a 4.6 :shrug:

thats the main point of it.. the extra torque.. red has his torque come on quick, his is almost at 300 ft lbs at 2200 rpms.. now try that with a 4.6

i hate the 5.4 with all my heart

it killed my family:mad:

that and it's kinda pointless as others have pointed out. if you want TQ throw a KB on your 4.6 and you're done. the 5.4 isn't BAD, it's just not cost effective

you can have the same arguement as to why people don't swap 6.8L v10's into their cars. they make more TQ than a 5.4 and have more potential, but is it worth all the hassle (and loads of cash) when a s/c'ed 4.6 GT will still blow your doors off?:shrug:

My 4.6L makes 600rwtq @ 2200 rpms. :shrug:

I HATE YOU :mad: JK:D After doing all this research and wanting to go TT for big numbers I decided KB is the way to go. TT I could get a 725 rwhp monster thats almost impossiable to drive on the street or go with a nice 450 rwhp that is there by 2K and have a much nicer driving experience. I dont need 9 sec time slips or Mclaren F-1 speeds. After driving a couple Termis I like the idea of a little motor behaving like a big block with better mileage and less weight, guess I am a little old skool.:shrug:

I dont know??? I test drove both motors in a same year/body ford truck and the 5.4 was way more powerful. Can the same be said about a lighter car with the same set-up, I would like to think so. Would I put a 2V 5.4 in my car, no way, would I put a 4V Lightning set-up, hell yeahs. My buddy in Florida had a friend who totalled his lightning and sold the motor for nothing to another friend. Cost a grip to install with the motor on hand. I could imagine paying 10K for the Lightning set-up, and then the headache of install.

I HATE YOU :mad: JK:D After doing all this research and wanting to go TT for big numbers I decided KB is the way to go. TT I could get a 725 rwhp monster thats almost impossiable to drive on the street or go with a nice 450 rwhp that is there by 2K and have a much nicer driving experience. I dont need 9 sec time slips or Mclaren F-1 speeds. After driving a couple Termis I like the idea of a little motor behaving like a big block with better mileage and less weight, guess I am a little old skool.:shrug:

with a proper TT setup you could maintain excellent streetability and driving experience, you can do 450 on a set of twins or single turbo and still be just as fun as a KB/Whipple car. but when you have the support, you can just turn up the boost without having to resort to an entirely new blower, that is of course, with the proper turbo setup.

just cause its turbo does not mean you have to make 725hp minimum, just because everyone else makes that much. you can run smaller snails that have quicker spool times to give yourself a more linear powerband if you would like, or larger snails that have longer spool times but have higher airflow up top if you like to hang out in the top range of the rpm band.

about the 5.4L thing though. id go 5.4L if i was 4V and i had the money to afford it. only if i was 4V though, otherwise 2V heads are just not good enough to supply the air requirements of the additional displacement.

from the newbie that tried to flame me and started this very thread

um i would say look into a 5.4 swap with cam's its easy, and doesn't take to much to get it to work properly
wrong, the guy isnt doing the labor, and its not easy at all

you get loads of torque. its a nice way to get power for a N/A car. because just remember, there is not replacement for displacement
whats your point? 30rwtq or so for a complete motor swap? Retarded, put a lower gear in the car. Torque when racing can be compensated for through the modifications of the entire car, as gearing etc. No doubt torque is very important, but a motor swap for a slight increase in torque? Not smart. I was the first person to ever run reground cams in a 4.6, and my car mad 319rwtq UNTUNED and STOCK TIMING. Big deal, its still weak.

Corral, Modulardep0t, etc have had there ups in down. I, by no means know even close to everything, but as a member of stangnet since 2000, I take a lot of pride in our site(the best out there). When somebody wants 1-2k on hp done, and you come off with a 5.4 swap and then tell me to stfu, I get a little offended. Besides the fact you dont know which way is up, you have'nt got a clue except for what u read on the net.

also a 5.4 2v built PROPERLY can have as much HP as a built 4.6 4V, with more torque. you need to read some on the 5.4 swap before you dis it..
I read your link, it only confirmed the truth, the 5.4 is a waste, you got suckered in to some guy that did the swap since your a newbie to 2v's and thought you knew what you were talking about

its do-able, just find the right parts...

Im still waiting from your other thread, show me where it can be done with labor for 1-2k

now see here is word that it is possible... straight from a guy that has done it, and helped a few ppl do it... if you read his is only expensive because it is built with lots of work done to it

Thanks for that, but he came on here trying to flame me. Ive read his post here and at Modulardep0t, and its the same old story. Somebody is God to the NA 2v seen and did a 5.4 swap so they can come on other sites and flame those that know they wasted money on nothing. Personally, I think they have an issue knowing they wasted a ton on money on a 5.4 that does nothing over a 4.6.

I'm the guy he's quoting. Your own ignorance and doubts aside, all things are possible with effort. You should really read up before you shoot people down. I started my swap on a 1000 dollar budget and made it but then the week I was gonig to drop it in I decided to do a built motor and spent another 5500 bucks getting there.

Most of the people who've done the swap did it with the stock tune and later got a performance tune. It'll run just fine on a stock tune and with stock heads and cams and a PI intake on adapter plates 280/350+ is not uncommon after the tune. With a proper 5.4 specific intake(modded L intakes, custom, or HPS's new intake), longtubes and stage 2 cams you can easily pull 350rwhp/tq out of it on pump gas.

If you're going to be a jerk about disagreeing, at least have the courtesy to be correct or educate yourself by going and reading the 109 pages of that thread dude linked. It's perfectly cost effective if your goals are in line with the documented results.

Just because it's not your limited view of the way things should be it is an option, it is sick fast and cheap and easy. Get off your high horse kiddo.

BTW... a basic 5.4 swap with a tune normally yeilds 50hp/tq over a tuned NA 2v 4.6 even when hamstrung with adapter plates. Yeah...that's nothing huh.

to you.... Ive read your post here, and at the "other" forums. Congrats on the swap, Im glad your happy, though your a complete fool. Show me some NA trap speeds and ET's that excede those on my list( the entire mod motor community list that Bill Putnam let me take control of for stangnet) I know you put a lot of work in to the swap, but please, before you come back on here calling me a "kiddo", lol, your the normal newbie to the modmoter seen with the typical pushrod mentality. You are lame. You're by know means the first, nor the last on the 5.4 bandwagon. Sorry you have no sense and fell for the 5.4 swap. Chalk one up on the retard 5.4 list.wake up to the 2v seen. Im not a newb to this, been around for a long time I know my stuff, help put together the fastest turbo car in the country at one point(DTA, Shannon Wheeler), and dont need a flame fest. You jumped into that other thread thinking your high and mighter for doing the swap, completely negating what the thread was actually about. Ive read your threads at the "other sites" and dont need you crying over here. Its so funny seeing people like you pop up every year or two to the boards proclaiming the 5.4 as a great swap. Just an FYI, Ive read all your post here and at ModularDep0t, and your about 6 years late to the game. Sorry you wasted a bunch of money on crap, though you will try to spin it otherwise.

and yea more torque is a performance upgrade last time i heard, OR wait never mind according to what i am reading from you.. torque ehh who cares about torque its not a performance upgrade..

lol, Ive got a bit more experience with a 2v than you do, and your ReDnEck booty buddy or whatever he goes by here and ModularDep0t. The 4.6 na makes very little torque for a v8. Getting the car in the powerband, matching the aftermarket cams to the heads, and most importantly, getting the proper gear in the car is the most important. Want torque? Spray the car at 3500rpm. Ill promise that you will have your torque.

he asked for idea's i gave one and you keep on bashing me and R3dn3ck on it.. STFU..

Your idea was so far off the map, it is not worth it. Telling other members that have been here 7-8 years to STFU because you know that somebody did the 5.4 swap is...... immature, ignorant, and not worth it. I called you out because I didnt want him wasting his money on some ignorant response from somebody like you. Ive been around this site for a while, and many, many people on this site are much more qualified mechanically and intellectually than I about 2v's. However, Im on my 3rd NA 2v gt, 2 headswaps, cams ,4 motors, and over 300 track passes allows me to voice my own opinion, even when Im wrong. But years ago, when the c0rral, modulardep0t, and stangnet were not as big, you had people post crazy stuff like a 5.4 swap to newbies and watch them waste their money. No ego here, but as in the other post, when I see somebody suggest something so far out in left feild, it bothers me after being a member here for so long. Absolutely no need for a member to even consider a crazy option like that from people that have no experience.

It takes no brains to figure out that the 4.6 makes very little torque NA. It just does not happen. Bill Putnam, the fastest NA bolt on 2v to date, strongly agrees. Nobody is doubting that an NA 2v makes awesome torque, bc it doesnt. However, Gearing is so, so, so crucial in a 2v car. Get traction, a gear in the car and your good. Do you want to do a 3-5 thousand dollar labor abd parts, 5.4 swap for little to no horsepower? Retarded. Ive also heard that

by thomas...............
otherwise 2V heads are just not good enough to supply the air requirements of the additional displacement

this qoute is spot on from what I have gathered over the last 8-9 years

I congradulate those that go 5.4 way, because to them, they feel like they are breaking uncharted territory, but if you have been around a while, you see that its a complete waste. Every so often, its the same old story with somebody doing the swap then telling others they are dumb and dont know what they are talking about. Neways, its new years morning, and Im up, so lets finish our last late night brew, and leave the 5.4's in our river(mine), work, ranch or hauling trucks.

SXYXC, with this board, and with any other board, you always need to take the info with a grain of salt. Just because someone or a few have done a 5.4 swap, or put a blower and combo making xxxxhp, does not mean that they know what they are talking about for everybody in every application. Thats why WE all Learn from experience, and use msg boards as the best supplement and reference.......

Definitely some misinformation in this thread. The biggest glaring one is "The 5.4 flows better air and therefore produces more torque." It's the additional stroke that produces the additional torque. There is no question that the additional torque is driver friendly and appears to produce more power in a DD, but in the real world, that is a ton of expense and work for little gain. Like others have stated, I would much rather put my 2K into mods for my 4.6 2V for better results than the swap alone would produce. That's just my .02

Definitely some misinformation in this thread. The biggest glaring one is "The 5.4 flows better air and therefore produces more torque." It's the additional stroke that produces the additional torque. There is no question that the additional torque is driver friendly and appears to produce more power in a DD, but in the real world, that is a ton of expense and work for little gain. Like others have stated, I would much rather put my 2K into mods for my 4.6 2V for better results than the swap alone would produce. That's just my .02

again, right on..........

You misinterpreted what I said. Yes the longer stroke produces more torque and am not denying that. What was said is because the 5.4 requires more air and is not getting it, it produces more Torque.

ok i just want to say this first.. Winters98GT i didn't tell you to STFU because i thought you were and idiot i told you because its stupid that just because i said one thing you jumped down my throat about it. that was more there to tell you that i didn't appreciate the way you were trash talking me, just because i don't have as much experience as you...

and as the 5.4 ok i see what yall mean, and yes gears help alot... but sometimes ppl like to be different and don't want an outrageous car with not torque n/a... so they go the not so much taken rout have a nice car with torque...

now for the race scene i see how it would have its disadvantages. but dd street were torque is wanted i don't see how its a bad thing.

but dd street were torque is wanted i don't see how its a bad thing.

Well if stop light racing is your thing, then fill your boots with a 5.4 2V swap. Just let of the gas when the 5.4 falls flat on it's face. A proper setup 4.6 though will leave you at the lights too.