Why i hate EFI... or wiring in general

Busted07

I need my gorilla to be about an inch longer.
Nov 15, 2005
So last night im wrecnhin on the car, and have to clear everything out so the roll bar can be welded in. (another long story) so i look at the harness on the floor that goes from the taillights, and runs up the drivers side all the way to under the dashboard.

I think to myself "hey, it would be easier to weld everything if that wasnt in the way!" so i start dissasembling it. 2 hours later, i was ready to drink an entire bottle of vodka by myself, and sleep in the garage because i wasnt worthy to retun into my own house.

The 3 big connectors under the dash are anough to make a grown man cry. I sat there on each one, i know for at least 40 minutes, trying to ease the connectors apart without breaking them. needless to say almost all 3 clips on those connectors are broken almost as much as my spirit. determined, i finally found that using 2 pairs of pliers, and alot of patience will set them free. There is a set of wires that seems to dissapear into the body, which i later founf out are for the little plunger thingy that tells when your door is open. I probably have over a grand in tools, and could not find a damn socket or wrench that would fit it correctly. I thought i was good to go once i got those connectors lose... thats when i saw they were connected to the damn tranny tunnel, and to the emergency brake switch and to whatever the hell that thing is right under the 1/4 window.

I would like to meet the people at ford that designed these connectors and beat the ever loving **** out of them. Maybe its due to the wiring being 15 years old (another reason im switching to carb) or that they were made with a such a perfect fit, that they didnt think anyone would ever take them apart or whatever.

But in the end, i won, and i pulled all the wiring back through and its now laying in my hatch.

someone please tell me that engineers could have used more common sense when they made these connectors to where it didnt have to be so damn difficult to get them apart.

/end rant

• Sponsors (?)

i have no remorse. if i couldnt get it loose i broke them on purpose and just used some tape around the seam when i was all said and done with. you coulda pulled everything out and went with a painless wiring kit?

i have no remorse. if i couldnt get it loose i broke them on purpose and just used some tape around the seam when i was all said and done with. you coulda pulled everything out and went with a painless wiring kit?

I am strognly considering it... there is so much BS under the dash i know i dont need. The only things i need are my fuel gauge, speedo, taillights, headlights and junk like that. i would like to eliminate as much as possible, but i dont know what controls what just yet.

Oh, and the dude that owned the car before me must have been in some serious audio competitions. I probably took out about 5 pounds of speaker wire last night, just from under the dash. It wasnt connected to anything, it was just... there.

The plastic clips that hold the wiring harnesses together are one of many things in life that lose their flexibility with age...

Just for anyone that doesnt know which wiring im talking about... its this bundle. Runs from under the drivers side of the dash, all the way back to the taillights.

i moved it all so i can get good welds on the rollbar, thats why its sitting in the hatch right now.

View attachment 399851