Why does my car die when I unplug the IAC?

• Sponsors (?)

It's all about how you set the idle. On a cold motor, just about all stangs should need IAC assistance. But once warm, if you adjusted the idle with no IAC duty cycle needed (I have mine this way), then it will idle fine on its own. Once I turn on the AC or the fan comes on (an additional load), then the IAC DC kicks up.

Good luck.

a couple possibilities, when you unplug the IAC its going to completely close not allowing any air to flow around the throttle plate by way of the IAC, so you could either have a throttle plate that just needs to be adjusted (setting idle) or you could have excessive "coking" in your throttle body, it wouldnt hurt to take the throttle body off and clean it real well and get that coking off, hope it helps

Nacho, what RPM are you setting the idle at? If you try to go much above the commanded idle, surging can occur.

i'm trying to get it at 650-700 w/o the iac. the times I've set it, the car has been cold, I'll try it again while it's hot. Anymore input?

The car should be hot (and with all accessories off) to set the idle with the IAC disconnected.

I'm sorry Hissin, I 'm an ignorant fool. lol

Thanks buddy, I'll re-re-re-re set it.

Not at all man. This stuff is kinda confusing, especially since there are two primary methods of idle adjustment out there, and the other one has you set the idle with the car cold (but the IAC connected, IIRC. I don't like this method so I don't use it or know it very well).

Good luck with it. :nice: