Dec 17, 2003
Tucson, AZ
I have a 1997 GT Auto with the following mods:

Off road x pipe
2 chamber Flowmasters
3.73 gears
K&N
FMS C Springs

I took the car to the track a while back and was very dissapointed. The car ran 15.8s at about 87 MPH with a 2.3 60 ft time. Traction was not a problem. I see new v6 5 speeds duplicating these times :nonono: Shouldn't my car be faster, especially with the gears? Weather wasn't too good-muggy after one of our Tucson monsoon storms. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

hey dont feel bad. i have a 97 Cougar with the 4.6L in it so i understand your woes. with your mods your car i probably making 15 or so hp than mine is. how are you launching? when you pull up i have heard it recomended not to go though the water if youi have street tires. radials are made to disapate heat etc so you are just getting your tires wet. pull around it and power brake your car. when you launch, power brake your car to the brink of eing able to keep your tires from spinning. on my car I have been playing around seeing ho high i can go, and still launch effectively. I went up to 2200-2500, when i let of the brake i just sat and spun. ( probably doesnt help my car does peg leeged burnouts. i need trak lok, lol ) My car comes out of the hole real well at 11500 rpm, chirps a little and goes. Make sure you turn overdrive off too. the mustang has the benefit of woder tires as well, so yo ushould be good to go. be patient and ask guys at the track for advice, if they are cool, they'll be more htan happy to help.

:OT: Did you ever get those long tubes on your car? I know about them because Im the guy that comes into your shop with the black 2003 GT. As far as your car not being fast I still think alot of it has to do with the altitude here. When the track re-opens I hope to take my car down there and see if I run alot slower than I think I should as well. Are there any other 96-98 GTs out there running without the PI head swap? If so, what are they running?

BC5200 said:
I've got a 96 GT auto and ran 15.4 @ 90 mph with 2 chamber flows, 4.10 gears, cold air intake, Under Drive Pulleys and Timing Adjuster

BTW- I had a 2.0 60ft time
These cars are just really slow.

how does that happen???? i ran almost bone stock but just with catback and ran a 15.4 and that was with no traction and i went through the water box on street tires. :rlaugh: ... i just got 4 10s and pullys and im expecting to pull into the mid 14's easy. Just keep on practicing guys..

You need a headswap. No Flames please, its just a reality in your car. After a certain rpm, a 96-98GT flat falls on its face. The 3.73's will only help so much. Its all due to the narrow powerband of that engine.

A shift kit, or Jerry Mod and a torque converter would help in a big way.

Don't be discouraged by some of the newer V6 Stangs. I've seen 99+ V6's with a 5speed, 3.73.s, exhaust, and a few engine mods run 14.9 at the track. They can be made to run too.

AZGT said:
with a 2.3 60 ft time. Traction was not a problem.

yes, traction was a problem. They say each tenth in your 60 ft. time is good for .1 to .2 on your ET.

Since you have an auto, turn OD off, drive AROUND the water box, do not use it or go through it, spin your tires a couple times to clean the crap off them. Go up to the line, on the last yellow light launch off idle at about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, depending on how much you spin, then go WOT as soon as you know you have good traction.

Not trying to shift direction of this thread, just a question, you guys say the 96-98 Mustangs need a head swap, why would ford put heads that didnt perform well on a Mustang? I dont understand. Wouldnt they try their best to keep the competition close between the mustang and the Fbodys? Can someone explain that to me? Thanks