Why does the 2 chamber get quieter as the RPM gets higher?

Is it just me or is that normal for the Flowmaster Original 40 Series. It sounds loud in the low RPM, but when I get on it I don't hear $hit. I want that true muscle sound at every RPM range. But it seems like it gets quieter as the RPM gets higher. Could it be that I have an Auto. Does that have anything to do with sound? Please advise. Thank You in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

00BlackBeautyGT said:
Is it just me or is that normal for the Flowmaster Original 40 Series. It sounds loud in the low RPM, but when I get on it I don't hear $hit. I want that true muscle sound at every RPM range. But it seems like it gets quieter as the RPM gets higher. Could it be that I have an Auto. Does that have anything to do with sound? Please advise. Thank You in advance.

I had just 2-chamber flows on my otherwise stock '01 GT and never noticed the exhaust sound getting quieter :shrug:

I've since added the L/T headers and an O/R H-pipe to compliment the Flows...all I can say is :jaw:

If the Flows alone were quiet...they ain't no mo :nice:

The old ones didn't. I still have them on my 64 Fairlane. They are still 2 chamber but the casing is the length of the 3 chamber. They were the opposite. They were sooo loud at the top. Sounded awesome. I think thats why they changed them. Cause they were too loud. But I definately agree they are quieter at the top. Maybe you can find an old used pair.I will be keeping mine forever.

How the flows sound strongly depends on how the rest of your exhaust is setup!

With factory H-pipe when I first got my 2000, flows did get quiet at higher revs but with o/r x I found that they kept getting louder, I beleive it has something to do with the muffling effect of backpressure in the system before the cats.