why does my convertible spin so bad

jjjjjgrant

Mar 25, 2006
my 89 gt convertible has alot of mods, but nothing too serious, has a shift kit and stall converter. it is my daily driver. it has southside bars and it spins terrible, the car is lowered, so i'm guessing the southsides are not as functional on a lowered car???? i can be at a 15 mph roll and break the tires loose, hit second and it breaks them loose again and this is without getting into it all the way. of course i could go to a larger rear tire, but i just don't think it should be spinning this bad with the stock size tires. my 93 gt with engine mods and stock suspension and five speed has a hard time trying to turn em over, it hooks good. email me direct if anyone has any ideas. could it just be the nature of a convertible??
[email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

Stock type and sized tires aren't going to get a grip no matter what you do to the car. I have upper and lower control arms, sub frame connectors and battle box reinforcements and my almost stock engine can easily turn over 245s in 1st and 2nd and it gets a healthy chirp in 3rd. Now if I were to put a set of stickies on my car I have a feeling it would be a whole different story.

Since verts are more flexible than full bodied cars the problem is even worse. Sub frame connectors are an absolute must in verts.

buy new tires first, especially if yours are old, worn out or otherwise crap. i had some really old junk tires i got with a parts car, slapped them on my 82 and i could spin the tires through 3rd on wet pavment pretty easily, i bought new 225-60/15 tires for the back(has 215 in front, same tire otherwise) from les schwab and it made a huge difference, i can spin through 2nd but it actually moves even while spinning, my old tires would just sit there and you didnt really move

~Mark~

tires won't help as much as you'd like it to. It's a weight transfer issue. My bro has the exact same problem in his ttop with a gt40 motor. He's got a high 12, low 13 second car that won't best 15's because of spinnage.

you need weight transfer. get drag radials, or go with a drag suspension, or unfortunately get used to it