Why only the 460 BB in a Fox?

• Sponsors (?)

willys1 said:
I gotta check that..If where counting 50's then you forgot the 292,the 312 T-Bird motor,youve seem to forgotten the 351,the 289 & the 260..not sure about the 360.what did it come in?

i know they made 360's in the 60-70's, had a buddy with a 68? f-250 that had one. iirc it used a 390 block and a 351c crank. tried to get to use the 390 crank but he was too broke to buy too many aftermarket pieces and settled for an eddy intake and 4bbl instead.

Chuckman said:
i know they made 360's in the 60-70's, had a buddy with a 68? f-250 that had one. iirc it used a 390 block and a 351c crank. tried to get to use the 390 crank but he was too broke to buy too many aftermarket pieces and settled for an eddy intake and 4bbl instead.
nah I was talking about a factory 360.They never made one in the 60's and 70's..Sure you could custom bore and stroke it to 360!! In the 70's a 360 was a Mopar.

willys1 said:
I gotta check that..If where counting 50's then you forgot the 292,the 312 T-Bird motor,youve seem to forgotten the 351,the 289 & the 260..not sure about the 360.what did it come in?

Im only talking about the FE's,but if you want to get into Y blocks and what not,Im not to familar.

The Windsor family was around later than the Y blocks,and they were making FE at the same time as the Windsor,then in either 69 or 70 they came out with Clevelands,and then continued production of Cleveland based "M" motors,witch were mostly in trucks and vans.The 385 series was also around during this time.

But the Y blocks were out of the picture in the mid fifties and that why I didnt mention them.I think the Y blocks were like 260,292,312,331?

Your also forgetting the Windsor based 255....

willys1 said:
nah I was talking about a factory 360.

They were a factory engine; probably more common than the 390. They were nothing more than a 390 with a shorter stroke. Very common in late 60's/early 70's f250's as someone else mentioned.

And back to the original question, price and availability make the 460 as popular as it is. Cheaper to stroke a 460 to massive c.i. than to work with old tech 428's/427's that are worth more to those doing restorations.

FE motors are EXPENSIVE AND BIG!!!! i have a 427 fully assembled sitting on a engine stand that came out of my dads 67 mustang that went 9.90s all motor....it is just too expensive to put in a fox

NKau said:
They were a factory engine; probably more common than the 390. They were nothing more than a 390 with a shorter stroke. Very common in late 60's/early 70's f250's as someone else mentioned.

And back to the original question, price and availability make the 460 as popular as it is. Cheaper to stroke a 460 to massive c.i. than to work with old tech 428's/427's that are worth more to those doing restorations.
uhhh....no there was no 360, there was a 357 which was also part of the FE family

Make it simple, just stick to the basics...

289-302-351W-351C-400M-427-428-429-460

These are the basic engines that most come across when talking about Fords...unless your doing some tooth and nail resto....Thats my opinion.
If your building a performance engine. Its usually cheaper to build a small block Ford. There just isn't enough after market to support cheap big block builds. Thats why you never see many 429-460, etc. In Fox Mustangs, its just to exspensive unless your building an all out racer, strip only car.

The 385 series engines were designed to replace the aging FE engines....on top of the obvious benefits, 385 series engines also feature lighter reciprocating assemblies and better oiling system ....and everyone knows the 385 engines have almost unlimited potential.

NKau said:

Nick long time no see :nice: No,Im sorry..OK,Im not a Ford fan but I know just about every cid of all motors from the mid 60's to prsesent!! I never heard of a 360 Ford..BRB

actually i think they did make a 370 of sorts.......or some odd ball 385 series..........it wasn't a common car or truck engine but.......shared the block.........some of the old lincolns had some whacky engine variations too.

ford didn't just make mustangs.......lol.........they made engines for trucks, farm equipment, industrial stuff, large trucks, u-hauls, etc...there are lots of odd ball engine sizes, reason being they took what ever was the popular block at the time and modified it for what ever they were building it for........

they did make a 360, alot of them, same block, different crank,rods,pistons. there were also some industrial versions of the FE that used a bigger distributor housing for industrial use......my point being, just because some people never heard of a particular engine displacement doesn't mean they don't exist........and it is important to note some of them because you never know what you may find an old engine in and you can't tell just by looking at them. many 360's and 390's have been passed off as 428's, 289's as 302's, etc..

thats one of the things that was so confusing about fords back then is they had several different engine families and variations with in......