Why "PI" heads?

thx0258

Dec 6, 2003
This may sound like a ridiculously simple question, but what are "PI" heads? I just bought an '04 GT convertible and started looking through this forum for some performance options and started seeing "PI" heads mentioned alot. Of course, I know what a head swap is, but what exactly does the "PI" stand for? Why are these heads any better than what's on the car now?

• Sponsors (?)

thx0258 said:
This may sound like a ridiculously simple question, but what are "PI" heads? I just bought an '04 GT convertible and started looking through this forum for some performance options and started seeing "PI" heads mentioned alot. Of course, I know what a head swap is, but what exactly does the "PI" stand for? Why are these heads any better than what's on the car now?

I asked this same question a while back. I don't remember what PI stands for but you already have them. They are 99+ if I remember right...

Grats on your new stang!! You are just getting started on your "addiction", lol.

Bo

thx0258 said:

I found the response I got when I asked....

Performance Improved heads, all 99+ cars have them.

Bo

PI heads are Performance Inhanced heads. And yes they are on all 99+ Mustangs so you already have them. The 96-98 guys get them since they are slightly "ported" and they help their compression as well. For us, all we can do as far as heads is to fully port the ones we have. Their are a few aftermarket heads, but they arent much better than fully ported PI heads. Hopefully the aftermarket will catch up soon. Hope this helps :nice:

StangLou said:
PI heads are Performance Inhanced heads. And yes they are on all 99+ Mustangs so you already have them. The 96-98 guys get them since they are slightly "ported" and they help their compression as well. For us, all we can do as far as heads is to fully port the ones we have. Their are a few aftermarket heads, but they arent much better than fully ported PI heads. Hopefully the aftermarket will catch up soon. Hope this helps :nice:
Thanks for the speedy response! You explained exactly what I wanted(needed) to know.