Why is my Car Shut Off when I Down Shift?

Black98Cobra

Aug 23, 2002
When I down shift from 3K RPM or above and then take it out of gear around 1500 RPM the car will turn off. The RPMs will drop below normal idle RPM when this happens. My check engine light is not on and I just replaced the air-idle sensor on the intake because I thought that was the problem. What else would make the car shut off like that? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

hey does your A/C work? I know my A/C compressor is not working at all, and everytime i have it on and i come to a stop sign or slow down i have to turn it off because it pulls from the motor so badly that it makes my car stall, that is just a thought. Hope you get it figured out bro.

Matt

Fortunately, I the compressor works fine. I was not running the A/C at the time. Thank you very much for your thought though. Now the only thing I can think it may be is a leaking hose. Hopefully that is all it is.
Matt, thanks again.

Black98Cobra said:
Fortunately, I the compressor works fine. I was not running the A/C at the time. Thank you very much for your thought though. Now the only thing I can think it may be is a leaking hose. Hopefully that is all it is.
Matt, thanks again.

does the car have a steady idle??

I had the problem with my 99 Cobra. I replaced the IAC- no help. I have the AFM Power pipe and the Pro-M in the fender. Raising the filter up out of the airstream about 1-1.5" cured the problem completely. Have your mechanic run a tester hooked up while driving the car. Should show Mass Air problems. They won't show up when the car is stationary.

Hope this helps.

That has to be it becasue I have a 90mm Mass-Air Meter and a cold air kit to the fender. When you say you raised the airfilter up, you mean basically lifting it up towards the hood, right? I take it this changed the altered the flow pattern enough to solve the problem. Can you rotate you MAM from side to side? I can not. I talked to a guy today and he said that would solve the problem, but if I can't rotate it, I still have a problem. Hope to here back from you!!
Thank you very much for your help!

I raised it by physically lifting it and pushing the air tube slightly more into the rubber boot at the TB. My MAM can be turned slightly on the mount by loosening the clamp. I'm pretty sure just lifting the unit up out of the airstream turbulance will work. i had a SVT mechanic working on it and he couldn't find the problem until he drove the car with the analyzer hooked up.

I have a short piece of angled metal strap that bolts to the fender and attached by a clamp around the air tube. This holds the tube up about as far as it will go.

I have looked into the stalling/shutoff problem for more than a year and a CAI in the fender seems to be a common problem.