Why does everybody do this???

I know that the answer to this is probably really simple and I'm going to feel dumb when it's answered but I searched and didn't see any explanations so...

why do all of the instructions to just about every part installation tell you to disconnect the battery before starting???

For instance...why do you need to disconnect the battery when you're just swapping out your intake plenum or throttle body???

does something get reset when you unplug power from everything???

and if so...are we supposed to re-tune the car after the battery has been unplugged every time (talking about w/ the x-cal 2)???

• Sponsors (?)

with an x-cal 2 you need to unplug the battery AFTER flashing the tune to let the ECU reset with the new tune on all pre 98 eligible cars. This is also recomended but not nessary when doing it to a 98 and up. All instructions ask you to unplug the batt when dealing with anything electric to prvent a short on something metal in the process, and also to let ur ECU reset like if your now using a speed cal. Or dealing with the TPS sensor which relaies heaily on voltage readouts

I've heard 'reset your computer' before...but that scares me into believing that I should re-tune the car w/ my xcal after every little mod I make.

is that accurate, or do I have something wrong?

when you reflash your computer it's like loading new software on your desktop. It will from now on use that software always untill new software is reinstalled. But you dont want to work on your computer while it's running right? so you shut it off (in this case unplug it's power source) change some things then turn it back on. It will still use the previous software tho

The reason is real simple. They don't want you to accidentally cause an electrical short while doing whatever it is you're doing.
Not sure about Mustangs but all the GM cars I've done re-flashes on DO NOT require the battery to be disconnected at any point.

^^ i can unplug my battery for an hour and my radio stations :shrug: are still stored...

Also, i unplug the battery when fooling with the passenger side header bolts. Sometimes my socket slips and his the starter and makes a big spark.

after you unplug the battery from both cables touch them together to discharge anything left in the system.

like said before they have to make sure and cover their ass, so nobody says "well how was i supposed to know it would fry my ecu"

this "rule" was recommened way before ECU's. Yeah, there was a time when cars didn't have a computer runing the show. It is to prevent shorts while you are splicing a hot wire and your plyers bang against the firewall welding then to the firewall. Disconnect the battary and no blown fuses. But I seldem if rarly ever disconnect the battart. I have put in 3 head units and a few amps and various other things and haven't touched the battary.

why do all of the instructions to just about every part installation tell you to disconnect the battery before starting???

For instance...why do you need to disconnect the battery when you're just swapping out your intake plenum or throttle body???

It clears all of the previous air intake reading so that with the new larger quantity of air coming in it doesn't make the computer think you are running rich or lean and cause hesitation problems. It is also recommended that you leave it disconnected for at least 15 minutes before you reconnect to ensure all old data is gone.