why so slow?

mcbrides_ride

Mar 14, 2009
i have a great deal of bolt ons and i just cant figure out why i cant get the speed i should have can any one help? 89 lx 5.0- stock block and crank and pistons and heads. noisy gear drive b303 cam cobra upper and lower intake 24lb inj. adj. fuel pressure reg. 93 cobra super chip. electric fan under drive pulleys msd super coil msd wires dist. cap and rotor button c&l 73mm mass air 70 mm tb cold air induction 1 5/8 headers h pipe 2 1/2 flowmaster adj ride hieght coil over in the rear with lakewood 50/50 alum drive shaft 3.73 with auburn locker lowering springs in front im sure there is a few others i missed but what should i be turning time wise with this set up and what would be my best next mod to add or should i change my setup all together????? please help me im just not sure what to do!:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

What is the "93 cobra super chip"? Everything else sounds good, but that sounds sketchy.

Why do you think its slow? What times are you turning? With a 5 speed that setup should be good for 12.5 to 13.5 depending on driver skill and tires.

the 93 super chip is a computer chip that goes betwwen the wiring harness and comp. to reconfigure your factory comp. we only have 1/8 mile tracks around here and im turnin like 9.2 on street tires (never run a slick YET!) and yes im runnin a bw world class t5 and im thinkin its slow b/c i got out run by a trans am LS1 yesterday (but only by a car lenght) i really want to know what my best next move or mod would be for the money i have 2 kids and 3 step kids and im on a tight budget but i LOVE the thrill of a good run!!

my mass air is a 73 mm C&L mass air unit is this not a good match for the 24 lb. injectors? and no i have never run it without the super chip it was on it when i got the car and i ve never taken it off

the 93 super chip is a computer chip that goes betwwen the wiring harness and comp. to reconfigure your factory comp. we only have 1/8 mile tracks around here and im turnin like 9.2 on street tires (never run a slick YET!) and yes im runnin a bw world class t5 and im thinkin its slow b/c i got out run by a trans am LS1 yesterday (but only by a car lenght) i really want to know what my best next move or mod would be for the money i have 2 kids and 3 step kids and im on a tight budget but i LOVE the thrill of a good run!!

Don't beat yourself up just yet, the question is did the LS1 have any mods that would have helped him out or was it stock, if they had any supporting mods then the car was no sloutch! It was hard to tell from your post but the way I read it was your heads are stock?

Get slicks. Also he meant is the MAF calibrated for 24 lb injectors. 4.10 gears would be an expensive upgrade unless you know how to do it yourself. Also, do you still have the stock e7 heads on there? If you have the means, port them out and gasket match them to the intake/exhaust. If you have the budget, save up for some aftermarket aluminum heads

All things equal the LS1 will win everytime. Those cars will go at least mid 13s stock with a decent driver.
Don't judge your set-up from this race.

okay guys help me out here, no as far as i know my MAF has not been calibrated for the 24lb. injectors it was just stuck on there and plugged in ,second no my car has not been tuned so where would i begin to have that done at?and three, has no one else had any experience with the super chip, every one is telling me to try runnin without it, WHY??? what could the cons possibly be by runnin it? and finally yes my post said my heads are the stock (sucky) E7 heads and im hoping by next tax season i can get some after market alum. heads but which ones should i shoot for? please help me out guys i need experienced input here like i said i have 5 children (2 mine) (3 step-but just like mine :)-) that im supporting so i really have no room for trial and era i found this site and i love it there is much useful info on here and im an avid 5.0 stanger since the age 16 but now at 32 im really just now getting serious about an all out ass hauler!!! :) THANKS for everything so far!

okay guys help me out here, no as far as i know my MAF has not been calibrated for the 24lb. injectors it was just stuck on there and plugged in ,second no my car has not been tuned so where would i begin to have that done at?and three, has no one else had any experience with the super chip, every one is telling me to try runnin without it, WHY??? what could the cons possibly be by runnin it? and finally yes my post said my heads are the stock (sucky) E7 heads and im hoping by next tax season i can get some after market alum. heads but which ones should i shoot for? please help me out guys i need experienced input here like i said i have 5 children (2 mine) (3 step-but just like mine :)-) that im supporting so i really have no room for trial and era i found this site and i love it there is much useful info on here and im an avid 5.0 stanger since the age 16 but now at 32 im really just now getting serious about an all out ass hauler!!! :) THANKS for everything so far!

I feel you, I raised my wifes kids (never had one of my own) all these years and now I am about to get the oldest to college soon! I got my stock E7's ported by Thumper Performance and since I live 6 block from him, it was easy and cheap. Alot of peeps have their own opinions about ported heards vrs. aftermarket heads, but I am more than happy with my set up and I am looking at forced induction now. Get the stockers ported, add a good cam with an adjustable timming gear set. Just me.