Why Me? Why Now?

mustangapril

Sep 14, 2008
Yuma, AZ
was dropping my mom off at the airport after spending 3 weeks with me and helping with the baby when my car just stopped running! I was driving along and it stopped and the check engine light came on. I have no idea what it might be....all I know i that I was having a hard enough time saying goodbye to my mom and this happens with my baby in the car.....

any ideas what it may be? yes, i have gas in the car lol but im wondering, could it be a fuel problem?

• Sponsors (?)

cant rule out a bad PIP in the dizzy.

pull codes first,then check for spark.

to check for spark,you can pick up a spark tester at Harbor Freight(under $5),put it inline between the coil and dizzy and try to start the car.if none or very intermittent spark,could be the PIP

has it done this before?
when you try to start it,does it just crank and crank?
after cooling off,will it start?

If it just clicks, put a battery charger on it or use a jumper battery (if doing the latter, be aware of proper battery cable connecting, to minimize the chance of explosion). Once you get it where it will turn over, then run codes and check for spark and injector pulsing like the guys noted.

Since you got the car home from the airport, you might find it's a battery or battery cable issue. The cold weather can stress both.

FWIW, the 30 dollar LCD code reader might be money well spent. It's very easy to use and pays for itself vs having a shop pull codes (if they charge you, and your car is mobile).

Good luck.

Yeah, a low battery/bad connection sounds very likely at this point. Clean all the crud off the battery terminals (take them off to do it) and put them back on nice and tight. Then get a jump and let it run for a good 5 minutes or take it around the block. If it still just clicks when you go to restart it, have the battery tested at Checker or Autozone as it may be bad.

If jumping it gets it started and it dies after a few minutes or right away, it's probably a bad alternator. But it's more likely the battery or simply corrosion at the terminal.