Why I shouldnt get a LS/Lt 1

• Sponsors (?)

One Wicked SVT said:
by all means, buy a LS1.

215pee-wee horsepower + $3k in mods to still lose... or win off the bat.

Your choice.

LS1's with a LID and very cheap bolt ons net 12's without a flinch.

Personally, I dont like them.
Oops! You forgot the $2k premium on a LT1 over a 94-95 GT. Jump up to an LS1 and you will at least double the cost of the GT.

Dollar for dollar you could mod the sh1t out of a GT and blow any stock LS1 away.

Dollar for DOLLAR in the LONG RUN... the LS1 is still ahead.

I fully understand they have 50cubes ahead... but damn those cubes are working wonders for it.

Their bottom end can easily support near 1khp.

You can go 12's with just basic baby bolt ons, free mods.

12's on a 94-95... umm... H/C/I/REAR GEARS/SLICKS(or D/R's).

Dude, seriously. Its expensive.

My friend picked up a SS for $9500. Thats what... $4k more than a 94-95 these days?

Add up the parts above and you are near that range.

Do a cam swap in that same LS1 and you better believe you are mid 11's with D/R's.

Let me guess.... "So I can put a 347 in my car". Umm... yea but thats still $$$$$$.

So now in the end you exceded the price amount of the SS by double and STILL need to play catch up.

Not for nothing but you port the heads on the LS1, do a cam swap and get some D/Rs and the damn car will dyno close to 450rwhp.

PERSONALLY... I love my Cobra...

She got a aluminum block, DOHC, exotic exhaust note and a bullet proof bottom end(of course I did this).... and puts down damn near 600hp to the ground. :nice:

Will I EVER BUY a LS1 based vehicle? No.

Please dont confuse me with a GM lover or anything, because I am not. I am a car enthusiast... and those cars got a bad ass engine that deserves respect.

GRGT1994 said:
Oops! You forgot the $2k premium on a LT1 over a 94-95 GT. Jump up to an LS1 and you will at least double the cost of the GT.

Dollar for dollar you could mod the sh1t out of a GT and blow any stock LS1 away.

Yeah, STOCK ones, and even then it wouldn't "blow" away. You have take a Stang putting out 215 at the CRANK, where LS1s are anywhere between 270-320 at the WHEELS (If you don't believe me, check out http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1740888&postcount=10). One Wicked SVT pretty much sums it up, H/C/I. Maybe with just h/c with 98+ GTs, but we are not talking about them.

How often do you see a stock ls1? Even if they are stock, they are running low/mid 13s.

yeah i hear ya , but, today i went and checked out a 00 z28 and I just didnt like it . The seating postion and were the shifter was all felt nice, but the angle of the windshield and ****just felt wrong. Id rather mod another 94-5. modding is fun anyways .
:banana:

One Wicked SVT said:
Dollar for DOLLAR in the LONG RUN... the LS1 is still ahead.
Ok, let's clear the fog with facts. A 98' SS books at $9,900 (private party, more like $12,200 from a dealer - check Edmunds). That's the first year the LS1 was available in the Camero.

So the budget for our 95 GT build up is $9,900. If you are telling me you can't whoop the stock LS1's a$$ within that price, then I am at a loss. But here goes.

The 95' GT books at $3,800. That leaves you over $6,000 for the H/C/I, gears and DR. Let's throw in a good dyno tune too. All that (while admittedly expensive) can easily be done for under $6,000. In fact, there is still room to work in a Vortech blower kit in our GT build up, and we just start to bump through the SS stock cost.

That's all I was saying. Sure the LS1 has a far higher buildout potential. But a drunken monkey could tell you that (350 ci > 302 ci).

By the way, keep in mind that these book prices are not real world prices. GM sold FAR fewer F bodies than Mustangs that Ford pounded out (partly because they built a car that only a hard core car nut could stomach, let alone love). So you will have to look farther and harder to find a nice SS, compared to even the effort it would take to find a quality Mustang, even 3 years older.

jinxed myself,waterpump just pucked on my 94 z and we are going into a winter advisory ..150 for a new pump..so i gotta swap out the ol one tommorow up in the barn..the z is settin next to the cobra,the motley crew...actually I like both cars,as my son said 'if they only put these two together"

GRGT1994 said:
By the way, keep in mind that these book prices are not real world prices. GM sold FAR fewer F bodies than Mustangs that Ford pounded out (partly because they built a car that only a hard core car nut could stomach, let alone love). So you will have to look farther and harder to find a nice SS, compared to even the effort it would take to find a quality Mustang, even 3 years older.

Yeah everyone and their brother has a Stang. That is one of the major reasosn I'm wanting a 4th gen WS6. I hardly see any Firebirds around here.

Oh and an LS1 is 346CI :D

But I can agree with what you said with the $9k statement. With about $6k left, you can build one badass car. My dad bought his 95 GT Vert two years ago for $6k with a "bad" tranny. $3800 seems low for a 95 GT. The only ones around here for that price at the 6 bangers (SN95 style).

"teh LS1 can neva lose!" :rlaugh:

Before I bought my stang 2 months ago I was also in search for a T/A or Camaro but after sitting in them I was immediately turned off. The long nose to me feels uncomfortable and I like the petitness of my 95 stang. I dont appreciate some of you guys though trash talkin camaros and such as "mullet-mobiles" because for one thing mustangs are not known for their classiness themselves. When a car brings less than 10 grand your bound to see all walks of life owning them. I loved chevys before I bought my stang and my dad owns two corvettes a 72 stingray and a 96 Lt4 Grand Sport and I think that Chevy and Ford enthusiasts should stop getting on each others back and realize that together they are great American cars. We need to team up and fight against all those rice boys who think that anything made in America sucks and that there 2 liter p.o.s can race anything on 4 wheels and sometimes 2. :flag:

his thread is hilarious

you have the mustang guys who hate the ls1 and use bul**** arguments for it and exagerrate the price of mods and how fast it will go

and you have the F body suggestors who dont know **** either and are exaggerating what it will actually do.

I say get an ls1, get an 01-02 so you already have the ls6 intake... or grab a 98

so you have a real oil pressure guage and you can go at it.

if you want to drag, get an a4 and stall the crap out of it. i wouldnt go under a 3400 for a stock motor. slap some drag radials on it an ls6 intake long tubes ORY and the catback of your choice. NOT FLOWMASTERS. or you could run a tru duals setup which sounds wicked with an x and dynomax race bullets.

next do your cam there are tons to choose form and you can make it a good all over or choose one of the big arse cams and go for big cam only peak hp numbers... make sure your stall is big enough for it though.

if a gas getting daily that will trap anywhere from 114 - 120 do the previous to a 6 speed car grab yourself a new clutch and cam and full boltons

LT full exhaust ls6 intake S2 or s3 ported TB lid, and whatever cam you want along with suporting valvetrain and ls1 edit tune
if you decide to get one of the monster cams out there and want a sick cam only car grab a set of gears 3.73s-4.10s these big number cam only cars are very peaky and kick high up. of course you will need drag radials

Do a cam swap in that same LS1 and you better believe you are mid 11's with D/R's.

this statement is WRONG

Not for nothing but you port the heads on the LS1, do a cam swap and get some D/Rs and the damn car will dyno close to 450rwhp.

so is this one

yes, how about 2 roomates heads cam

one m6 onewith 4.10s one stalled a4 with a 4400 stalled daily driver.

several close friends with heads cam vettes, heads cam stroker, 427s, ehads cam all bore hybrid s200 swap, heads cam blower rap loads of cam only cars, cam and bottle cars.

pretty much everyone of my friends drives an f body with at least LT full exhaust i know their cars better than them and can drive them better (m6).

i spend as much time on ls1tech camaroz28 ls2 ls1.com(in the past) as i do here and corral.

you are exaggerating like crazy.

95snoozer said:
so you have a real oil pressure guage and you can go at it.

The temp is real in 98 also.

and you have the F body suggestors who dont know **** either and are exaggerating what it will actually do.
I know I'm not exaggering like crazy. Everything I have said is what I have gathered in the last few months on F-bods. I'm not prefect, but I hope that statement doesn't apply to me.

_JB_ said:
The temp is real in 98 also.

thats what i said, i suggested the 01+ because of the ls6 intake stock and of course the better flowing exhaust manifolds over the 98 99 etc and less risk of a shortblock with the oil consumption problems

_JB_ said:
I know I'm not exaggering like crazy. Everything I have said is what I have gathered in the last few months on F-bods. I'm not prefect, but I hope that statement doesn't apply to me.

honestly i was just talking about svt guy and the green gt with the multicolored car.

95snoozer said:
yes, how about 2 roomates heads cam

one m6 onewith 4.10s one stalled a4 with a 4400 stalled daily driver.

several close friends with heads cam vettes, heads cam stroker, 427s, ehads cam all bore hybrid s200 swap, heads cam blower rap loads of cam only cars, cam and bottle cars.

pretty much everyone of my friends drives an f body with at least LT full exhaust i know their cars better than them and can drive them better (m6).

i spend as much time on ls1tech camaroz28 ls2 ls1.com(in the past) as i do here and corral.

you are exaggerating like crazy.

Your denying that a LS1 vehicle with the Borla exhaust, LID and CAM swap, the car is not a 11 second car?

Thats not overeggazeration, its fact.

A heads, cam LS1 is DEEP 11's easily.