Why no 6 speed love?

Discussion in '2005 - 2009 Specific Tech' started by Epiphany, Apr 3, 2004.

1. 65conv50

65conv50 New Member

The point I am trying to make is that 6-speed is one gear better than 5-speed. It's really just that simple. If the 5-speed has the same top gearing as my 6-speed, then you don't have the same gear available as my 5th. (4th is 1/1 on 'most all transmissions) Changing the rearend ratio is certainly not a solution, as that would negate the highway advantage.

I bought tall gears in my Formula specifically because I wanted a car for high speed interstate cruising. With a 6-speed, I have an overdrive for around town, too. (And the only numbers that are relevant are RPM vs MPH.)

I repeat - don't knock a 6-speed until you have had a few years using one. There are reasons why serious performance car makers, like BMW, are going to 6-speed.

2. Rootus

Rootus Officially Addicted

Dammit, performance cars are really behind the ball on this one, even semi trucks have more gears than we do. I won't be truly happy until I have at least 9 forward gears!!

3. SVTdriver

SVTdriver Founding Member

A 6 speed is 1 gear more than a 5 speed. Not necessarily 1 gear better. Yes I don't have the gearing as your 5th gear. But the question becomes. Do I need that extra gear? And the answer is not always going to be yes. By no means am i knocking the 6 speed. Merely pointing out that it is not always necessary. I personally don't need another split between 1/1 and .62/1. Would I like it? Yes I would. As for around town. My overdrive works just fine. I have enough torque to move it.

4. eric n

eric n Founding Member

svt driver wrote : "You can't have your cake and eat it too all the time. "

Actually you can. You can have your cake and eat it too. Even though people alway say that. IN fact it would be difficult to eat cake without having it.

The original saying, which NO ONE ever gets right is, "You can't eat your cake and have it too." This is because once you have eaten it, you no longer have it. It's gone. Sure some is smeared on your face, but pretty much it's gone.

So to recap

YES YOU CAN:
    Have your cake and eat it too.

YOU CAN NOT:
    Eat your cake and have it too.

Sorry to bore everyone with this unimportant trivia, but for what ever reason it makes me bonkers.

5. 351CJ

351CJ New Member

I have been trying to point out that some of the claims about 6 speed trannies have been way overblown and do not hold up to the facts.

With that said, the jump from 1.00 to .62 (ratio in the T-3650) is too wide a gap. An intermediate OD ration of .80 would be nice. At least my 2001 GT has a T45 with a .67 OD ratio. I've driven 2003 & 2003 GT's with that .62 ratio and it is a HUGE gap in the ratios from 4th to 5th.

However I would not want a Ford T56 with only a 2.66 1st gear ratio, that is just too tall a 1st gear and the difference in ratios from 2.66 to .63 is way to narrow. It just makes no sense with a 300 HP GT engine.

The GM T56 with a 2.66 1st and a .50 6th would only make sense in an 05 GT with 4.30 gears.

6. SVTdriver

SVTdriver Founding Member

I think we could find the gear splitters the semi's use. But you'd have to install an air compressor. And then figure out where to house the huge driveline parts. With a little work we could get you to an 18 speed. :D